AT&T customer traveling abroad with my Lumia 920

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for some tips on traveling abroad with my AT&T Lumia 920. I'm going to France and Switzerland. I saw on AT&T's web site that they offer rather expensive voice, text and data plan for Western Europe. They charge $120 for a limited 800MB data plan plus another $30 for voice (80min) and another $30 for 200 text messages. I would have to shell out $180 (+taxes) for this package in addition to my regular monthly service charges. Any overages will be charged at an extra high rate. So here are a few questions:

1. What is the best and least expensive way to get cellular service for a smartphone in these two countries?
  2. Can I buy a pre-paid SIM card from any carrier and use it with my Lumia 920? If not...
  3. ...are there pre-paid phones and plans available like here in the U.S.? (I can buy an Android phone for about $80 which includes a $25 pre-paid card.)
  4. Anything else I have to watch out for?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I go to France twice a year, so I can probably help you out here. First, have tried calling AT&T and telling them you are going overseas and you need the unlock code for your 920?. It won't work overseas unless it's unlocked. If you can get the unlock code, it's real simple. When you put a French SIM card in your phone, it will ask you for the unlock code. Then you are good to go. If you don't speak French, make sure you know where to go on your phone to change languages. Once you put a French SIM card in your phone, everything on your phone changes to French, including the keyboard.

There are 3 major wireless carriers in France. They are Orange, SFR and Bouygues Telecom. I always use Orange because they have the most stores. Don't bother with SFR because they won't sell you data on a temporary SIM card, only Voice and Text.

How long is your stay in France and Switzerland?

Any other questions feel free to ask away.

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm staying in France for one week and in Switzerland for another 3 weeks. If I can get my 920 unlocked I will get a temporary SIM card from Orange since they also offer service in Switzerland. Otherwise I'll check into the prepaid phones as you mentioned below. Thanks again.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The only other things I can tell you is there's a 2 day wait for data after you get your SIM card from Orange (I don't know why, I've never asked), plus you need your passport. You just have to pop into an Orange store and purchase a data package. You can get 200MB of data for 5 euro. #123# gives you your balance on Orange If you are with someone else that has a phone with a front facing camera, Orange supports video calling, no 3rd party application is necessary. When you go to make a call, you select either voice or video calling.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Also if ATT won't give you the unlock codes you can buy an older unlocked world phone from ebay pretty cheap and use that phone for your trip. That's what my wife did when she went over seas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes