AT&T and Upgrade Dates.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
All year I have been eyeballing a line on my account due an Upgrade on 11/14/13 and the 1520 seems like the perfect phone to use it on. Preordered as upgrade from Microsoft on the day they went up with no issues. Logged in to my AT&T account to pay my bill and had a little reminder that a line eligible for upgrade and I smiled to myself thinking about my new 1520.

Fast forward to yesterday I got any email from Microsoft saying my order was canceled to call them. I called and they said AT&T canceled the order. I logged in to my account and the little reminder that I was due an upgrade was there, then I used the upgrade checker and suddenly what had be a upgrade date of 11/14/13 had changed to 11/14/14. WTF.

So all that is to ask, have any of you seen this happen (upgrade date change) if so how did you get it resolved. Alternatively have any of you ever had luck getting AT&T to change your upgrade date?

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough I just checked my Microsoft Account and my order is still there as Processing? If it was canceled by AT&T like both the email and phone rep said shouldn't it show canceled in my account? What are the odds this is still going to ship?! This whole thing is crazy.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm 99.9% sure it was 2013, the thing is how do I prove it? It just becomes my word against theirs. I'm going to call them I was just curious if any one else had had that happen to them.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
AT&T did change my upgrade date. I was part of the Upgrade Advantage programs and they decided to change the terms of that program! Dealing with a customer service agent in the Escalation Department to se what she can do but as of right now they are standing firm that they ha e the right to change the contract terms when ever that want.

Last edited:

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade was due 11/8/2013, and when I looked three weeks ago, it was pushed to April 2014. The reason I was given was my account (4 lines) was pushed out on all upgrades due to the Next plan. I complained that when I purchased my last phone in April 2012, "Next" didn't even exist yet. How was it my fault? They got management involved, and my upgrade was reinstated to this month. The three other lines on my account are all pushed out to 2015 however. Which is crazy.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can't get them to admit its because of NEXT but it clearly is. They are hopeing people are not paying attention and get tricked in to using NEXT for holiday purcases which makes AT&T more money. And if you use NEXT to upgrade it wipes out your ability to use your standard upgrade when that date does come around.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
true story

If you type in *#new# it will text you when you are able to upgrade. I had this and was going to upgrade in November. But AT&T moved it to April of next year and called CS. They told me since I have the text they will honor my upgrade.

Instead I paid my ETF, and now with T-Mobile. I can upgrade my phone now every 6 months. It is the only reason I have an android device. I wanted to try it out and the LG-g2 is a great device. Hopefully in 6 months there will be a flagship Windows phone.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So I just checked and freaking ATT moved mine back about 8 months.
But since the contract was for only two years can't we just end that contract and sign a new one and get our upgrade when the contract is up?

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I just checked and freaking ATT moved mine back about 8 months.
But since the contract was for only two years can't we just end that contract and sign a new one and get our upgrade when the contract is up?

We could if we pay an ETF fee and go to another provider. There was a program call upgrade advantage and your upgrade date was based on how much money you were giving AT&T every month. The cycles were 12, 18 & 20 months. What has happened is AT&T quietly killed that program about two months before the NEXT program. They say the change is not related but it 100% is. They are trying to get people who were used to upgrading earlier than their 2 year (24month) contract end date into the NEXT program. NEXT gets you to pay full price for your phone in monthly instalments while still paying the same rates that covered the price of the subsidized phone you would get with a normal upgrade. Basically getting you to pay for the phone twice.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you type in *#new# it will text you when you are able to upgrade. I had this and was going to upgrade in November. But AT&T moved it to April of next year and called CS. They told me since I have the text they will honor my upgrade.

Instead I paid my ETF, and now with T-Mobile. I can upgrade my phone now every 6 months. It is the only reason I have an android device. I wanted to try it out and the LG-g2 is a great device. Hopefully in 6 months there will be a flagship Windows phone.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

That's tuff for me to do (and AT&T knows this) because I have 5 lines on my account all with different contract end dates (all of which got pushed back). The program AT&T ended affects mostly people with family plans.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to talk a manager into giving them an upgrade? I have had my 900 since launch and was SO looking forward to November when I could upgrade to a 1020. My date got pushed out to April as well without notice.
When the rep at the local ATT store told I could not upgrade, it took all my self-restraint to not punch him, lol. I had visited the store in September and they told me to come back in November... now they said April...seriously?

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to talk a manager into giving them an upgrade? I have had my 900 since launch and was SO looking forward to November when I could upgrade to a 1020. My date got pushed out to April as well without notice.
When the rep at the local ATT store told I could not upgrade, it took all my self-restraint to not punch him, lol. I had visited the store in September and they told me to come back in November... now they said April...seriously?
I ccomplained to them on twitter and had an escalation rep call me in two days. Their first answer was basically "to bad we can change programs when ever we want. You can upgrade to an iPhone early." After I firmly, but politely voiced my distaste for that answer and threatened to take my 5 lines and $300/month to Verizon she said she need to talk to a supervisor and would call me back. If they don't call back today I'll call them.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same place as nicewabbit. How can they just change the contract like that?! How can they just change the terms without voiding the contract?

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for this! I looked back on all my text messages and found one from earlier in the year when I had checked my eligibility - it says "you may qualify on 11/23/2013". I'll try using that as leverage and see if they bother honoring it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would read over the original terms very carefully. I highly doubt they can legal change the length of a contract. Otherwise, what would prevent them from extending it 2 years.

brandon_powell

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same place as nicewabbit. How can they just change the contract like that?! How can they just change the terms without voiding the contract?

They claimed they sent a notice to all affected subscribers. When I said I didn't get one, she said well they were sent. I ask her to prove it and after a bit of stuttering she said she could not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers