Best carriers for updates?

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Which carriers have the best track record at keeping their devices updated (even if it takes them a couple months to push the updates)?

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
US. Not changing. It will be my first mobile phone.

I'm torn between the 521/810 (T-Mobile), 520/820 (AT&T) and the HTC 8XT (Sprint). I don't wanna miss GDR2 and 3. I wonder if there's a carrier that is more likely to push the GDR2 and 3!

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
So you believe AT&T and Verizon are more likely to keep updating the devices?

Let's say I fully pay for a phone from AT&T without a contract, then unlock it and take the device to T-Mobile (or some AT&T MVNO like StraightTalk, Net10, PureTalk, etc). Then, after a few months, news comes out that AT&T is pushing a new GDR to that particular model of phone I bought from them a few months before. Would I receive said GDR if I go back to AT&T for a month on a prepaid plan??

Reason why I ask is that I don't want to miss the GDRs, but I don't like AT&T Data Plans.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You should get the update. At the same time, my Titan 2 still hasn't gotten 7.8

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You should get the update. At the same time, my Titan 2 still hasn't gotten 7.8

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
I think that's more due to HTC than AT&T.

I got the 7.8 update for my 900 on AT&T. However, I believe Nokia is better with updates than HTC.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If updates are your main concern, an unbranded/unlocked model will normally get all updates,

Does that apply to unlocked Sprint phones too?

I like the price of the 520/521, but I'm a bit concerned about the RAM. I need SD support too. I know I'll have to compromise somewhere (specs, updates, phone's price, carrier, plans....), but I'm not sure which compromise I'll make. I like the 8XT, but it seems that Nokia is the de facto WP8 manufacturer.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Does that apply to unlocked Sprint phones too?

I like the price of the 520/521, but I'm a bit concerned about the RAM. I need SD support too. I know I'll have to compromise somewhere (specs, updates, phone's price, carrier, plans....), but I'm not sure which compromise I'll make. I like the 8XT, but it seems that Nokia is the de facto WP8 manufacturer.

No, Sprint phones are locked CDMA phones.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
US. Not changing. It will be my first mobile phone.

I'm torn between the 521/810 (T-Mobile), 520/820 (AT&T) and the HTC 8XT (Sprint). I don't wanna miss GDR2 and 3. I wonder if there's a carrier that is more likely to push the GDR2 and 3!

The 8XT comes with GDR2.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
As frustrating as they can be at times, I've found Verizon ultimately tends to come through as far as updates. As long as I had my trophy there was always a little delay but they still seemed ahead of what I heard about on at&t. Since then my 8X (which is now my mom's since I got a 928 last week) got portico not *too* long after it was released and has gotten it's share of firmware patches since then. Same with my dad's 822. Supposedly they're going to be rolling out GDR2 this week so we'll see what happens with that since they're also supposed to finally be fixing group messaging with it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Get a phone that's globally available as far as getting updates are concerned and definitely get a Nokia..not coz I am a Nokia fan or something but since you own a global model, you can always flash an updated firmware from some other carrier or even an unbranded version if your carrier wishes to skip updates (in case of the 810) and at this moment AT&T looks like your best bet since it carries Global models...

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
As frustrating as they can be at times, I've found Verizon ultimately tends to come through as far as updates. As long as I had my trophy there was always a little delay but they still seemed ahead of what I heard about on at&t. Since then my 8X (which is now my mom's since I got a 928 last week) got portico not *too* long after it was released and has gotten it's share of firmware patches since then. Same with my dad's 822. Supposedly they're going to be rolling out GDR2 this week so we'll see what happens with that since they're also supposed to finally be fixing group messaging with it.
don't get my hopes up, man. They have already been crushed numerous times. I was on the phone with them all day Friday trying to figure out what I wasn't receiving picture texts and I asked about the update and got no info out of them on when it was coming out for Verizon. Frustrating, indeed.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there are no good carriers for updates. You should only buy unlocked unbranded phones if getting the updates on time is important to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss