Pay as you go for a toursit coming 2 weeks to the US

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, I'm planning a trip of 2 weeks to the US and would like to get a pay as you go number just for some mobile internet. I only need around 500mb and want to just pay once for a sim that gives me internet connection on the go. Thanks! :)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if such a service exists here. If you are arriving on a business trip I would suggest checking with your company to see if they could provide a phone. Lots of places have public WiFi however.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where your going you may be surrounded by free WiFi. Maybe if your willing to share the city someone probably lives there and can let you know how readily available WiFi is. There is also all the cheap pay as you go phones from like virgin mobile and other carriers that you can pick up from WalMart or att, Verizon. I'm not sure though if those companies like att just sell Sims with data. A quick call to there customer service would let you know though.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks for the help everyone! :) I'm going to New York so i guess finding wifi would be easy. Not on a business trip, going with the family.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, I'm planning a trip of 2 weeks to the US and would like to get a pay as you go number just for some mobile internet. I only need around 500mb and want to just pay once for a sim that gives me internet connection on the go. Thanks! :)

Cheap ATT go phone or sim card will do the trick. Just set up as a pay as you account with credit card.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks for the help everyone! :) I'm going to New York so i guess finding wifi would be easy. Not on a business trip, going with the family.

Every Starbucks offers free WiFi, and Starbucks is EVERYWHERE in NYC. You'll be fine without a data plan. I spent a week in NYC last year for a conference, and between my hotel, Starbucks, and some random hotspots I was never hurting for data.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I live in NYC. You can find free WiFi almost anywhere! Hotels, restaurants, cafes, libraries, gyms, etc... We've even got it in parks including free solar-panel recharging stations! :D

As far as cellular pay as you go service, just bring any unlocked GSM phone from your country. (If not, you can buy any cheap Prepaid phone when you get here.) Walk into any T-Mobile or AT&T store, Target, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc and pick up a prepaid SIM or Prepaid Kit. They can set your Prepaid service up right there on the spot or you can do it yourself online or over the phone.

I would suggest the T-Mobile $30 UNL WEB/TXT + 100 Mins -- set it up ONLINE. (It's near impossible to get it from a rep in the store or over the phone.) Or the lowest current AT&T GoPhone plan and you're set! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
StraightTalk is only directly sold at Walmart stores, IIRC. There isn't a single Walmart in the entirety on NYC so unless he can find a 3rd party reseller or wait for shipment of a SIM to his hotel, that's a no-go on Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
StraightTalk is only directly sold at Walmart stores, IIRC. There isn't a single Walmart in the entirety on NYC so unless he can find a 3rd party reseller or wait for shipment of a SIM to his hotel, that's a no-go on Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Or he can take New Jersey Transit and get to one in NJ.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I do think T-mobile provides some of the best solutions for tourists. I usually send them there when they stop in my store (Sprint).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon