06-15-2013 08:39 AM
26 12
tools
    Does anybody have any updates on Sprint? I know that they have a WP8 Page set aside on their website, but any more info on when they will be releasing their two Windows Phone devices? Not gonna lie, it's hard watching all the other major US carriers get all these new phones and still be sitting here with my HTC Arrive....
    05-14-2013 10:15 AM
    None. And yeah, they've had that "coming soon" page up for quite some time. Quite honestly I forgot Sprint.
    05-14-2013 10:20 AM
    Hehe, I feel you. My arrive is quickly degrading from overuse. I cannot even use the speakers half the time...really hoping they hurry as I want to stay unlimited (with 4g LTE) but damn they are making it hard to stay put.
    05-14-2013 01:10 PM
    Right?? My touchscreen is starting to go out and my battery life is horrible... I'm just here for the Unlimited Data too haha
    05-14-2013 06:31 PM
    Has Sprint been bought yet? I know the Chinese group (I think) that were wanting to buy it were really wanting to breath new life into Sprint.
    05-14-2013 06:57 PM
    I was just thinking about news from Sprint on Windows Phone. So far, they are not announcing anything but that's not unusual for Grandad Mobile. They will keep stuff on the down low almost until the day before it officially drops. What you should be looking for are those announcements the customers reps are training on the phone. That almost always gets out.
    05-14-2013 07:07 PM
    Has Sprint been bought yet? I know the Chinese group (I think) that were wanting to buy it were really wanting to breath new life into Sprint.
    Softbank is the Japanese group you're thinking about, but Dish Network has also put in a new offer for Sprint and that has caused everything to come to a standstill :/
    05-14-2013 10:05 PM
    I was just thinking about news from Sprint on Windows Phone. So far, they are not announcing anything but that's not unusual for Grandad Mobile. They will keep stuff on the down low almost until the day before it officially drops. What you should be looking for are those announcements the customers reps are training on the phone. That almost always gets out.
    As usual, always misinformed. Let's ask Microsoft about that deadline it has to meet with Sprint (and the FCC on July 31st) to have the CDMA coding up to Qualcomm standards, and drop the China mobile standard currently used (and you can stop saying this is just a Sprint issue because this involves virtually every CDMA carrier in the US that will not touch WP8 devices. Take a visit at xda and ask about the current CDMA coding used on WP8 so you and Daniel can get instructed on why Microsoft insisted in using the current coding over what Qualcomm and the FCC are pushing for CDMA coding and encryption standards, and why most who knoe about this are siding with Sprint and the carriers that will not bugde on the broken CDMA code. It works in China for the reason their government spies on everything their citizens say, but in the rest of CDMA world will not touch anything beyond Qualcomm based standards because protection of privacy is very important, especially in the USA).
    05-15-2013 02:23 PM
    Umm.... then why does Verizon have 2 windows phones with a 3rd about to drop? They also use cdma. If Verizon has 3 cdma windows 8 phones, how does this post make any sense?
    05-16-2013 12:37 AM
    Verizon had 3 devices. The fourth dropped today...822,8x,ativ odyssey, 928...
    05-16-2013 01:06 AM
    Umm.... then why does Verizon have 2 windows phones with a 3rd about to drop? They also use cdma. If Verizon has 3 cdma windows 8 phones, how does this post make any sense?
    China Mobile based CDMA coding used on all three (soon to be 4) devices vs Qualcomm based CDMA coding (which is what Sprint, USCC, nTelos, Open Mobile De Puerto Rico, Bluegrass, C Spire, Premier, United Wireless, Nex-Tech, Appalacchian Wireless, Alaska Wireless, Cricket, and several other carriers as well as the FCC want from Microsoft, Google, Blackberry, Apple, and the manufacturers)? Do you think every carrier in the CDMA side of the market (which represents over 60% of the US market) and the FCC is wrong about demanding Microsoft to use Qualcomm standards because of security reasons?

Why do you think only Verizon was foolish not to make Microsoft wait for Qualcomm CDMA coding in risks of having their network compromised with intentionally broken China Mobile based coding (yes, I say broken because the People's Republic Of China demands it that way in order to spy on their citizens in regards to their mobile activities, and because Microsoft has been avoiding hiring someone who is Qualcomm certified until 6 months ago when they posted the Qualcomm certified coder/engineer for the headquarters, knowing they have a HARD deadlinw with the FCC to meet new standards before August 1, 2013).

For many this sounds like nonsense if you think CDMA is CDMA regardless of who codes it (and that is a very inaccurate assumption by many here). Is like saying iDen and Open GSM are the same and although similar, they are way different (iDen cannot do 3G/4G data compared to GSM and Open GSM).
    enthuz and iknowsingh like this.
    05-16-2013 12:42 PM
    China Mobile based CDMA coding used on all three (soon to be 4) devices vs Qualcomm based CDMA coding (which is what Sprint, USCC, nTelos, Open Mobile De Puerto Rico, Bluegrass, C Spire, Premier, United Wireless, Nex-Tech, Appalacchian Wireless, Alaska Wireless, Cricket, and several other carriers as well as the FCC want from Microsoft, Google, Blackberry, Apple, and the manufacturers)? Do you think every carrier in the CDMA side of the market (which represents over 60% of the US market) and the FCC is wrong about demanding Microsoft to use Qualcomm standards because of security reasons?

Why do you think only Verizon was foolish not to make Microsoft wait for Qualcomm CDMA coding in risks of having their network compromised with intentionally broken China Mobile based coding (yes, I say broken because the People's Republic Of China demands it that way in order to spy on their citizens in regards to their mobile activities, and because Microsoft has been avoiding hiring someone who is Qualcomm certified until 6 months ago when they posted the Qualcomm certified coder/engineer for the headquarters, knowing they have a HARD deadlinw with the FCC to meet new standards before August 1, 2013).

For many this sounds like nonsense if you think CDMA is CDMA regardless of who codes it (and that is a very inaccurate assumption by many here). Is like saying iDen and Open GSM are the same and although similar, they are way different (iDen cannot do 3G/4G data compared to GSM and Open GSM).
    I was looking for the link to the tech article explaining the differences, but you seem to have sum'd it up here. If I find it I will still post it here, because it is a commonly asked and mistaken question.
    05-16-2013 06:58 PM
    I don't think it is so much a matter of people not knowing the difference, but rather, they just don't care about how their phone is coded, as long as they get one.
    05-16-2013 07:38 PM
    I did not know, thanks for the clarification and if you do have a link to more info I would be interested to read it. Most people don't even know that there is GSM and CDMA. Also, for that matter from what I noticed, there were 2 GSM carriers and 2 CDMA carriers. Of those 4, 3 had wp8. I hadn't thought about he smaller companies (and to be honest I never heard of most of the ones you mentioned). So if there are security concerns, I think Sprint should just come out and say it. "we are waiting for blah blah blah before we release WP8. That would be far better than silence. Anyway, thanks for the info, I didn't know. I had heard about security concerns with some Huweii (sp) phones made in China, but that was it.
    05-16-2013 11:43 PM
    If you want the full technical breakdowns then head over to FCC.gov. There was a more laymen's write-up that I'm still looking for. Basically Apple and Google meet the requirements a couple of years ago, which is why they are everywhere. Microsoft didn't want to comply to the stronger Qualcomm standards so they stopped short at meeting the China code which Verizon uses. FCC has a mandated deadline for all to comply to the Qualcomm standards which I believe is this Summer...seeing the picture here? Also on top of this, there is the Blue (8.1) release set for...you guessed it...Summer. So none of this is under Sprint's control directly. We are waiting for MS and maybe Samsung (I don't know their NDA agreement over this) to leak some information. I'm assuming that MS doesn't want anything else on our minds with the 21st event coming next week. Back to back news releases will keep MS in everyone's mouth and news boards I'm sure. This CDMA talk has been common thread on many other OS boards for years. I don't have the slightest clue as to why Sprint refuses to speak out publicly about it to take some of the backlash off of them. I guess LTE issues was all they wanted to handle at a time.
    05-17-2013 11:27 AM
    I was thinking the same thing summer is almost here so hopefully by the end of this month I mean I realllyyy hope. My arrive is dying on my second one too.... C'mon sprint...
    05-17-2013 11:36 AM
    Just to give you guys some relief the new sprint phones will have the latest windows phone update maybe there waiting for MS to announce it at BUILD next week.
    05-17-2013 12:49 PM
    As enthuz have said, Microsoft is in a deadline with the FCC and perhaps every CDMA carrier (including Verizon) to meet the new Qualcomm CDMA coding and encryption standards. Ironically, 8.1, the summer deadline with Sprint (as well as HTC, Samsung, and *wait for it* Nokia), and the deadline with the FCC (August 1, 2013 for the new CDMA and GSM standards carriers, manufacturers and operating system companies) are in the same timeframe.

