Requirements for T-mobile to pay ETF

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I went to T-Mobile last evening to move our two lines from AT&T over to T-Mobile. We planned on trading in her AT&T iPhone 5 and purchasing a iPhone 5S from T-Mobile (I tried convincing her several times the past two years two Windows Phone with no luck, but that's another story) so we can take advantage of T-Mobile reimbursing us for the ETF for her line. For my line, I planned on using my AT&T Lumia 920 (I unlocked it a few months ago and tried it on T-Mobile prepaid for a few days with no issues) and just pay the ETF to AT&T.

So we arrive at the store and begin setting up a new T-Mobile account with the customer service rep. We originally wanted the 500 MB LTE package, but were informed by the rep. that for the first month (30 days to be exact) we're required to have the 2.5 GB LTE plan in order to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement on my wife's line. A few minutes later as she was setting up my wife's iPhone, the rep. then informed us that we are required to purchase the "JUMP!" insurance/device upgrade service on my wife's line and must keep it on the account for 30 days to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement.

I haven't heard anything about this online nor are these additional requirements listed anywhere on T-Mobile's website or even on any of the paperwork we received. I get the feeling that these additional stipulations aren't required and either she is misinformed or is trying to boost her sales numbers. I don't mind paying the extra $30/month for 1 month then cancelling the additional services if it's indeed required, but I definitely don't want to pay extra for something we actually don't need and deceived into buying it.

Can anyone share their experience with moving to T-Mobile and mention if the 2.5 GB LTE package and JUMP! package are required to get the ETF reimbursement? Thanks.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I personally would contact a supervisor over the phone. They're usually really good with explaining and reimbursing. I never heard of a specific plan required (though I would recommend JUMP anyway its a really nice choice). If you dont need to have those services they'll likely remove them and reimburse you. I had a problem with my Plan and was misinformed and they gave me credit on my next bill, and I had problems upgrading (said they had phone in store and said I was able to upgrade but supposedly have a error in system and it was a few days later) and they paid my whole down payment on phone and are overnight shipping me a phone, really amazing customer service. Also they're treating it as a standard, not JUMP upgrade so I still get two JUMPs this year!!

Moral of the story, contact them and ask. As a ehh former "uncarrier" part timer employee, be sure to use the word Mislead.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I personally would contact a supervisor over the phone. They're usually really good with explaining and reimbursing. I never heard of a specific plan required (though I would recommend JUMP anyway its a really nice choice). If you dont need to have those services they'll likely remove them and reimburse you. I had a problem with my Plan and was misinformed and they gave me credit on my next bill, and I had problems upgrading (said they had phone in store and said I was able to upgrade but supposedly have a error in system and it was a few days later) and they paid my whole down payment on phone and are overnight shipping me a phone, really amazing customer service. Also they're treating it as a standard, not JUMP upgrade so I still get two JUMPs this year!!

Moral of the story, contact them and ask. As a ehh former "uncarrier" part timer employee, be sure to use the word Mislead.

I gave them a call yesterday and they stated that there is no requirement to have the 2.5 GB LTE plan nor is there any requirement for having JUMP! in order to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement. No credit to my account, but they removed the extra services from my account with no issue. Thanks for your help.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I gave them a call yesterday and they stated that there is no requirement to have the 2.5 GB LTE plan nor is there any requirement for having JUMP! in order to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement. No credit to my account, but they removed the extra services from my account with no issue. Thanks for your help.
Good for you! A lot of people DONT question these things and wind up getting screwed in the end, at least you took matters into your own hand and you wont even have to go a month with a higher bill that's not justified.

Foogoo

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I registered here so I can say the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. The rep told me that to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement, I'd have to pay $30 for the first line as well as get the $10 data plan and $10 insurance. Thank goodness I did my research before pulling the trigger. I wonder how many customers he's already misled...

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Other than the misleading info you encountered, any other gotchas? I've got three lines that'll have up to a $350 ETF FROM Verizon. I know you have to submit for reimbursement and it's in the form of a MasterCard prepaid card. Anything else? Monthly it should save us about $65.

TMO must really want new business.

Foogoo

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Other than the misleading info you encountered, any other gotchas? I've got three lines that'll have up to a $350 ETF FROM Verizon. I know you have to submit for reimbursement and it's in the form of a MasterCard prepaid card. Anything else? Monthly it should save us about $65.

TMO must really want new business.

And salespeople must really want commission, understandable, but not through lying...

It is stated on the FAQ on the T-Mobile webiste, but to qualify for the $350 ETF credit, you can trade in any old broken flip phone, in case you were not aware. This same salesperson was trying to tell me it had to be a smartphone on their list (that's only to get additional credit). Also, a better salesguy at another store I'm now doing the transfer with told me that for the new phone you buy from T-Mobile, do not pay it off until you receive the ETF credit. Something about they'll consider it differently and not give you the credit. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'm not going to risk it. So make monthly payments then pay it off (if you want to) after you receive the credit.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the additional info. I'll def. make sure they don't upsell me unless I really want what they're selling. Walking away always helps with that.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the additional info. I'll def. make sure they don't upsell me unless I really want what they're selling. Walking away always helps with that.

