Sprint Windows Phone 8

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
My question: What do you all think are the chances of Sprint making an announcement for Windows Phones this week during CTIA? (my personal answer: slim, but possible)

As a previous Sprint rep (as recently as March), there was no internal mention of Windows Phone at ALL. If you were to ask a rep today about it, they probably know as much as we do if not less. DISCLAIMER: My previous stint with Sprint has ZERO impact on my thoughts and opinions mentioned below.

I'm also a Sprint customer (have been long before I worked for them) and I love the money I save every month on my plan. LTE probably won't be in my area any time soon (although there have been random pop ups of LTE in a city 10 miles to my west) so I'm not expecting blazing speeds soon. EVDO coverage has gotten better over the past year (I roam a LOT less) and Sprint was the only carrier locally that kept service kicking continuously during Superstorm Sandy. For the latter two points, I give them props.

I've been eligible for a new phone since last June (almost a year!) and have been holding out since. My contract ran up on Oct. 3rd, but here I am still waiting for a WP8 device. In previous years, this would be unthinkable of me to do, I'd upgrade usually on the day I could... but there's nothing else in the Sprint lineup that makes me want to jump ship from WP. I also can't justify the over $25/month more I would be paying to go to AT&T (and even more on Verizon) just for the device itself. I have no complaints with coverage and customer service has been good to me for the most part.

As a customer, I'm happy with Sprint (as rare as that is to hear). All I want is a concrete announcement of when I can expect to get my hands on a WP8 device (ATIV S?!) so I can stop going nuts. I love my HTC Arrive that I've had since launch, but it really is starting to show its age despite having a custom ROM on it. The only big perk of the phone is having a physical keyboard.

I hope to hear something from Sprint soon.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My question: What do you all think are the chances of Sprint making an announcement for Windows Phones this week during CTIA? (my personal answer: slim, but possible)

I was hoping that they would mention something during the CTIA this week also. I share your sentiments about Sprint's plans and have no desire to end my service with them.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
A little article I found just shedding some light on the Sprint WP8 release date, but don't take it for gospel.

Ting dates Sprint’s Windows Phone 8 handsets to “late June or early July” | WMPoweruser

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok,
So my Co Worker has been waiting for windows phone 8 for Sprint for a long time now, I told him I heard they are coming in the summer from what we had heard in Jan at CES, now we have heard nothing since then, So he decided to call to reserve a new phone ? I don't know why since nothing is out yet but he got some disturbing news.
they told him that windows phone 8 was to going to be out for 3 to 6 months from now !!! Se said you have got to be kidding me, they told him its more like 6 months..
WOW
I know sprint hates windows phone or should I say their VP or Hardware does not like WP but that is why I left 3 years ago with the arrive came out and they told me it was a flagship phone that was coming ...They never reduced the price of the phone it always stayed at 199 on contract and never even tried to push the phone..
I HATE SPRINT....

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Well when it comes to Windows Phone Sprint reps are mostly clueless to he honest. If we don't hear anything by early July then that may be a cause for alarm. In my opinion info should start coming out after that Samsung Event for the device to start being rolled out for a July/August release. And yes I completely 100% agree that the wait does totally sucks, but with Sprint I noticed their devices hardly have hardware issues. So if the device is full operational without bugs & glitches & priced responsibly that should ease the pain a little I hope. My biggest issue/question mark is the price for the phones. I've been with Sprint for almost a decade I know that their devices can be pricey at launch.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not just Sprint. It's virtually every CDMA carrier in the US (Except for Verizon) which have taken a stand on Windows Phone, and as it happened on WP7, they will likely follow Sprint on how, when, and which devices will they offer.

All eyes on Sprint because they were the ones who made it clear to the FCC why Microsoft was avoiding using Qualcomm CDMA coding (masking China Mobile based coding was clever for a few weeks by Microsoft), and CDMA carriers have made it clear they will not carry WP8 devices until Qualcomm CDMA coding is used. Rubino is well aware of this, but his bias on Sprint has made him think this major problem as a non issue to be covered here (and I have called him off on all his inconsistencies based on his bias in a civilized matter).

The "Tiara" (which has been rumored to be renamed the 8V for being a device which has specs that makes it fall between the 8S and the 8X) is the first device which is Qualcomm approved, and I see this device on other carriers.

We can go on forever on this issue, but the evidence for lack of interest by Microsoft on markets where Qualcomm CDMA is required is very obvious, and the US is the most notorious example of it. Why do you guys think Microsoft had a job posting for Team Windows Phone for a Qualcomm certified CDMA coder?

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Major rumors hints launch of the "Tiara" around the third week of July. Just get ready for a shocker that will make someone's gaskets blow in a matter of seconds, and I could care less what he thinks of me after our "discussion" last weekend.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Both look very nice, but Looks like the Ativ S Neo would be the better device. And to have MicroSD slots is a major plus for both. Now, it's time to end all the bashing against Sprint, and it starts at the top in order to set example.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Both look very nice, but Looks like the Ativ S Neo would be the better device. And to have MicroSD slots is a major plus for both. Now, it's time to end all the bashing against Sprint, and it starts at the top in order to set example.

Agreed. The ATIV S Neo is definitely the better choice, and I intend on getting one but the 8XT is definitely a nice looking device but shares more with the 8S than the X... its more like an 8ST.

I also believe the Sprint bashing needs to slow down. While Sprint has its fair share of faults, you could say the same for any carrier. Believe it or not, there are those of us who are happy and loyal to the carrier for our own personal reasons. It's not right to always be crapping all over them because its the popular opinion. That's what most other sites are doing to Microsoft... it doesn't pay to be hypocritical.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My concern is the lower CPU speed. Is it a different (i.e. better) processor where the 1.4 is faster than the older 1.5? I do wish they had a 32GB option. I know you can add a mSD card, but not to load apps onto said card.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
My concern is the lower CPU speed. Is it a different (i.e. better) processor where the 1.4 is faster than the older 1.5? I do wish they had a 32GB option. I know you can add a mSD card, but not to load apps onto said card.
It's a different processor from what I literally just read on either here or The Verge (can't remember!).

From what I DO remember is that it uses a slightly different chip with a different GPU (Adreno 305 I believe?) compared to the Adreno 205 that the Lumia 920/HTC 8X both have. The 8S also uses the 305 GPU on a 1GHz dual-core Krait SoC. The Sprint phones definitely have a 300-series GPU, but I can't remember if it's 305 or the 320 that the Lumia 920T (exclusive to China) uses. My gut tells me that I think it was the 305.

I wish the ATIV S Neo kept the original 2300mAh battery of the ATIV S instead of knocking off 300mAh... it might not be MUCH to real-world use, but every little bit helps.

Edit: On Wikipedia - it seems the Adreno 305 is a newer, slightly more API rich GPU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno#Renaming_to_Adreno

Last edited:

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The battery can be replaced with one with more juice, and the processor is because there are not a whole lot of them supporting SMR 800MHz/PCS 1900MHz CDMA and LTE Band 25. A slightly slower processor also reduces the consumption of battery life, while making the device more stable for US based frequencies.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The battery can be replaced with one with more juice, and the processor is because there are not a whole lot of them supporting SMR 800MHz/PCS 1900MHz CDMA and LTE Band 25. A slightly slower processor also reduces the consumption of battery life, while making the device more stable for US based frequencies.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that the processor could affect stability of the frequencies, the faster the processor the more unstable it becomes. Would this apply also to the pure-GSM UK as well?

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the mobile platform, the boardset used, frequencies used by the carriers, LTE band, and a few others. I used to work for a major manufacturer of board sets for General Dynamics, and making sure the processors are compatible with the board set, software, firmware, and even source of electricity is crucial.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Let me give you another example that will make it clear. CPU boards for PCs are designed to allow up to a maximum processing speed and not to exceed a certain amount of RAM. In some cases when you make modifications to a unit in terms of maximum performance, you have to make sure you do not exceed either. On the RAM issue, the unit will let you know about the CPU and board not allowing you to use more RAM than the maximum allowed. While on the processor issue, don't overclock it to a point where it could "fry" the motherboard rendering it useless (this could cost you at least $200-300 minimum to replace as a whole, including the power source unit).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster