T-Mobile In NY Area

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for about 10 years or more but recently have become fairly frustrated with the way they're going. It seems like every time you turn around they're taking something away and strong arming their position in the market because they know they have the best service. I think you knew it was going to happen, but still doesn't make me happy. The final straw for me recently is I've been getting a 19% discount with them because the volunteer fire department I belong to has that agreement. They've never asked me to verify it once I set it up but they just did a couple of months ago. And because I couldn't provide a paystub (it is volunteer afterall) and the email address we have set up from the department didn't show up in their database, they took the credit away even though our department still has it. I've stayed away from ATT and Sprint, and have been kind of hoping T-Mobile would step up. Now after yesterday's announcement that they'll buy you out of your contract I'm really considering switching now. I priced out the plans last night and with more data per line, and even with a monthly charge for a new phone, it should save me close to $40 a month! Is there anyone else in the NY area, specifically Westchester and areas surrounding the city, that has T-Mobile that can comment on the service? I've got an 8X now but I would just pick up a 925 when making the switch.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was with AT&T in the city since 2005 and in 2008 things started getting crappy. I switched to T-Mobile prepaid and it was ok for a while. In-building penetration sucks and when you're in Manhattan with buildings that have 2 ft. thick walls, T-Mobile's network just can't hack it. I live in Queens and T-Mobile's network was pretty good here and in the outer boroughs. With that said, I signed a contract with AT&T again when the 920 came out last year and I couldn't be happier. If you don't go into Manhattan much or in basements or older masonry-walled buildings, then T-Mobile should suffice.

My advice is get a T-Mobile prepaid account for $3/day and check out the network especially in places you spend the most time. That way you'll know exactly what you're getting into and you'll only be out a few bucks. Much of the T-Mobile network in NYC and the surrounding areas has been refarmed so any 3g AT&T device should work fine if you have one lying around. Also, your Verizon HTC 8X should also work since it is sim-unlocked and has the UMTS 1900 band which T-Mobile uses.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, both really helpful answers! I read that Engadget article when it came out and have kept that in mind with regards to this possible switch. And I like the idea of being able to keep my 8X since it should help me save even more money, even though the thought of switching to the 925 is somewhat appealing. Can my wife bring her Verizon iPhone 5 over the same way as well?

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Your wife's iPhone 5 can definitely be used as well but bear in mind a couple of issues:

1. Both of your phones will be unable to access T-Mobile's LTE network since they don't have the required bands. You will be on T-Mobile's 42mbps HSPA+ 1900 band network for the iPhone and the 21mbps HSPA 1900 band for the 8X. So if you're looking for LTE service, you will need to purchase new phones.

iPhone 5 model A1429 | T-Mobile Support

2. People have had issues with multimedia messages when using Verizon phones on GSM networks. It has something to do with Verizon's software that prohibits you from messing with the MMS settings on the phones. I believe you will have regular phone calls, regular texting and data, but no MMS.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/210624-verizon-8x-t-mobile-sms-mms-workaround.html

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty interesting. I mean, the HSPA+ speeds are really good, probably more than I'm getting with Verizon's LTE in my area right now, but it wouldn't really make sense to not take advantage of the true LTE coverage. Also if there are problems with the 8X messaging it may not be worth it to play around with that. No matter what I do, bring current phones or purchase new ones, it should save me at least $40 a month.

Regarding this new spectrum purchased, is this just to increase 3G coverage overall, or does it help with the LTE rollout too?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
On January 28th, it will be exactly 12 years since I've been with T-Mobile and I live in the NY area. Service just seems to be getting better and better. I've seen LTE on my phone in areas of Manhattan and Queens and got speeds of up to 32Mbps down. Haven't actually used LTE in months, but that's because I'm not a data hog as it is, but I'm very happy with my service. I use an unlocked Rogers 920, by the way, but I would suspect T-Mo's 925 would be just as good service-wise.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
This is all very good to hear. How about updates for the phones? I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like the Windows Phones on T-mobile have got GDR3 yet. I did the developer preview on my 8X but just curious how they are pushing updates.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about that because I use a non-T-Mobile phone, but I can tell you that my Lumia 810 got GDR2 back in mid-August (a nice surprise for those of us who own it). I'm sure the 521 and 925 will get GDR3 and Lumia Black shortly if they haven't already.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks again for all your comments! I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the jump, I just have to get myself to a T-Mobile store. The closest one is over the Tap and about 25 minutes away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss