The UNcarrier plans leaked

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile 'UnCarrier' plans possibly leaked, make unlimited talk and text a given (updated)

T-Mobile made much ado at CES of its desire to become the "UnCarrier," with steps away from subsidies and the usual complexities of smartphones. Thanks to tipsters, we have a better sense of what the provider meant. A memo suggests that T-Mobile is revamping plans in the near future to make unlimited talk and text a de facto part of the experience, where data would be the only changeable factor: on Classic tiers , the starter $60 plan would have 500MB of full-speed data with hotspot support built-in, while subscribers could upgrade their service in 2GB increments that cost between $10-20 dollars per month for individuals. You'd still have 'real' unlimited data on Classic from $90, with the hotspot as a bolt-on option. What we've seen doesn't specify a date or price, but T-Mobile happens to have an appropriately-themed event coming up on the 26th; we wouldn't be shocked if we heard more at that stage.

Update: We've done some digging, and this is the full sheet that made a quick stopover at TmoNews. The Classic plans may only be available at third-party stores, while T-Mobile's own stores would go only with contract-free Value rates that start at $50 and include the $70 unlimited plan we saw in January.

t-mobile-uncarrier-leak-lg.jpg

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I currently have an unlimited data plan, but internet sharing (AKA SMBH tethering) still works, with no data caps present. (At least on my device.)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like TMO decided to launch sooner rather than later

T-Mobile takes its UnCarrier plans live earlier than expected
Yeah well... F that. They screwed over all of their legacy plan holders. None of them are able to upgrade phones anywhere, unless they go to a third-party authorized retailer... that will promptly not be able to upgrade them until they are on a recognized classic plan (which would undo the cost savings of a legacy plan).

As a legacy plan holder with an amazing plan, my thought process is, "If I have to pay full price for the phone anyway, or front a down payment and have an increased monthly bill, why not jump to an MVNO with a lower monthly cost?" Simple Mobile and Straight Talk come to mind, and I can use Windows Phones on both. It's not like I'm saving money on T-Mobile's new plans either... they're more expensive to get the same features I have on my account now, plus my account USED to have (until today) phone upgrades/subsidies built in.

I, unfortunately, lost an upgrade I was saving for whatever new Lumia T-Mobile is rumored to be getting this summer... but I at least locked in to contract for a $10 monthly discount until November 2014 (and have a fully paid Lumia 810 with warranty that was gifted to me) so until then I get to pay MVNO rates ($48-51/month after tax). If the UNcarrier thing doesn't work out by then, maybe they'll switch back and I won't consider leaving.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This looks interesting, my at&t bill is about $120 every month + taxes inc govt discouts for the basic talk package + tethering data plan. For $70 I get unlimited everything and tethering but the real problem is getting a decent WP on T-Mobile, which is probably not going to be any better than its been up to now. Importing is one way but not sure how well they work in the US regarding region locked apps. If I can get it to work thats quite a saving for me though.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah well... F that. They screwed over all of their legacy plan holders. None of them are able to upgrade phones anywhere, unless they go to a third-party authorized retailer... that will promptly not be able to upgrade them until they are on a recognized classic plan (which would undo the cost savings of a legacy plan).

As a legacy plan holder with an amazing plan, my thought process is, "If I have to pay full price for the phone anyway, or front a down payment and have an increased monthly bill, why not jump to an MVNO with a lower monthly cost?" Simple Mobile and Straight Talk come to mind, and I can use Windows Phones on both. It's not like I'm saving money on T-Mobile's new plans either... they're more expensive to get the same features I have on my account now, plus my account USED to have (until today) phone upgrades/subsidies built in.

I, unfortunately, lost an upgrade I was saving for whatever new Lumia T-Mobile is rumored to be getting this summer... but I at least locked in to contract for a $10 monthly discount until November 2014 (and have a fully paid Lumia 810 with warranty that was gifted to me) so until then I get to pay MVNO rates ($48-51/month after tax). If the UNcarrier thing doesn't work out by then, maybe they'll switch back and I won't consider leaving.
The MVNOs do not offer true unlimited data like T-mobile does. It's actually cheaper to buy a phone outright rather than be subsidized, plus you're no longer tied down to a contract. All in all its still much cheaper than the competition which can be twice as much and don't offer as much.
This looks interesting, my at&t bill is about $120 every month + taxes inc govt discouts for the basic talk package + tethering data plan. For $70 I get unlimited everything and tethering but the real problem is getting a decent WP on T-Mobile, which is probably not going to be any better than its been up to now. Importing is one way but not sure how well they work in the US regarding region locked apps. If I can get it to work thats quite a saving for me though.

The 8X is an excellent Windows Phone on T-mobile, same as the 920 in specs except pure etc and the Nokia exclusive apps. Plus T-mobile is rumored to be getting a 920 variant as well around June.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The 8X is an excellent Windows Phone on T-mobile, same as the 920 in specs except pure etc and the Nokia exclusive apps. Plus T-mobile is rumored to be getting a 920 variant as well around June.

Thanks, but I'm not a fan of HTC and not going to wait for something that is far from certain (like the L900 rumours last year) so if I do move I'll be looking at getting a Rogers 920.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The MVNOs do not offer true unlimited data like T-mobile does. It's actually cheaper to buy a phone outright rather than be subsidized, plus you're no longer tied down to a contract. All in all its still much cheaper than the competition which can be twice as much and don't offer as much.
Sorry, I was a little upset when I wrote what you replied to (which means I probably shouldn't have written it) but let me clarify and try and be more clear:

For me (and I imagine other people) on a legacy plan, the new plans still do not actually save any money. My plan offers more for the same price. Before tax, I pay $59.49 for practically unlimited minutes (1000 min + free calls to 5 people), unlimited text, and 5gb data before throttle. Plus I get a subsidized phone with that. The new plan is $60 for unlimited mins and text, and 2.5gb data, and you have to pay for the phone on top of that. So basically, for me, 50 cents extra for the plan, lose half my data allotment, and then have to tack on a monthly fee for the phine (or a big upfront payment).

I certainly agree that the new plans are cheaper than the competition and for many people on T-Mobile will be great to switch to... but there are some really good legacy plans out there, some better than mine, and they're getting kind of the short end of the stick. I'm also unable to upgrade at an authorized retailer because my old data plan is incompatible with the classic plans in their system, so it forces me to tack on an expensive data plan.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You all do realize that when you are on a contract you're basically financing the new, shiny phone you've been lusting for. When the 2 years are up and you've finished that subsidy, does your rate go down? No. You're still on the same rate as if you were still paying for a subsidized phone. Solution? Ditch the contract and negotiate a lower rate. If the carrier won't budge I suggest you run, not walk, to your nearest MVNO. Most people are not aware of this and are paying to pad their carrier's bottom line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720