Update: Thanks for the help everyone! I've made my decision.

Here's my current situation, and I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions the community can offer!

I'm in the US, have had Verizon since my first cell phone years ago, want to get my first smartphone, and love the Lumia 920 and 928, but prefer Verizon over AT&T. What should I do?

Option 1: Get Lumia 928 on Verizon (discounted price with 2 year contract), get new Share plan, pay $100/month for unlimited minutes/text and 2GB data
    Option 2: Utilize existing Verizon plan (I'm 3rd line on family plan), but somehow make it my own plan, buy Lumia 928 full cost, add 2GB data for $30/month to my expired Verizon dumbphone contract plan (is this even possible to split that line out?)
    Option 3: Get unlocked Lumia 920 (off ebay) and AT&T Straight Talk SIM (off ebay), pay $45/month for unlimited minutes/text and "unlimited" data (throttled after 1.5 or 2 GB?)

I'm really struggling to leave Verizon's awesome connectivity and the promise of fast LTE, but the cost and not-unlimited data has me considering a Straight Talk setup. I have been agonizing over this for almost a month now! Please help!
    Last edited by 7thGear; 07-17-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Made my decision!
    07-16-2013 05:16 PM
    If you currently have an upgrade you can do the upgrade on the existing family plan and then separate from the plan and go on your own. Its called an assumption of liability. What happens is the account owner releases your phone number and contract under your name. Once they do that all you would have to do is confirm the changes and pick a plan. You keep your same phone number and contract. No early termination fees involved. That way you won't have to switch companies or lose your phone number.
    7thGear likes this.
    07-16-2013 07:48 PM
    Goto tmobile, get unltd data plus calling for 60 and you can also get the 925 that launches tomorrow
    metalchick719 and 7thGear like this.
    07-16-2013 08:09 PM
    If you currently have an upgrade you can do the upgrade on the existing family plan and then separate from the plan and go on your own. Its called an assumption of liability. What happens is the account owner releases your phone number and contract under your name. Once they do that all you would have to do is confirm the changes and pick a plan. You keep your same phone number and contract. No early termination fees involved. That way you won't have to switch companies or lose your phone number.
    I have no clue if I have an upgrade, so I will have to find out. I will look into this "assumption of liability" more. Thank you!
    07-17-2013 09:20 AM
    Goto tmobile, get unltd data plus calling for 60 and you can also get the 925 that launches tomorrow
    T-Mobile doesn't have good service in my area, which is why I am only considering Verizon and AT&T. And I prefer the 920 and 928 designs over the 925 (not that into a metal frame and don't want to have a special case to use wireless charging). Thanks anyways!
    07-17-2013 09:23 AM
    Have you thought of Sprint and their coverage (if they are available in your area)?
    7thGear likes this.
    07-17-2013 11:28 AM
    Have you thought of Sprint and their coverage (if they are available in your area)?
    They are in my area, but without the 920/928, I'm not interested.
    07-17-2013 01:18 PM
    I must thank you again! I contacted Verizon, found out I do have an upgrade available, and I can separate my plan from my parent's family plan using the AOL. They told me the cost for my line will be $80/month (450 minutes/1000 texts/2GB data), which saves me $20/month over the newer Share Everything 2GB plan and is plenty of minutes and texts for what I use, so I think I will be going with this. I get to keep my Verizon to Verizon free minutes (with majority of family/friends/relatives all on Verizon this saves me a ton of minutes), get access to speedy Verizon LTE, and likely will get my 928 for free with the upgrade! Plus found out I get a 17% discount (off minutes only, so $6.80 off) from my employer, so that's definitely the cherry on top!
    07-17-2013 01:25 PM