T-Mobile CEO tells carriers to stop with the BS pricing

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
From Verge

I agree, pricing is horrible at both AT&T and Verizon. Right now I'm paying AT&T $137 a month for two lines, basically 69 bucks for both lines. We're on a mobile share plan and only get 1GB of data between two phones. Thankfully I have wifi just about everywhere I go but that doesn't change the fact that 1GB is easy to blow through.

Given the chance I would immediately leap to T-Mobile's cheaper plans. I can live with 2GB/$60 for my phone and 500MB/$50 for my girl's phone. Unfortunately, T-Mobile's network still has too many holes. I tried signing up for T-Mobile a few months back only to discover that I have zero signal at home and a barely usable signal at work. That simply won't do.

dandiar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dude, the carriers in your country are clearly ****ting you. I pay USD$34/month and i get unlimited text, 100 mins of free outgoing calls and free incoming calls. Also, i get like, 3GB of data.

Bottom line, i agree with your statement. Pricing is horrible on every carrier in your country.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Dude, the carriers in your country are clearly ****ting you. I pay USD$34/month and i get unlimited text, 100 mins of free outgoing calls and free incoming calls. Also, i get like, 3GB of data.

Bottom line, i agree with your statement. Pricing is horrible on every carrier in your country.

But we had LTE while your country had 3g hahaha.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
From a business standpoint, it is more advantageous to have people on contracts, since it means you have a relatively stable source of revenue.

Here in the US, there really isn't any advantage to paying full price for a phone, since you are pretty much locked into one carrier, and you still pay the same price for the monthly service, unless you opt to go with an MVNO, which may present different issues.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Well its your choice if you want to be screwed here. You can always go for a pre paid plan. I have one. I pay $45. I get unlimited talk & text. I get 3 GB of data although i have gone over that a bunch of times. So . . . I don't know what the exact limit is.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Well its your choice if you want to be screwed here. You can always go for a pre paid plan. I have one. I pay $45. I get unlimited talk & text. I get 3 GB of data although i have gone over that a bunch of times. So . . . I don't know what the exact limit is.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Problem with prepaid like StraightTalk is the data. Speeds get slow when you go over 2GB. I use 6GB a month average. I have still yet to find better service with any other carrier with the speeds I get with AT&T LTE. Also I have been with them so long(16years) that they will just about do anything I ask of them. I have 4 lines on my Mobile Share plan and couldn't be happier.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Completely agree that pricing in this country is ridiculously high, compared to what I've heard others get elsewhere in the world.

Regardless, with what you just posted, there's actually a better plan here. For $30 on T-Mobile US (via their prepaid options, rather than postpaid) you can get 100 minutes of calls, unlimited text, and 5GB data at "4G" speeds. 10 cents/min for extra minutes. If that's offered in the US, then certainly there is some carrier in some country that has already beaten it. You should shop around ;)

Then again, doing direct currency conversions suck anyway because it's rarely a fair comparison. So it's probably still cheaper there.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Straight Talk is the only MNVO I would consider but they don't allow streaming on their network (d'oh) and they their unlimited plans don't include WiFi hotspot (though I hear some are still able to use it). Oh, and then there's the recent change in their policy which makes my AT&T phones unusable. From their wiki page.

Straight Talk formerly allowed customers to bring an AT&T GSM phone or to purchase a SIM card that offers service on AT&T's network. As of February 2013, America Movil has discontinued both options from both the Straight Talk and NET10 websites. In addition, most references (besides support articles) have been edited to remove any mentions to AT&T-compatible service. It is unclear as to whether AT&T-compatible sales have been permanently discontinued or not. Existing customers are not impacted by this change.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

In the US we have over 200 000 cell towers. How many does your country have. Somebody had to built all those towers and it costs a lot of money. I can call Hawaii and Alaska with my included minutes. You try to call some other EU country. Let's see how much that costs.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In the US we have over 200 000 cell towers. How many does your country have. Somebody had to built all those towers and it costs a lot of money. I can call Hawaii and Alaska with my included minutes. You try to call some other EU country. Let's see how much that costs.

90p flat rate. I pay ?16/mth (about $27/mth, 12 month contract) and get UNLIMITED EVERYTHING.

Also, consider that we're talking different countries entirely here. That's not the same. And there's plenty carriers over here that offer international calling for as little as 1p a minute.

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The phone subsidy or lack of is going to be the hard sale for Tmobile I think.

Me too! I looked in to T Mobile this weekend and seen the price of the phones and said no way! I have Sprint right now and lack of phones and service coming from AT&T has been hard to deal with. The service where I live is great but when traveling is tough sometimes. I left AT&T after they informed me that I would no longer be grandfathered in as unlimited. I had them from 1996-2012. I was out of contract the last couple years.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Me too! I looked in to T Mobile this weekend and seen the price of the phones and said no way! I have Sprint right now and lack of phones and service coming from AT&T has been hard to deal with. The service where I live is great but when traveling is tough sometimes. I left AT&T after they informed me that I would no longer be grandfathered in as unlimited. I had them from 1996-2012. I was out of contract the last couple years.

The catch with T-Mobile's new phone pricing is that those who are still waiting for their service contract to expire are going to have to wait until they can take advantage of their "anytime upgrade" plans.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb