Verizon Network Extender?

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about purchasing the Verizon Wireless Network Extender for my house as our signal is so weak there that I cant make or receive calls/texts. I live in a rural area and it's the only place that I've found that the signal doesn't work.

Has anyone used this device? Any suggestions? Normally when I'm home the phone is always on my home internet connection but it would be nice to make calls if needed, especially 911. We have a Google Voice # attached to an ObiTalk box which works great for calls but it doesn't have 911.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I use one for the same reason poor signal works good as long as you have fast internet connection aslo call Verizon and bug them about how poor your connection is and they should give you a discount on the price

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I could try asking for a discount, but I already get 22% due to the company I work for. I need to sell a couple of things but I think I may buy the extender, I've been reading good reviews on it from other people as well.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Each carrier has these devices. They will normally give you these devices for an extreme discount in situations like yours to keep you as a customer. Just a thought.

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Each carrier has these devices. They will normally give you these devices for an extreme discount in situations like yours to keep you as a customer. Just a thought.
Thank you, I just called and got 60% off... I ordered and it will be in on Tuesday. My wife says I could have pushed more to get it low but I had already gotten them to take the setup fee of the new phones (Lumia 928 of course) and saved $30 there.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Have one, works well. Got it for $100. Seemed a bit wonky with an old VZW phone Page Plus though. Only flaw I ever noticed.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
VOIP uses very little bandwidth, maybe 3MB for a 5 minute call.

yes you are right and its nice to see full signal but call quality can get choppy at times like when other family members are streaming video or downloading even when it shows full bars

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
here is a good site to test your internet connection it will give you an idea of call quality you will get with the network extender

VoIP Test, VoIP Readiness Tool | 8x8, Inc.
I have the Turbo package so I know that wont be a problem. We use Google Voice with an ObiTalk VOIP box for our home phone and it works well, I just would like for our cell phones to work as well and not constantly look for a signal.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
don't get me wrong now it has done what it says for me I can actually call from inside my house but other factors will effect the quality from time to time. Also set it up for "managed access" otherwise its open to any Verizon phone in range

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
don't get me wrong now it has done what it says for me I can actually call from inside my house but other factors will effect the quality from time to time. Also set it up for "managed access" otherwise its open to any Verizon phone in range

I plan on that even though I live in a rural area and can barely see the next neighbor. :)

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to update the thread so if anyone else is thinking about getting one they have have more to think about.

I've been using the extender for about 2 weeks now and it works great, we get a strong "3G" signal inside our house and can make calls and send text messages with no problems. My father's US Cellular phone doesn't connect to it though; I read that some non-Verizon phones will but maybe it's the model he has.

The best part is now, when my wife is home alone with our child she can make 911 calls if needed. The device comes with a ~15' GPS extension cable which I use. The box is in my network closet and the cable runs along other cable runs through the joists to a window in the basement. One thing to note if you are setting one up, I had to enable UPnP on my router- normally it is enabled but I had just updated to the latest version of Tomato and forgot to enable it, once I did that it was able to connect to Verizon. You can also manually specify the ports to be open which are: 500, 4500, 53,and 52428

Attachments

• IMG_8285.jpg
    IMG_8285.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 4

Susan Sawatzky

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had the problem of the Samsung verizon extender not showing an Ethernet connection with the centurylink actiontec modem? I've been talking to verizon and centurylink for five days now and no one has a solution

Sus:

Last edited:

Clay and Deanne

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have both an Actiontec Centurytel modem and a Verizon Network Extender. What I have found is once Centurytel took over Quest I began having problems with my extender. Apparently the update Centurytel did with their modem basically stopped allowing the extender to send or receive since modem didn't see it anymore. I found it suspicious. Got the modem replaced and then put the settings on no update which was the only solution. There is no way to look and change settings with the extender which is a huge oversight. I have a 7mb dsl account with Centurytel and it works fine. In the last few months I have noticed that my calls are having all sorts of problems. I never hear it ring the call goes directly to voicemail. Or when I make a call then it just gets dropped while ringing. Or the call is very scratchy sounding and it is hard to hear people on the phone. Or the call gets dropped in the middle of the call. It has just gotten progressively worse. I will not be using my computer at the time but it is on and connected to the internet. So upping my bandwidth would not improve things as I have read some suggest. My guess is Centurytel doesn't like us using bandwidth for Verizon and are putting all sorts of wrenches in the way to discourage the use. Kind of what happened with MS and browsers. Part of me is sore about this but part sees why they are frustrated with Verizon not building the towers it needs for it's customers.

You will NEVER get a straight answer from either parties on this too. I just decided to unplug my extender the other day and the calls were vastly improved. I guess Verizon had to improve coverage in my area but didn't let me know. When I used the extender I had maximum bar coverage but it was just crap. So having all the bars doesn't mean squat. Now that I unplugged the extender I have two to three bars but the calls are much clearer and I haven't had problems with dropped calls or no ringing or scratchy quality.

If Verizon is selling a service they really ought to provide it in the normal way. Piggybacking on Centurytel is just not good for quality or ethically. Us consumers are put in the middle of this mess. If there are zero carriers in your area that can provide a decent cell phone coverage in your area then complain and you will have to resort to an extender. You may have to pay for way more bandwidth possibly too. If you extender is not working well let Verizon know. I like Verizon a lot but I do think with this they play games with the consumer too much. I would also advise not to purchase a modem through the telephone company. Buy it yourself so you can change the settings. Right now I am at the mercy of Centurytel updates and what games they want to play. My next modem will be one I buy and set up. Perhaps a non Centurytel modem might work better with the extender as well. I have an Actiontec PK5000 and when you try to talk to them about updates they refer you back to Centurytel. We use Samsung Rugged phones for several years now and they hold up really well. I have had my extender for several years now and can now unplug it to get better sound quality. It took Verizon way too long to provide the tower service for my phone adequately. I do not live in the boonies either.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre