Why does the carrier have control over OTA Updates

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I know this question might sound like a noob question, but i don't understand why the carrier has to approve a firmware or an OS update to windows phone.
i have a Country Variant lumia device and i still didn't get the GDR3 or the Lumia Black because of the stupid carriers. This is frustrating:angry::angry::angry:, wish microsoft take control over this.
So if you please explain the reasons to me.

Thank you all.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It's their network, and their services that can potentially be affected. So they test everything to ensure nothing really hogs their network traffic, lower quality, etc.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
They do actually. Apple sends the update to the carriers before release with a strict timeline of when to have it approved.

I thought they had to connect it to iTunes to install the update (this was before IOS5)

but such control is Obnoxious because i am in Australia and still waiting for it while people in USA and China have gotten it.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft or Nokia break your phone, it's still the carriers issue first. I would certainly take my phone back to the shop before sending it to either.

Country variants are even worse, as I'd imagine they need to wait till all carriers are ready, to make sure the phone has fixes for all networks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
sure as for me i bought a UK country variant, which means this phone is not attached to any network/service provider, i am in Zimbabwe, so who is holding my update? whose network would be affected because definately my service provider is not holding this update for me and is not testing this update.
For these phones with 'no strings attached' who test the updates?????

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
IPhone updates didn't wait for the network approval.
And how can a frimware harm a network?

Approval has nothing to do with it - you are right in that updates can't realistically harm a network.

No, the reason is because Apple provides after-sales support for their products themselves, rather than relying on the carriers. So if you have an iPhone from AT&T or whoever, Apple will answer your calls, fix problems, exchange it if it is faulty, anything. Whereas for any other phone, the carrier is committed to offering support and so they want to make sure the update doesn't cause any problems - otherwise they'll get a lot of annoyed customers calling them up or demanding replacements.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
sure as for me i bought a UK country variant, which means this phone is not attached to any network/service provider, i am in Zimbabwe, so who is holding my update? whose network would be affected because definately my service provider is not holding this update for me and is not testing this update.
For these phones with 'no strings attached' who test the updates?????

In your case, with a Country variant, I believe it is Microsoft/Nokia that are holding your update. Once they are happy for it to be released for your model of phone in your particular country, you'll get it. You would have thought that all Country variants would get the update first, because they skip the carrier testing part, but that's not always the case unfortunately.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
How can you determine whether your phone is country variant?

If for example you purchased your phone Sim free and unbranded and just popped in a Sim of your choice, it should be a Country variant model. If for example, you purchased the phone on Contract from a large carrier, they would usually have firmware tied to them, meaning it wouldn't be a Country variant model. You can often tell by checking the Firmware version number, in settings, then 'about', then tap on 'more information'.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You can register your phone for development and your phone will be "developer-unlock" after that you can install all updates before the carrier

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
You can register your phone for development and your phone will be "developer-unlock" after that you can install all updates before the carrier

to be honest with you I an a windows rt developer so it is just a matter of time for me to become a win phone dev
However the fact is that the dev phone will void warranty so I am trying to stay away from this till I have to.

The fact that I have a country variant phone and a stupid carrier/s is controlling when I will get the update is making me sick, Microsoft should do something about this
And btw this is the reason why we don't get frequent updates to win phone

Stupid carriers

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
This is where Microsoft and Nokia need to up their game. Compare this with iOS OTA updates. No waiting, everyone can update their devices tge moment an update is released.

It's things like this that separate the men from the boys, and that's why Apple tops Microsoft in the overall UX. The additional fact that Microsoft allows WP across several manufacturer devices certainly doesn't help users like you.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
This is where Microsoft and Nokia need to up their game. Compare this with iOS OTA updates. No waiting, everyone can update their devices tge moment an update is released.

It's things like this that separate the men from the boys, and that's why Apple tops Microsoft in the overall UX. The additional fact that Microsoft allows WP across several manufacturer devices certainly doesn't help users like you.

I am sorry but you are wrong the UX in the windows , windows rt, windows phone is by far easier and better than ios, osx
Apple is losing the game pretty fast because of the restrictions it applies.
Microsoft can make a surface phone like the rumors said but restricting it to one manufacture means that you won't have different hardware options and different price tags only on set of specs and one price which will probably be a high one.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Then why are their updates ALWAYS so fast, on ALL of their supported iOS devices at the same time?

Because Apple were clever enough to force the carriers into signing a contract to make them hit the dates Apple wanted. Lets also not forget Apple users get a single update every year.

The carriers wanted Apple phones, so Apple could bend them over a barrel. I do wonder if Samsung are getting close enough to critical mass, to be able to force the carriers into doing what they want.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Read above. Apple takes on the responsibility of support if the update breaks things. No other OEM or OS developer does this.
it will be great if Microsoft does the same. They have a lot of money to do it. Maybe now that they purchased the mobile division of Nokia, that's what they intent to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss