As the title says, I'm planning a trip of 2 weeks to the US and would like to get a pay as you go number just for some mobile internet. I only need around 500mb and want to just pay once for a sim that gives me internet connection on the go. Thanks! :)
    08-17-2013 03:29 AM
    I'm not sure if such a service exists here. If you are arriving on a business trip I would suggest checking with your company to see if they could provide a phone. Lots of places have public WiFi however.
    08-17-2013 07:01 AM
    Depending on where your going you may be surrounded by free WiFi. Maybe if your willing to share the city someone probably lives there and can let you know how readily available WiFi is. There is also all the cheap pay as you go phones from like virgin mobile and other carriers that you can pick up from WalMart or att, Verizon. I'm not sure though if those companies like att just sell Sims with data. A quick call to there customer service would let you know though.
    08-17-2013 07:20 AM
    Ok thanks for the help everyone! :) I'm going to New York so i guess finding wifi would be easy. Not on a business trip, going with the family.
    08-17-2013 05:14 PM
    As the title says, I'm planning a trip of 2 weeks to the US and would like to get a pay as you go number just for some mobile internet. I only need around 500mb and want to just pay once for a sim that gives me internet connection on the go. Thanks! :)
    Cheap ATT go phone or sim card will do the trick. Just set up as a pay as you account with credit card.
    08-17-2013 05:20 PM
    Ok thanks for the help everyone! :) I'm going to New York so i guess finding wifi would be easy. Not on a business trip, going with the family.
    Every Starbucks offers free WiFi, and Starbucks is EVERYWHERE in NYC. You'll be fine without a data plan. I spent a week in NYC last year for a conference, and between my hotel, Starbucks, and some random hotspots I was never hurting for data.
    08-17-2013 05:21 PM
    I live in NYC. You can find free WiFi almost anywhere! Hotels, restaurants, cafes, libraries, gyms, etc... We've even got it in parks including free solar-panel recharging stations! :D

As far as cellular pay as you go service, just bring any unlocked GSM phone from your country. (If not, you can buy any cheap Prepaid phone when you get here.) Walk into any T-Mobile or AT&T store, Target, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc and pick up a prepaid SIM or Prepaid Kit. They can set your Prepaid service up right there on the spot or you can do it yourself online or over the phone.

I would suggest the T-Mobile $30 UNL WEB/TXT + 100 Mins -- set it up ONLINE. (It's near impossible to get it from a rep in the store or over the phone.) Or the lowest current AT&T GoPhone plan and you're set! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Last edited by KitN; 08-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    08-17-2013 05:38 PM
    Either the t mo one mentioned above or the $40 straight talk for unlimited everything.
    08-17-2013 05:47 PM
    StraightTalk is only directly sold at Walmart stores, IIRC. There isn't a single Walmart in the entirety on NYC so unless he can find a 3rd party reseller or wait for shipment of a SIM to his hotel, that's a no-go on Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    08-17-2013 05:54 PM
    StraightTalk is only directly sold at Walmart stores, IIRC. There isn't a single Walmart in the entirety on NYC so unless he can find a 3rd party reseller or wait for shipment of a SIM to his hotel, that's a no-go on Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Or he can take New Jersey Transit and get to one in NJ.
    08-17-2013 06:24 PM
    I do think T-mobile provides some of the best solutions for tourists. I usually send them there when they stop in my store (Sprint).
    08-17-2013 06:24 PM
    Thanks a lot for the help guys! I'm overwhelmed!!
    08-18-2013 07:56 AM