As many of you are aware, T-Mobile has decided to EOL the Lumia 810 and removed the HTC 8X from their website, perhaps for good. In the 810's place, T-Mobile will release the inferior Lumia 521. But why would T-Mobile EOL a mid-range WP8 phone when they're WP line is already lacking? I think they're new UNcarrier strategy might have something to do with it.

If T-Mobile expects customers to pay full price for their phones then their phones have to be relative inexpensive. A quick look at T-Mobile's website reveals a slew of low-end Android handsets. Some you may have never heard of. And amongst all those terrible low-end handsets is a small splattering of today's most popular phones. I'm talking of course about the iPhone and Galaxy line. The HTC One is also coming soon. T-Mobile has some great high-end handsets but their middle tier is sorely lacking.

I'd argue that T-Mobile is purposely trimming their middle tier. Perhaps because their UNcarrier strategy leaves little room for mid-tier phones. The 810 is/was $449 off-contract. That's a bit steep for a mid-range phone. A customer is more likely to buy a high end Galaxy before dropping nearly $500 on an 810. Thus, why bother keeping the 810? Customers know they can get a better value, making the 810 a pretty hard sell. It's getting replaced by the Lumia 521 because the 521 can be purchased within that $200 sweet spot that T-Mobile is looking for. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 8X replaced with the 8S.

T-Mobile is stuffing their coffers with low-end, cheap smartphones. IMO, that's going to leave them with the worst selection of the big four.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-19-2013 01:48 AM
    I never considered T-Mobile, since its coverage here is abysmal. One of my cousins who lives in Cleveland had T-Mobile, but she switched to AT&T. All of my family/friends here have AT&T or VZW. Expensive/cheap and contract/no contract are meaningless if one cannot get decent coverage.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-19-2013 02:23 AM
    Word on the street is that the 8X isn't EOL'ed but is just being restocked and should be back on the website within a week. I don't think they'll have the worst selection because with the refarm nearly complete one can simply buy an unlocked GSM phone from elsewhere for use on the network. Thus allowing an unlimited selection of phones
    04-20-2013 04:13 PM
    What up Eric...I know we go way back, but T-Mobile officially sucks to me now...their customer service was top notch 4 and a half years ago, and the phone selection is fit for the dollar store. Sorry to say it, but T-Mobile has fallen off big time, and this move to EOL a 5 month old phone and replace it with an inferior model shows you just how incompetent this company has become...they have the precious iPhone now, everything else is on the back burner.
    04-20-2013 04:49 PM
    A smaller selection yes, but that doesn't make it worse. As long as they have what you want it's a good selection.
    04-20-2013 05:18 PM
    What up Eric...I know we go way back, but T-Mobile officially sucks to me now...their customer service was top notch 4 and a half years ago, and the phone selection is fit for the dollar store. Sorry to say it, but T-Mobile has fallen off big time, and this move to EOL a 5 month old phone and replace it with an inferior model shows you just how incompetent this company has become...they have the precious iPhone now, everything else is on the back burner.
    A carrier really can't EOL a phone without OEM approval. No other carrier offers the flexibility that T-mobile offers so I'll stick with them.
    04-21-2013 03:58 PM
    Good luck to you 😊.
    04-22-2013 02:41 PM
    Interesting, I came here because I couldn't find the 8X on T-Mobile's site. In fact, the only Windows Phone I could find was a refurb Lumia 6xx. I hope you're right about the 8x not being gone for good.

But it raises the question - if t-mo wanted to become simply the 'BYOD' company, then they'd have to make all of their bands compatible with the only other major GSM carrier in the US, ATT. What good is it if I can switch to t-mo & bring my phone if I lose LTE (granted, HSPA+ is pretty good in my area, but not everywhere)? I guess my point is that if they're still building out their LTE network, then they'd almost have to continue getting carrier-specific phones which match their LTE bands...otherwise, what's the point of becoming the 'uncarrier?'
    04-24-2013 08:58 PM
    They can't just flip a switch and use the bands of another company. The phone you bring has to support the bands T-mobile uses. The main point of being uncarrier is no contracts, not that every phone works on T-mobile.
    Last edited by Knight018; 04-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-26-2013 12:29 PM
    Interesting, I came here because I couldn't find the 8X on T-Mobile's site. In fact, the only Windows Phone I could find was a refurb Lumia 6xx. I hope you're right about the 8x not being gone for good.

But it raises the question - if t-mo wanted to become simply the 'BYOD' company, then they'd have to make all of their bands compatible with the only other major GSM carrier in the US, ATT. What good is it if I can switch to t-mo & bring my phone if I lose LTE (granted, HSPA+ is pretty good in my area, but not everywhere)? I guess my point is that if they're still building out their LTE network, then they'd almost have to continue getting carrier-specific phones which match their LTE bands...otherwise, what's the point of becoming the 'uncarrier?'
    I thought AT&T phones support the AWS (1700/2100) spectrum for LTE?
    04-26-2013 11:32 PM