Why does the carrier have control over OTA Updates

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
it will be great if Microsoft does the same. They have a lot of money to do it. Maybe now that they purchased the mobile division of Nokia, that's what they intent to do.

well I guess MS will do it calmly to get carriers to do that instead of the forceful Apple way.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
They do actually. Apple sends the update to the carriers before release with a strict timeline of when to have it approved.

That's not true at all. Apple controls every aspect of the update and carriers aren't involved at all. It's impossible to have every single carrier ready by the exact same date around the world. There are Apple updates, and there are carrier specific updates that happen separately. Carrier updates cant touch the OS at all.

Because Apple were clever enough to force the carriers into signing a contract to make them hit the dates Apple wanted. Lets also not forget Apple users get a single update every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A single update? iOS 7 was just released a few months ago, it's already on iOS 7.0.4. That's a few updates in mere months with another one due very soon. So, how is that one update every year?

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
You can register your phone for development and your phone will be "developer-unlock" after that you can install all updates before the carrier

Just to add, you can only install OS updates before the carrier releases them, not firmware updates like Black.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that CV phones get their updates directly from Nokia. Updates for carrier locked phones depend on the carriers.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
A single update? iOS 7 was just released a few months ago, it's already on iOS 7.0.4. That's a few updates in mere months with another one due very soon. So, how is that one update every year?

Those aren't updates - those are bug fixes. Big difference. Apple runs in a hyper controlled environment - a technology bubble. They make the hardware, the software and rigidly control the ecosystem - all under one roof.. So yeah, o/s versions better be out there in a timely fashion. Not only that, but the core of iOS hasn't really changed since it's inception in 2007. Compare with WP7 to WP8 - completely different under the hood.

Imagine if HTC, Nokia, Samsung and Huawei were all across the hallway from in each other in Redmond. Do you think the software roll outs would be smoother for Windows Phone?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Those aren't updates - those are bug fixes. Big difference. Apple runs in a hyper controlled environment - a technology bubble. They make the hardware, the software and rigidly control the ecosystem - all under one roof.. So yeah, o/s versions better be out there in a timely fashion. Not only that, but the core of iOS hasn't really changed since it's inception in 2007. Compare with WP7 to WP8 - completely different under the hood.

Imagine if HTC, Nokia, Samsung and Huawei were all across the hallway from in each other in Redmond. Do you think the software roll outs would be smoother for Windows Phone?

Ok, iOS 6.0-6.1 wasn't a update? Just like 7.0-7.1 won't be an update? Sure, let's pretend its not.

Windows Phone 7 was a sick joke by Microsoft. A stop gap, something to keep us fans busy.

Imagine if the OEMs were all across the hall from each other? No, the updates would still be off. Those are still different companies with different principles.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, iOS 6.0-6.1 wasn't a update? Just like 7.0-7.1 won't be an update? Sure, let's pretend its not.

Windows Phone 7 was a sick joke by Microsoft. A stop gap, something to keep us fans busy.

Imagine if the OEMs were all across the hall from each other? No, the updates would still be off. Those are still different companies with different principles.

But the whole point is if I make the hardware, software and control everything about my product I GUARANTEE software roll outs will be smoother than in a multi vendor system.

Right after iOS 7 was released, two weeks later an "upgrade" was released to address issues - not to add cool new features. I suppose a software release to fix the Apple maps fiasco was an "update" and not a "bug fix".

I get that most folks who have/had WP7 devices feelings are hurt, but the language of the O/S is totally different than it was then. iOS has remained essentially unchanged at the core since its inception.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
But the whole point is if I make the hardware, software and control everything about my product I GUARANTEE software roll outs will be smoother than in a multi vendor system.

Right after iOS 7 was released, two weeks later an "upgrade" was released to address issues - not to add cool new features. I suppose a software release to fix the Apple maps fiasco was an "update" and not a "bug fix".

Smh, you're arguing just to argue.

Ask blackberry how controlling everything guarantees you nothing.

You completely ignored the 6.0-6.1 and 7.0-7.1 updates. Will 7.1 address your cool new features, or will you push the imaginary line further to something else? Because the fact is, iOS receives multiple updates a year.

How is maps even relevant to updates?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Smh, you're arguing just to argue.
Okay. Point By point.

-BlackBerry has nothing - zero - to do with this. They failed because they saw how the smartphone market was changing and did nothing to aid their position. It had nothing to do with amount of updates it had a year or how it makes its own hardware. That's absolutely ridiculous.

- I can't answer about 7.1, because it isn't out yet. Apple may implement something new, or it may just address an outstanding issue of some kind. I have no idea.

- Because Apple maps were a baked in feature and an update was required to fix it.

So through all of this, is your position basically "The more updates a company puts out a year, the better a product is"?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Point By point.

-BlackBerry has nothing - zero - to do with this. They failed because they saw how the smartphone market was changing and did nothing to aid their position. It had nothing to do with amount of updates it had a year or how it makes its own hardware. That's absolutely ridiculous.

- I can't answer about 7.1, because it isn't out yet. Apple may implement something new, or it may just address an outstanding issue of some kind. I have no idea.

- Because Apple maps were a baked in feature and an update was required to fix it.

So through all of this, is your position basically "The more updates a company puts out a year, the better a product is"?

You win, you have went way off topic.

- you said you could guarantee software updates would be smoother if you controlled the hardware and software. I said look at blackberry to see this guarantees nothing. Then you proceed with this other rant completely disregarding the fact that controlling software and hardware guarantees nothing.

-right you can't answer about 7.1 but you can answer about 6.1. Fact is ios gets multiple updates per year. What are they going to add a notification center? Wait...

- Because Apple maps were a baked in feature and an update was required to fix it. (It was updated I see)update.

No, no one said that, and I have no clue how one can draw that conclusion. I just stated a simple fact, iOS receives multiple updates per year, then you proceeded to go on about other stuff. That's all.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Why is that relevant? we are talking about pushing stuff OTA, so whether it is a full fledged update or a bug fix it doesn't matter, they still get pushed OTA by apple without any issues. Large part of GDRs is bug fixing as well....

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
People no offense to anyone; but this could be argued until the cows come home and all of us are not going to change things one way or another. All of them (carriers, device makers etc) are going to do things the way they think they need to do them. We can only sit back and watch how it unfolds. I choose to buy WP8 smartphones and Android tablets so I could have at least two choices in case one or the other does better than the other. I really hope all four (yes even blackberry and apple) make it and they all get around 25% of the market. It would be better for the bunch of us. Remember when Apple had 95% of the market; remember how Android overcame all the odds and how has 80%+ of the market. I still believe Microsoft is going to become one of the bigger device providers. But you know what. If they don't the world will not end. I will not die and smartphones will not go away. Its a changing market, glad I was here to see it happen and I enjoy the hell out of seeing it all unfold. Be nice guys to each other. It don't cost you a cent and in the end we all might learn something from each other. Peace Brother

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess the TLDR is that people are too stupid to distinguish the difference in responsibilities between themselves and their carrier. Nice that the developer preview option is there at least.

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry but you are wrong the UX in the windows , windows rt, windows phone is by far easier and better than ios, osx

Apple is losing the game pretty fast because of the restrictions it applies.

Microsoft can make a surface phone like the rumors said but restricting it to one manufacture means that you won't have different hardware options and different price tags only on set of specs and one price which will probably be a high one.

The TS is frustrated because updates are not coming sooner than he expects. He would not be if he was on iOS. Is this not proof than we have an issue with the user experience here?

iOS is gradually becoming bloated; I moved out not because I was intimidated by this but because I wanted something simpler. WP is simple as it is right now, but it can take a leaf from certain aspects of iOs. Like fixing IMAP. Like adding the Safari's reader feature. Little things count but too many little things confuse.

I'm certainly no Apple ******, I use Mac OS because it's simply better than Windows. I switched to WP because of the 1020 and grew to appreciate the simplicity of the OS. But it can and needs to improve various aspects of its ecosystem. Software updates included 😏

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
The TS is frustrated because updates are not coming sooner than he expects. He would not be if he was on iOS. Is this not proof than we have an issue with the user experience here?

iOS is gradually becoming bloated; I moved out not because I was intimidated by this but because I wanted something simpler. WP is simple as it is right now, but it can take a leaf from certain aspects of iOs. Like fixing IMAP. Like adding the Safari's reader feature. Little things count but too many little things confuse.

I'm certainly no Apple ******, I use Mac OS because it's simply better than Windows. I switched to WP because of the 1020 and grew to appreciate the simplicity of the OS. But it can and needs to improve various aspects of its ecosystem. Software updates included 😏

I agree with you that windows phone still needs to improve some aspects of the system. But that is part of the reason that I created the thread, the only for Microsoft to fix and improve is through the os updates and the carriers delays with the so called tests is not helping it, they are delaying these updates alot.
Why will a L1020 and L925 get the update before the 920 or 520, do they think that the update is ok on those devices but needs testing on the 920 or 520

What I am saying is that the carrier delays are not logical, Nokia already tested the firmware and Microsoft tested the gdr3 so carrier testing is an insult to Microsoft and Nokia

And the fact that I own a country variant and still have to wait for all the carriers to approve the update is just not logical.

Apple Sucks and you can't change that. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo