This choice between wireless charging standards has nothing to do with what performs best or the costs of implementing the standard. It has everything to do with the commercial possibilities of PMA charging. There is money to be made.
    The next version of PMA charging adds what is called a digital layer. This will enable messages, ads, to be sent to the phone. You see where this could go it they have these set up in airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and coffee shops. There is always money in advertising.
    You still need a bulky cover for PMA until they start bulding them into phones.
    This is just what I found after searching a while.
    10-27-2013 05:45 PM
    This choice between wireless charging standards has nothing to do with what performs best or the costs of implementing the standard. It has everything to do with the commercial possibilities of PMA charging. There is money to be made.
    The next version of PMA charging adds what is called a digital layer. This will enable messages, ads, to be sent to the phone. You see where this could go it they have these set up in airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and coffee shops. There is always money in advertising.
    You still need a bulky cover for PMA until they start bulding them into phones.
    This is just what I found after searching a while.
    Do you have links on this that you could share? The part about sending ads to my phone really bothers me. Thanks!
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-27-2013 06:35 PM
    Strings Attached to Wireless Charging
    That is one. Others carry the same story.

In addition to standardizing inductive and resonant inductive coupling technology, PMA seeks to add a digital layer providing policy-setting, monitoring, and extensible APIs.
    http://www.zeably.com/Power_Matters_Alliance
    Last edited by T Moore; 10-27-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    palandri likes this.
    10-27-2013 09:11 PM
    But sending info to phone is what NFC already does. Easy to build with qi or any other charging mechanism....
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-27-2013 09:18 PM
    But sending info to phone is what NFC already does. Easy to build with qi or any other charging mechanism....
    It would be the commercial locations sending messages, ads and cupons. They could even control charging rate and monitor time on charge.
    10-27-2013 10:48 PM
    Seems to me that you really loathe PMA, T-Moore. So, I got to ask the question, are you buying the global 1520 or the 929?
    10-28-2013 06:51 AM
    The LAST thing we need is some cloud control of our charging. what they have done is create a vector for malware. just thing if the cloud controller got infected, they could start overcharging devices everywhere and ruining them.

PMA is a crock of **** created by P&G and Duracell because they were quickly being marginalized as a proprietary **** solution.
    10-28-2013 07:40 AM
    Seems to me that you really loathe PMA, T-Moore. So, I got to ask the question, are you buying the global 1520 or the 929?
    I wanted to find out why AT&T is pushing PMA so hard, hard enough to remove the Qi charging, that's all. Doesn't make any difference what I buy. It is about information.
    10-28-2013 08:54 AM
    Good thread. Bookmarking because I'm at work right now. I'd definitely want to find out more about this PMA vs Qi thing.
    10-28-2013 09:26 AM
    I wanted to find out why AT&T is pushing PMA so hard, hard enough to remove the Qi charging, that's all. Doesn't make any difference what I buy. It is about information.
    Oh ok, my fault. Carry on, good sir.
    10-29-2013 01:49 AM