Switch to nokia 928, will I lose my unlimited?

heyitsapencil

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I am not sure if this will still work. I have unlimited lte with verizon right now. Let's call this line A, and this line has an upgrade. If I add a new line (now call it line B) with a basic phone (the 9.99 plan). Could I transfer my upgrade from line A to line B. Then take that phone and switch it to line A. (I believe it is called rinse and repeat). I am reading around and I am a little confused about Verizon's new upgrade transfer policy. I am asking because I would like to switch to a nokia 928. Any help help would be great.

Thanks again

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If I recall, as long as you pay full retail price for the device and put it on the line you want, unlimited data will be kept because you are not extending your contract with Verizon on the line in question.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
What you want to do is add a line, and put the 928 on the new line. Then you can do an esn change to switch the 928 to a basic phone, which will drop the data off, leaving the new line at $9.99. Then you can activate the SIM in the 928 to your line.

Just don't expect the store to do all that for you. There are major red flags with that process, and they are watching stores closely for this practice. Go to the store (or wherever you get the phone from) and just act like you want to add a line and get the 928. Then you can do everything else from home.

kuya_wil

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If you do what I did, you can use the device payment plan if you can't pay the full retail price all at once. But this can only be done in store and you have to qualify for it. If you have good payment history, you should qualify. Just another option to keep your unlimited data.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The changed it so you can no longer steal a basic phone's upgrade to get a smartphone for another line on the account. And they also changed it so if you do transfer upgrades, the line that gets the phone loses the unlimited, not the line that actually gets extended.

heyitsapencil

May 27, 2013
Visit site
so if I add a line with a basic phone first (9.99 plan), and then transfer my upgrade to that line (so I can get a 928), then take the 928 (after I activate it on the new line). Then I swap the 928 esn to the unlimited, and move the new line back to a $9.99 plan. I should not breach the new transfer policy, because the initial plan was a basic phone to begin with? Coincidentally I am getting rid of my landline and the $9.99 plan will work well as opposed to what my family pays now.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
No, opposite. Activate the new line on the 928. Then do an esn change to activate a basic phone to the new line - deactivating the 928. Now you can then esn change the 928 onto your line, and still keep the unlimited.

Just buy a basic phone on Craigslist or eBay for cheap. If you buy one at the retail store, you are looking at at least $200.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750