I submitted our final bill from AT&T to T-mobile and I received an e-mail stating that they're currently verifying our ETF reimbursement application. Once I hear anything further, I'll post here.

Last edited:

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Went in on last saturday and had a great experience, he sold us on the JUMP and pitched the " you should try the 2.5GB and if you dont like it call back and we will reinburse you", so we got it. He was upfront and honest and i didnt feel pressured. Now to see what my ETF bill will look like.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about this whole ETF reimbursement program. What's to stop someone wanting to switch from Verizon to AT&T from going to T-Mobile, having them pay the Verizon ETF, keeping the T-Mobile service for a month or so, and then porting out to AT&T? I wouldn't ever do anything like that, but I'm sure there are people that would. T-Mobile has to have something in place to prevent that, right?

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think that's the point of their no contract. As long as you pay off your device, you can leave. And since you can't get a regular contract plan from at&t, I don't think they will will pay your etf twice.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about this whole ETF reimbursement program. What's to stop someone wanting to switch from Verizon to AT&T from going to T-Mobile, having them pay the Verizon ETF, keeping the T-Mobile service for a month or so, and then porting out to AT&T? I wouldn't ever do anything like that, but I'm sure there are people that would. T-Mobile has to have something in place to prevent that, right?

You have to do three things in order to be eligible for the ETF reimbursement:
  1. Trade in a phone. I've heard that some people have had success in trading in flip phones, but the representative that set me up with T-Mobile said that you need to trade in a smartphone. However, given the copious amount of misinformation that she told me during the sign up process, I wouldn't be surprised that she was also wrong about having to trade in a smartphone.
  2. Sign up for a qualifying plan.
  3. Purchase a device from T-Mobile and finance it by paying it off in monthly payments.

Number 3 is where they get you. You can't buy the phone outright, but must instead pay it off every month. From what I've read, there appears to be a "verification period" of at least a few weeks to two months after you submit the ETF reimbursement form where if during that time period you pay off the phone, you won't be eligible for reimbursement.

I suppose you could leave T-Mobile immediately after receiving your reimbursement, but at that point they got you pay to pay for at least one or (more likely) two months of service, plus having you buy a phone from them at retail price. So even if you do leave T-Mobile, they still most likely made a profit or at least broke even on you switching and paying your ETF.

Foogoo

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Just an FYI, you can trade in any old broken flip phone for the ETF reimbursement, you just won't get any new phone purchase credit. It's on the T-Mobile site FAQ. The rep at the store told me the same thing until I showed him the page.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update... I received an e-mail stating that the copy of the final bill that I submitted did not have the ETF amount listed for the line which we want to get reimbursed for. The thing is, that amount is listed on the first page of the final bill PDF that I submitted. I called customer service and they transferred me to the department that handles reimbursements, but they were already closed for the evening.

I have to say that I'm less than impressed with T-Mobile's customer service thus far, with being mislead when signing up for service and now having difficulty getting reimbursed.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously considering this. I got a SIM card and my wife is using it now on the pay by day plan to see if the coverage is acceptable for us.

This thread helped answer a few questions for me. We wanted to turn in old phones and keep our current Lumia 822s. I was also wondering what happens if we want to switch again in a few months. I know we would have to pay off the new phones (even if we keep using the 822s and just have a couple 521s in a box still), and that is no problem, but wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden fees. I mean obviously we have to submit the ETF bill and wait for the payment, but it seems like nothing else is stopping us from leaving T-mobile.

So far in our area T-mobile's coverage is fine and another day or two will answer everything for us.

Oh one other thing, we go to the store and they port our numbers, right? Then do we call Verizon and cancel service?

Edit: Where does it say we can trade in old phones, not just the one that is currently being used by the number that is ported?

Last edited:

Foogoo

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I found the page saying you could turn in any phone, even a broken phone.

T-Mobile's Early Termination Fee (ETF) Reimburs... | T-Mobile Support

Going tonight to make the switch.

Let us know if you find out how to return the phone. The store at first said I couldn't and when I showed them the page, they said I'll receive a mailer. Never got one. Called support and sent in circles leading to nothing. The T-Mobile page only links to getting a mailer for trading in an "approved" smartphone.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Went into the store with two old phones (Samsung Blackjack 2 and Solstice) and walked out with two 521s. Actually gave us more for the old phones (BJ2-$15, Solstice-$5) than they would have for our Nokia 822s ($3 each). We are still using the 822s and will probably sell the 521s.

So far so good. Will give an update when we get the ETF refund card.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The prepaid credit card for the ETF reimbursement arrived last week. I received a written rejection letter for the first attempt at submitting the final bill from AT&T a few weeks ago, but submitting the exact same PDF file again after being rejected the first time appeared to have worked. Total time from submitting the reimbursement request to receiving the reimbursement credit card was somewhere around 7 weeks, which falls within the 6-8 week timeframe that T-mobile estimates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99