Sprint preparing to bid for T-Mobile: Report

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sprint preparing to bid for T-Mobile: Report

Sprint is mulling a possible bid for rival wireless provider T-Mobile, a move that could leave the U.S. wireless market dominated by three mega-companies, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Sprint could launch a bid as early as the first half of next year, the report said citing people familiar with the matter.

The company is reportedly studying regulatory concerns before moving forward. Placing a bid despite regulators' concerns would be risky, and a bad reaction could put an end to the effort.

A deal between the third- and fourth-largest U.S. carriers could be worth more than $20 billion.

Sprint shares rose 10 percent in after-hours trading, while T-Mobile shares dipped 1.2 percent.

Sprint declined to comment to CNBC.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bad idea. Sprint already lost a lot of money, resources and customers in its Nextel acquisition. What benefit is there for Sprint to acquire another carrier with incompatible network technology?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bad idea. Sprint already lost a lot of money, resources and customers in its Nextel acquisition. What benefit is there for Sprint to acquire another carrier with incompatible network technology?

Spectrum & subscribers. CDMA is dying a slow death, IMO.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
*rolls eyes*

I have nothing against Sprint, but they need to just mind their own business and let T-Mobile be. T-Mo has been doing a lot better since going with the whole UNcarrier thing and doing away with contracts.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Att weren't allowed to buy Tmo for competitive reasons, can't see sprint being given the go ahead either. You can be sure though that att will oppose any such deal if it ever does get put on the table.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Att weren't allowed to buy Tmo for competitive reasons, can't see sprint being given the go ahead either. You can be sure though that att will oppose any such deal if it ever does get put on the table.

Sprint is a lot smaller than AT&T. Even if they acquire T-Mobile they'll still be smaller. So it's doubtful that ilauch a merger would be stopped because of "competitive reasons."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One other reason given was that att buying tmo would reduce consumer choice and that would also apply here, 3 carriers instead of 4. Not going to fly.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
One other reason given was that att buying tmo would reduce consumer choice and that would also apply here, 3 carriers instead of 4. Not going to fly.
The difference here is the two lower tier mobile providers would combine, giving people less choice buy better choices. AT&T buying Tmobile would have put them in a position to monopolize the market, raise prices and put sprint out of business. Softbank (sprint) buying Tmobile would put them inline between VZW, and AT&T, and if they price right, this can be a strong 3 runner race, but noone will be in a position to monopolize.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
well I might have a different op but I kinda see it as a good thing because well for one better coverage and also I know sprint has more spectrum than the other 3 carriers. sure its higher frequncey but still has more spectrum :) . but also how do we know that they will shut down tmobile and merge it with sprint? they could do the other way around shut down sprint and keep T-Mobile

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
well I might have a different op but I kinda see it as a good thing because well for one better coverage and also I know sprint has more spectrum than the other 3 carriers. sure its higher frequncey but still has more spectrum :) . but also how do we know that they will shut down tmobile and merge it with sprint? they could do the other way around shut down sprint and keep T-Mobile
If Softbank/Sprint is the buyer they will either merge into Sprint, or rename for a New Gen carrier. This will be interesting if it happens, I hope it does because I wanna see how they merge the two incompatible spectrums. I'm really interested.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If Softbank/Sprint is the buyer they will either merge into Sprint, or rename for a New Gen carrier. This will be interesting if it happens, I hope it does because I wanna see how they merge the two incompatible spectrums. I'm really interested.

im pretty sure they have the money I mean if soft bank had the money to buy sprint and consider buying T-Mobile well im pretty sure they have the money to make it work ...if not well im still interested :D

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
im pretty sure they have the money I mean if soft bank had the money to buy sprint and consider buying T-Mobile well im pretty sure they have the money to make it work ...if not well im still interested :D
Oh I know they have the money to MAKE it work, but paying for something that's difficult to work will hurt them, I'm looking for them to make a technological investment to see the outcome that will change the way us and future mobile carriers use the spectrum. Who knows, the guy from Softbank might have no interest in merging them and might just build upon both them to make money from 1/3 the carrier game in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett