Really undecided on a carrier....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As my family and I are nearing the end of our AT&T contract (Mid December for my kids and we are free!!), I am left in a huge pickle. I am usually decent at making calls- give me the facts available at the time, and I will most likely pick a direction and go with it. We will deal with what happens next when it actually happens.

Not this time. I am facing a decision on carriers that I have talked myself in and out of about 30 times.

Our time with AT&T has been embroiled with some really bad customer service. I hate having to deal with them, as the run around is the normal way of business. Now, they have improved in the past year, but their mess ups in the past has caused me many hours of frustration. Most of our friends have Verizon, and have never said a bad word about their customer care, either over the phone or in the local stores (which outnumber the AT&T store 3 - 1). Also, in our small area, AT&T's network is not as strong as Verizons. For that matter, Verizon's nationwide coverage is so much better then AT&T's. My Wife is trying to get a small business off the ground, and in the next year she will be traveling to craft shows out of state. I really want her to have as dependable of a network as possible. Also, I like the idea of the L929 much better then the 1520 just based on size. I know it isn't out yet, or even truly confirmed, but I am willing to wait. Both my kids have devices picked out on Big Red which they like.

However, we have a grandfathered plan that is way less expensive for our four lines then the "Share everything" would be on Big Red. Also, I have noticed as a general rule we can get AT&T phones cheaper then at Verizon, even through third party retailers. It is not like AT&T's network is that far behind. And I know the 1520 is a great device. Also- my Daughter really likes the 1020, and there are devices on AT&T my Wife loves, where as Verizon she is not as happy with the options, even though she understands the network may be better for her travel.

So.......

AT&T is cheaper to the tune of $20.00 - $40.00 dollars a month depending on what plans we settle on, will be a little cheaper in getting new phones, and has devices right now my family likes.

Verizon has the better network, dependable customer care, and has the WP in it's pipeline that is perfect for me.

As a side note, my Wife may want to use her phone as a hot spot for her laptop at shows where there is no Wi-Fi to show off her websites to customers. By the time that charge goes on our current AT&T plan for my Wife's line, it is no longer a huge savings, but it is still cheaper (maybe $15.00 a month).

I have talked myself into each plan about a dozen times in the last month. So... what the heck. Maybe WPC readers can be more decisive then me.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Honest, between the L1520 and it's 6" screen and this delimma, I have never been so back and forth....

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How is T-Mobile's coverage in your area? I have been with them nearly 12 years now and they've been a pleasure I would say 98% of the time. Customer service is helpful and friendly and my service has been great in most areas (I'm in NY, though). The Simple Choice plans are really good, and the more people you have on your line, the cheaper it ends up being in the long run.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand your frustration, snowmutt. I've been contemplating leaving AT&T for several months but finding the right carrier hasn't been easy. I'm trying to factor in coverage, price, features and most importantly, convenience. While I do love getting subsidized phones, I refuse to enter another 2-year contract. I simply hate the idea of being forced to stay with any service, whether it's phone or internet. So now I have to look at my off-contract options.

So what about T-Mobile? Their service around here is spotty at best. Lots of dead zones and only one local T-Mobile store. There goes both my coverage and convenience. Oh, and I have a Lumia 920 and 900, neither of which works with T-Mobile's 4G.

So how about a MNVO? There are some good deals out there, but as evident by the post in this forum, there are some horror stories as well. I'm tech savvy enough to navigate any problems but my girl isn't (like not even close). And I simply will not tolerate disruptions in my service. Plus you never know when a MVNO will stop supporting a carrier's SIM like what Straight Talk did to AT&T earlier this year. Sure, they later reversed it but what's to say they won't drop AT&T again? Furthermore, there's not a lot of MVNOs around here with a walk-in store and that's important to both me and her.

There's always Big Red, but they're just AT&T in disguise. Plus I'd have to buy two brand new phones off contract since I can't port over my 920/900. The coverage difference around here isn't enough to warrant switching from AT&T to Verizon. And considering I'm rarely in the middle of the lake or deep in a forest, AT&T's coverage is usually fine everywhere I go.

There's Sprint, not a bad choice but we're right back to my previous problem of having to buy two brand new phones off-contract. And quite honestly, Sprint's selection of Windows Phone is disappointing.

So no Verizon, no T-Mobile, no Sprint and MVNOs can be hit or miss. I'm right back where I started. Mase was telling me about GoPhone in another thread and that may not be a bad idea. I would still get AT&T's coverage, LTE, faaaar cheaper prices, no contract, plus I can keep my phone and number. So right now I'm leaning towards that.

