Because T-Mobile is forcing other carriers to actually compete.

T-Mobile wireless price war feared | BGR

Jefferies analyst Michael McCormack, for one, told Reuters that he found it “most disappointing” that AT&T has been reacting to T-Mobile’s “Uncarrier” moves by offering special offers of its own.
    Disappointing? I don't even... Man! Maaaaaaaaaan!
    01-15-2014 01:00 PM
    I am not aware of what's going on between the two, but from an Economists' point of view I do agree with the dude partially as clearly dropping prices lower and lower leads to a flat market where only consumer wins. In such market, it will be hard for any new competition to walk in or even the current carriers may not find it a lucrative market leading to a halt on Wall Street in this sector.
    palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-15-2014 02:35 PM
    If a battle like this would turn AT&T into a stand up company (like they used to be back in the old Worldnet days) I as a disappointed ex-customer may even start doing business with them.

legere.jpg
    I'd be scared too
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    metalchick719 and rockstarzzz like this.
    01-15-2014 03:25 PM
    I am not aware of what's going on between the two, but from an Economists' point of view I do agree with the dude partially as clearly dropping prices lower and lower leads to a flat market where only consumer wins. In such market, it will be hard for any new competition to walk in or even the current carriers may not find it a lucrative market leading to a halt on Wall Street in this sector.
    It's one of those things that you have to be from the states to understand.I own my phones. I was paying AT&T $178.00 a month for two phone after tax, 900 shared minutes, and 2GB data on one phone and 3GB on the other phone. I switched to T-Mobile and i am paying $118.00 after tax, unlimited voice and 2.5GB of data on each phone.
    Laura Knotek and rockstarzzz like this.
    01-15-2014 09:34 PM
    It's one of those things that you have to be from the states to understand.I own my phones. I was paying AT&T $178.00 a month for two phone after tax, 900 shared minutes, and 2GB data on one phone and 3GB on the other phone. I switched to T-Mobile and i am paying $118.00 after tax, unlimited voice and 2.5GB of data on each phone.
    WOW! You guys pay tons of money for mobile phones! How the hell is iPhone still selling so well?

I pay 15 per month. Unlimited texts, Unlimited minutes, Unlimited internet (including tethering - fair usage of 25GB/month), Free Deezer Premium subscription, 2 for 1 Cinema tickets every Wednesday, 2 for 1 Pizza Express pizzas every Wednesday and free Lumia 925. Now unless my 5 equates to $118 in terms of living standards in UK vs USA, I can't understand this deal!

In the UK, if you work 3 hours, you can earn 15 plus a bit with the national minimum wage. Is $118 that easy to earn in the US? Never been to the US but this makes me want to go there at least once.

Can we get Dave to invite us to his house for Thanksgiving 2014? :)
    palandri and HeyCori like this.
    01-16-2014 09:25 AM
    Because T-Mobile is forcing other carriers to actually compete.

T-Mobile wireless price war feared | BGR

Disappointing? I don't even... Man! Maaaaaaaaaan!
    I don't see a price war yet. tmo isn't drastically cheaper than att.

the cheapest I've seen is straight talk, if you don't mind giving your money to Walmart. it's significantly cheaper there, and I believe that's where the competition is coming from.

art/tmo are enjoying very good times right now, both caring the iPhone and galaxy whatever-it-is-this-quarter.
    01-16-2014 09:33 AM
    I only have few select words for Wall Street and none of them are nice..
    01-16-2014 09:49 AM
    WOW! You guys pay tons of money for mobile phones! How the hell is iPhone still selling so well?

I pay 15 per month. Unlimited texts, Unlimited minutes, Unlimited internet (including tethering - fair usage of 25GB/month), Free Deezer Premium subscription, 2 for 1 Cinema tickets every Wednesday, 2 for 1 Pizza Express pizzas every Wednesday and free Lumia 925. Now unless my 5 equates to $118 in terms of living standards in UK vs USA, I can't understand this deal!

In the UK, if you work 3 hours, you can earn 15 plus a bit with the national minimum wage. Is $118 that easy to earn in the US? Never been to the US but this makes me want to go there at least once.

U.S. wireless carriers have been playing follow the leader price wise, rather than competing for quite a while now.
    01-16-2014 11:07 AM

Ugh! I hate posts like this. Even when choosing amongst networks just in the US you will get burned if you pick based purely on price. Waaayyyy too much information is missing for any kind of usable comparison to be made. Furthermore I highly doubt that 15 pounds a month buys unbroken home service (ie no roaming) cell phone coverage for 2800 mile trips with LTE service over large chunks of that geography.

I remeber Sprint used to have their "everything" plan. Unlimited everything for less than the average at&t plan. The catch was... you had to use Sprint.
    01-25-2014 04:35 PM
    .... Furthermore I highly doubt that 15 pounds a month buys unbroken home service (ie no roaming) cell phone coverage for 2800 mile trips with LTE service over large chunks of that geography....
    on the 2800 mile trip, if you leave the interstate, you leave lte
    02-02-2014 04:02 AM
    Erm, you're not going to do a 2800 mile trip in the UK-lol. Roaming in Europe costs extra. I pay 15 payg, for 300mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data. (But I pay extra for certain numbers and extra for calls texts to offshore islands that are still within the British Isles).
    $115 per month though 😞 I couldn't afford a phone in the US.
    02-02-2014 04:41 AM
    A 2,800 mile trip in Europe can also span multiple countries.
    02-02-2014 07:22 AM