This should have been obvious when there were not more CDMA devices for WP7 in the US and Puerto Rico (and for those wondering, there are two CDMA carriers in that small island: Sprint and Open Mobile De Puerto Rico).
    iknowsingh likes this.
    05-17-2013 02:57 PM
    Sprint at this point is blatantly ignoring there users. Not giving giving us any info of hope at all. Talk about great customer service!
    06-14-2013 01:10 PM
    Nothing official from Sprint yet, but marketing photos of the HTC Tiara have now been leaked. It would seem we're getting closer.

Sprint HTC Tiara Windows Phone 8 smartphone leaks in PR image | Mobile & Apps

-Skippy
    06-14-2013 01:22 PM
    There are rumors the "Tiara" will drop with it's official name sometime in July, pointing towards the third week of July.

Donthate707: the reality is Microsoft has been very reluctant to comply with FCC/Qualcomm standards for CDMA, which is the major reason there were NO second generation WP7 devices on any US based CDMA carrier, and why only Verizon (and it was very foolish of them to do so) accepted WP8 devices which aren't fully optimized for their network.

Don't blame Sprint for an issue Microsoft was strongly ordered by the FCC to properly addressed and get help from Qualcomm (why do you think Microsoft had a position open for a Qualcomm Certified CDMA coder for Team
    Windows Phone several months ago? Because they knew they faced the chance of the FCC suspending sales of Windows Phone devices for every carrier in the US if they did not meet the nee GSM and especially the CDMA standards the FCC will enforce starting August 1st).

Is easier to blame the third largest carrier on the postpaid side than actually having the guts to ask Steve Ballmer why they refused to use Qualcomm based CDMA from the start....
    06-14-2013 07:19 PM
    Mrmdj, what is the source of the information? I'm not saying you're wrong, just would like to see more on this.

I also wonder why Sprint wouldn't simply point the finger at MS if this is true, and why I haven't heard of issues on Verizon (though I am aware that as an at&t customer a lot of WP Verizon news gets past me).

In addition, as an ex-WebOS owner I already have my opinions on Sprint anyway that are highly unfavorable. But what really forced me to leave them was the incredible drop in service quality that occurred 2 years ago. A tower went down somewhere around here and they literally determined to not repair it, screwing all existing customers under contract. They went round and round on he issue with the school district my wife is a principal at, and in the end they finally said they simply would not repair it. And this is in a major Chicago suburb.
    06-14-2013 08:09 PM
    Let me ask you one simple question. How come CDMA carriers in the US lacked second generation WP7 devices, and why there is only one CDMA currently carrying WP8 devices with China Mobile coding? You can check FCC filings for the four devices on Verizon and break into the source code for WP8 to see the coding used.
    06-14-2013 10:51 PM
    Let me ask you one simple question. How come CDMA carriers in the US lacked second generation WP7 devices, and why there is only one CDMA currently carrying WP8 devices with China Mobile coding? You can check FCC filings for the four devices on Verizon and break into the source code for WP8 to see the coding used.
    Don't feel like a two year research project... a bit busy for that. ;-)

As far as I've ever heard Verizon and Sprint had no interest in devices. You're the first person I've heard say it's MS fault.

Again, not saying you're wrong, but why wouldn't the carriers just say that if it's the case rather than generating all the angst from WP fans? Why hasn't this been widely reported as a problem? And why aren't current Verizon WP8 customers rioting if the code is so unreliable?

Just confused...
    06-15-2013 04:58 AM
    There was some interest even when sales figures were not stellar regardless of carrier.

The answers to your question lays on the hearings the FCC had which invloved the major carriers, several OEMS, Microsoft, Google, Apple, and Blackberry back in the summer of 2011, for which the minutes of that hearing have not been made public, and there are several FOIA requests pending because people want the truth. Once those FOIA requests are granted, then it would be up to the readers to decide if it was Microsoft which decided to ignore the CDMA community in the US because of something named Qualcomm standards, and why the FCC is imposing full Qualcomm compliance from the carriers, OEMs, and mobile platform developers.

And if someone thinks the FCC does not have the authority to do so, they actually have full legal authority to do so via several acts and laws
    06-15-2013 08:09 AM
26 12