11-20-2013 08:04 PM
61 123
tools
    as has already been mentioned in this thread, the list is stickied at the top of this forum.
    Yes but I just went through the entire list and found no MVNO that had a better plan than I have now with full Verizon coverage.
    11-20-2013 08:30 AM
    wrong Straight Talk does. As I said I pay $36 a month all inclusive
    11-20-2013 08:39 AM
    Dude I'm looking at their site, I'd be between $41 and $45 depending on how I pay
    11-20-2013 08:57 AM
    I thought Straight Talk was $45 a month? How are you getting it for $36?
    11-20-2013 08:57 AM
    because I buy my cards from online sellers...which is not hard to do. I also buy 6 months of service at a time. This is not top secret stuff, anyone can do it.
    11-20-2013 09:01 AM
    because I buy my cards from online sellers...which is not hard to do. I also buy 6 months of service at a time. This is not top secret stuff, anyone can do it.
    You should make that your forum signature, "I get unlimited everything for $36 a month, ask me how".
    11-20-2013 09:18 AM
    You should make that your forum signature, "I get unlimited everything for $36 a month, ask me how".
    Yeah you could be a spokesperson or something lol they should pay you!
    11-20-2013 09:48 AM
    I've done that too, and you can potentially save a lot. The issue I've had with buying a multiple month card from Straight Talk is that if you get throttled for some reason, it lasts until the end of the card's service. For example, if you have a 6 month card and get throttled in the 1st month, you're throttled for the remaining 5 months as well instead of resetting after the 1st month is over.

Even so, if berty6294 pays Verizon $40 all inclusive, it's certainly worth sticking with Verizon rather than potentially saving a few $$$$ with Straight Talk.
    11-20-2013 10:07 AM
    Do any of the prepaid plans offer lte? The only ones that I've found are directly from att and are still pretty expensive.
    11-20-2013 10:17 AM
    I have LTE on Straight Talk and get the same speeds as ATT accounts paying double.
    elyod likes this.
    11-20-2013 10:18 AM
    I've done that too, and you can potentially save a lot. The issue I've had with buying a multiple month card from Straight Talk is that if you get throttled for some reason, it lasts until the end of the card's service. For example, if you have a 6 month card and get throttled in the 1st month, you're throttled for the remaining 5 months as well instead of resetting after the 1st month is over.

Even so, if berty6294 pays Verizon $40 all inclusive, it's certainly worth sticking with Verizon rather than potentially saving a few $$$$ with Straight Talk.
    I highly doubt that $40 is all inclusive...if it was everyone would be doing it.
    as far as throttling goes...that is not true. If you are throttled for some reason (which no longer exists, even if it did before) you will be reset every 30 days.
    11-20-2013 10:20 AM
    Awesome! That was the only reason I could think of not to do an mvno.
    11-20-2013 10:21 AM
    as far as throttling goes...that is not true. If you are throttled for some reason (which no longer exists, even if it did before) you will be reset every 30 days.
    My experience with Straight Talk is with AT&T service, and they certainly do throttle for the entire duration of the card. Maybe it's different with Verizon service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-20-2013 10:24 AM
    what can you possibly be doing to get throttled in the first place? I've never been throttled and I use my data for everything reasonably possible.
    11-20-2013 10:28 AM
    I highly doubt that $40 is all inclusive...if it was everyone would be doing it.
    At the time my grandparents had a plan/promotion where I could add a line to their unlimited talk and text for $9.99, then added the $29.99 for data and have rode it out ever since. I also have a few cousins who did the same. So while my grandparents have a typical family plan, my line costs only $40 a month. Sorry I'm not the best at understanding all the different plans, but I do know my line only costs $40/m
    11-20-2013 10:29 AM
    well, your grandparents are paying taxes and fees on top of that $40 which you are choosing not to break out to your line, so while you may have some sweet deal where you give them $40 or whatever, they are not only paying $40 on that line.
    11-20-2013 10:31 AM
    what can you possibly be doing to get throttled in the first place? I've never been throttled and I use my data for everything reasonably possible.
    I don't know, it's actually my wife's! But until recently Straight Talk was very strict if you were using AT&T's service. In fact, for a few months they weren't even offering AT&T SIM cards. But now they're back, with LTE service and an increased data allowance.

I do know that Straight Talk has different rules for different carriers' services. That's probably why you never had any issues with data usage. We have unlocked GSM phones which limits us to T-Mobile or AT&T service. They were lenient with data usage on T-Mobile but very strict on AT&T. Users were reporting being throttled at or less than 1GB in a month's time. It seemed somewhat arbitrary. Where we live, T-Mobile is not a viable option. I never had Verizon or Sprint service through Straight Talk, so I have no experience there.
    11-20-2013 10:46 AM
    well, your grandparents are paying taxes and fees on top of that $40 which you are choosing not to break out to your line, so while you may have some sweet deal where you give them $40 or whatever, they are not only paying $40 on that line.
    Well yeah, I mean they pay the primary family plan which they would have to whether I'm on it or not, but adding me makes it only $40 extra. So until they kick me off, I am super content! At that point I may actually switch to straighttalk
    11-20-2013 10:52 AM
    I think the sig should be more like, "I'm a bully who will belittle you if you are on one of the big four."
    iamtim likes this.
    11-20-2013 11:16 AM
    I think the sig should be more like, "I'm a bully who will belittle you if you are on one of the big four."
    I concur. There's a lot more than just price when it comes down to carrier selection. I get a FAN discount with AT&T because my company has a corporate account. For that same reason, I get business support should I ever need it. I've never had a problem with AT&T; I may pay a little more, but to me that extra cost is worth the benefits I'm getting. I would not get those same benefits with a MVNO.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-20-2013 11:28 AM
    you are just mad because you stated misinformation and got called out on it. If you want to call anyone who raises the BS flag on misinformation a "bully" then shame on you.
    Last edited by inteller; 11-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    11-20-2013 12:02 PM
    All carriers ultimately suck.

That said, aside of their delays with GDR2 I am happy with AT&T. They're a little more expensive, but their customer support has always been top-notch for me. Plus, AT&T is the only network that has consistent quality service both at my home and at my office.

I was on Verizon for a while in my pre-smartphone days. Their coverage was good but their customer support sucked all the things. Which is why I switched to AT&T... well, that and the iPhone, heh.

Anyway, your mileage may vary and all that.
    I have a totally different experience. I have Verizon and have had nothing but excellent customer service. A co-worker on AT&T was complaining last night about his experience with their customer service. Verizon has better coverage in my area, so that is who we stay with.
    11-20-2013 12:05 PM
    I concur. There's a lot more than just price when it comes down to carrier selection. I get a FAN discount with AT&T because my company has a corporate account. For that same reason, I get business support should I ever need it. I've never had a problem with AT&T; I may pay a little more, but to me that extra cost is worth the benefits I'm getting. I would not get those same benefits with a MVNO.
    Same here.
    11-20-2013 12:05 PM
    not if you want voice service on old CDMA tech. That side of the phone is still ESN based.
    Haha, you got me there!
    11-20-2013 12:08 PM

a cellular tower provider is responsible for one thing, providing a reliable signal to which your compliant device can make and receive phone calls. If they do that, there should be no reasons to call them for "support".

I have never had to call ST for support. I can't recall calling ATT either except for times when they put **** on my bill that was a hidden fee or false overage charge. I removed that need for "support" by switching to ST.
    11-20-2013 12:14 PM
61 123