My suggestion to you, snowmutt, is that you look at the coverage maps for the states you wife will be traveling to. There's a good chance that coverage won't be a problem for either Verizon or AT&T in those areas. I'd also make sure Verizon has the phone she wants just in case she hates Verizon's offerings. Then also get a complete price breakdown between Verizon and AT&T that includes all the features you might possibly need.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
And here in lies the rub: We have no T-Mobile service at all in my city. Zero. T-Mobile web site gives you a "sorry, we do not want your money" type response when I type in my zip code in their "check your service" option.

Sprint has one- only one- tower in our area (three counties worth, I believe). They will take your money, just not give you service.

We have one small local carrier- Cell One- and it's coverage and roaming charges (I didn't even know those still existed) are both painful.

That leaves AT&T, Verizon, and of course the small, prepaid carriers that run on the networks.

I am not against Go Phone or any of the other carriers like it, but the out of pocket expense really is not that much cheaper then the big two when you add in new phones (which three of us need) on four people and the charges.

Sigh......

In the end, I will most likely just stay on AT&T. I like the idea of leaving, it just doesn't make fiscal sense.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
HeyCori, if you do move to Go Phone, let me know how it works out. I am curious and may do a little more math vs> my current AT&T plan.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
How is T-Mobile's coverage in your area? I have been with them nearly 12 years now and they've been a pleasure I would say 98% of the time. Customer service is helpful and friendly and my service has been great in most areas (I'm in NY, though). The Simple Choice plans are really good, and the more people you have on your line, the cheaper it ends up being in the long run.

has it been 12 years? I remember when I was with Aerial and it got bought by Voice Stream then bought by T Mobile i stuck with the same plan for a long long time and I finally had the last straw when I could not get a data connection while traveling through Louisiana. And thats when I turned to Verizon because they have the most towers by far

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
HeyCori, if you do move to Go Phone, let me know how it works out. I am curious and may do a little more math vs> my current AT&T plan.

I've had a GoPhone SIM card for about 3 years now for my work phone. It's been OK. I've ran into a few issues, like once they cutoff my data. I was switching the SIM card between two phones. Once I gave them the IEMI numbers from the phones they turned it back on, but I got a lecture about how I won't get any technical support because I wasn't using an AT&T GoPhone. One time when they changed the rate plan and I lost a couple of dollars credit I had on my account. When I am not working (construction has been slow) I switch to the $25 voice only plan and have been told I can't do that because I have a smartphone, and I told them to shut the phone off from service, but they never did. One month when I was on the $25 plan, I paid the $25 but only $17 was applied to the account and I discovered I had these phantom 2am and 3am data charges. Once I talked to a supervisor, they were removed.

So overall it's been OK, a couple of issues, but they were resolved.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
has it been 12 years? I remember when I was with Aerial and it got bought by Voice Stream then bought by T Mobile i stuck with the same plan for a long long time and I finally had the last straw when I could not get a data connection while traveling through Louisiana. And thats when I turned to Verizon because they have the most towers by far

Yep. I actually used VoiceStream for a few months before getting my own phone and number with them in late January 2002. A friend of mine had gotten a new phone and number and offered me her old ones. I paid her $20 per month until I got my very own. My first phone was that gold Nokia 3390, which I absolutely loved and was my only phone that suffered damage (the ringer stopped working after my mother dropped it while it was being charged). Ahh, memories. Of course, I'm in one of the five boroughs of NYC, so I get good coverage in my area. The only times I get no service is when I'm in a bowling alley where I'm in a league during the summer (thank goodness for Wi-Fi), at one particular club in the City for concerts and once this summer, when I was at the Renaissance Faire, I got absolutely zero service and my 920 was essentially just a camera (my boyfriend, meanwhile, got service on his Verizon flip phone, lol). Other than that, my service is great.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

That's debatable. Both have pretty good coverage.

Chris Moyer: The real difference between Verizon and AT&T

Coverage Maps for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile & more | OpenSignalMaps - OpenSignal

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It looks like AT&T is three days away from getting cheaper. :wink:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...e/252994-t-improves-off-contract-pricing.html

That is very, very interesting. As I am on an Grandfathered plan that is the old fashioned data attached to the device, we are cheaper then these new plans.

Willing to bet we are not going to get these discounts out of contract. But I will find out and update everyone on the thread you started.

Thanks, Corti. You are becoming a true spring of wisedom and knowledge.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion