I'm interested in giving Windows phone a try with 925 when it comes out, but only if I can get it unlocked as I travel overseas frequently (plus T Mobile coverage at my home is spotty at best). If I pay full price, will they unlock immediately. Or do I have to be a customer for a certain period of time.

I've seen some suggestions you have to be customer for 40 to 60 days before they unlock. Is this true even if you pay full price?

Thanks!
    06-27-2013 10:33 AM
    Check this thread for information. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-unlocked.html
    06-27-2013 10:50 AM
    Thanks. I'd seen this thread and it was one that confused me. Seems to some people got 521 unlocked immediately, some had to wait 7 days, some had to wait 60 days and deposit $50.01 in a postpaid account, etc. I guess I may have to just give it a shot and see what happens. If they make it too challenging, I won't make purchase.
    06-27-2013 11:26 AM
    This is the response I got from tmobile

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. Account has been active for 60 days
    2. Must have $50.01 or more in accumulative refills since activation
    3. Must have 7 days of consistent usage of the IMEI being requested by mobile number requesting

Please submit a new SIM Unlock Request once the subscriber has met the Eligibility criteria
    06-27-2013 12:50 PM
    This is the response I got from tmobile

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. Account has been active for 60 days
    2. Must have $50.01 or more in accumulative refills since activation
    3. Must have 7 days of consistent usage of the IMEI being requested by mobile number requesting

Please submit a new SIM Unlock Request once the subscriber has met the Eligibility criteria
    This is exactly how it worked out when I attempted to unlock my Lumia 521. When I got the 521 I put my active SIM card in it, so the account was active for +/- 1 year. However, T-Mobile still wouldn't give me the unlock code until the phone was in use for 7 days.

To the OP, they might make an exception for you if you tell them you're travelling overseas. Or you could see if a friend who uses T-Mobile will use your phone for a week to qualify it for unlocking.
    06-27-2013 01:14 PM
    Thanks guys for details. This would all be consistent with information from thread link from stmav.

Not sure I have any friends I trust enough to give a brand new 925 that I paid full price for to use for a week!
    06-27-2013 02:56 PM