How would you rate your carrier?

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I know that asking who the "best carrier" is could be a totally subjective question based off of where I live and where I travel to, but I hope that it at least got your attention. My family and I have been with Sprint for the last 15 years, and we think we are about ready to switch to somebody else, the problem is that we don't know who to switch to. I live in Dallas, TX, but my son lives in Missouri. All of the carriers say that they have "excellent 4G service" where we both live (yeah, ok) and to be honest they all cost about the same. Just based off of the intangibles, what are your experiences with whoever your current carrier is and why would you (or would you not) recommend them?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T seems evil at times, ripping out Qi and Data Sense and other less than great antics.
Pricing, not really sure, but I keep seeing better deals elsewhere. (Unlimited, more data etc for less, even more colored by my 300 MB plan)

On the plus side, its reliable and I never have problems using my dinky monthly allocation.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have T-Mobile and I would rate it a 9/10. I pay $30 a month for 5 GB of 4G data and throttled afterward, 100 minutes, and unlimited texts. Although I don't have it, the simple choice plans are great, if you need more expensive phones and unlimited calling (I use the 521 and don't make calls too often). Family plans also benefit a lot. The only issue I have with T-Mobile is the indoor coverage, which is helped by their WiFi Calling service/app. I basically get no coverage in my house except for a couple of spots, although most carriers don't get any service in my area so it isn't anything I can do. WiFi calling allows me to get calls and texts (but no MMS or group texts). Since you live in Dallas, TX, you will have the fastest T-Mobile LTE speeds because they deployed their 20+20 LTE which can get insane speeds! Another flaw to T-Mobile is their support of Windows Phone, which I expect will not be a problem after the Microsoft + Nokia aquisition. Since the 521 is one of their top selling phones, their supply of new WP devices will most likely increase over time. It also helps that they will pay off Early Termination Fees.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I use H20 wireless in my AT&T branded Lumia 1520. I rated it 9/10... I pay $40 flat monthly fee for unlimited text and call. 1GB data and its included free $20 for international call.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile pay as we go talk and text I rate 10\10
We have this service on 2 devices.
Suits our needs with utmost simplicity.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got Verizon. I'd rate them high on the coverage scale, for sure. They're the only carrier that can keep me from dropping calls or data in my area. People at church who are on ATT have to go outside to carry on a conversation. I love seeing all of the iPhonies out there in the parking lot.

Customer service? I don't know. I rarely have any need to contact them, but when I have, I've been satisfied from what I can recall. I guess they didn't make me too mad, now did they?

The only thing I dislike about Verizon is the selection of Windows Phones. For a company that said a year ago that they could do with Windows Phone what they did with Android (putting it on the map), they sure seem to not be doing as much as they could. Bring us the variety of WP devices that ATT has!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T seems evil at times, ripping out Qi and Data Sense and other less than great antics.

What he said. I've been a customer with ATT since Cingular, and I don't appreciate when they take their bloody time on updates, getting rid of a lot of good features, and selling me the 920 with a lot of the Qi accessories, then a year later, switching to PMA, making me buy NEW accessories. I don't recommended ATT anymore, now I suggest T-Mobile, especially with their new plans and paying the ETF.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been T-Mobile just shy of 12 years now. Only time I ever really had problems with them was in early 2011 after losing my phone at the time and then the customer service rep who helped me at the store when I replaced it pulling a couple of fast ones on me because I didn't know better (she tacked on handset protection insurance without even asking me if I wanted it and lied to me in telling me that my grandfathered $2.99 T-Zones wouldn't work with the Nokia E73 Mode, adding $13 per month to my then normally $41 per month plan). Then I had an issue with losing 300 of my monthly texts, bringing them down from 800 to 500 (due to tacking on the data, from what a phone rep told me) and my data crapping out for a week a few months later. But in spite of those few bad experiences, I would still rate T-Mo 9.5/10. They've been really good to me over the years and have always been reliable.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Pricing, not really sure, but I keep seeing better deals elsewhere. (Unlimited, more data etc for less, even more colored by my 300 MB plan)

On the plus side, its reliable and I never have problems using my dinky monthly allocation.

Agree.. I stick with ATT because they are more reliable in my area, but the fact that there still is no talk of LTE in my area, and it makes Verizon look more and more interesting.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had AT&T since it was Cingular. It is rather expensive, but I get what I pay for. I've never had issues with speeds or coverage where I live (I have LTE), and I've felt that AT&T was the best in terms of getting the hot new devices of any platform first and with the best selection. I have no plan to switch carriers.

Rad Matic

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Happy with AirVoice (ATT) for $10/month. 250 mins or 500 texts or 150MBs. The Nokia Xpress and UC browsers use very little data (compression). I can browse as much as I want and stream the occasional radio program. I go off-highway to hike with my dog so only ATT or Verizon coverage suffice. H2O (ATT) would be even cheaper. $10/three months. 200 mins or 200 texts or 100MBs. That's $3.33/month. Combined with an L520 for $59, everyone can afford a smartphone addiction. SIMs for both are $1 on eBay.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been on Tmobile since I was able to sign a contract. Couldn't get my 925 with promotion at Kiosk this weekend, but its getting shipped to me, should be here Wednesday. Anyway, tested the 925 at the kiosk (mall is only a mile away from me) and it was 60down 18up, and I'm paying, around 80 with discount for two lines (pre tax) so I'm happy. Unlimited everything.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and honestly I have to rate a 10/10, I live in western SD and I never have a problem with losing signal, plus the phone choice is far more premium, as for cost we were looking at moving to Verizon because of costs but found them to be more expensive for less (family plan with unlimited talk, text, and 4gb data with three smartphones) also the costumer service at the AT&T store is phenomenal honestly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99