Why does ATT charge extra just to be allowed to be their customer?

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I REALLY want a 1520, but the 16GB, no Qi and AT$T lock-in was a deal breaker.

But now, the 32GB model is available, so it's calling to me again. So, I think maybe I can buy one off-contract, then buy 2 months of service just to get eligible for the unlock code. Ok, there's a bit of a price premium, but I'd still rather have an RM-940 than RM-937. Yeah, I'd really like an RM-938, but, you know...

So, I hit AT$T's web site. Black only; web only. $640 or so off-contract. Yeah, ok, that's pretty much the ballpark I was expecting.

$70/month for all of 1GB data. Pretty much why I defected to T-Mo. Ok, fine. $640 plus another $140 plus mystery fees to get the phone and eligibility for an unlock code. Stiff, but still in the realm of what I'd be willing to pay.

Then I see "added to first month" fee of $36 activation.

Say what? This is how you try to get my business? Charge me extortionate rates for monthly service that I really don't want, all so I can unlock a device that I already own free and clear, and then you add on another $36 just tax the transaction, and I'm supposed to be happy with that?

I can afford the $36, but it's a total turn-off. I know this is pretty common for the industry, but hey, you want my custom? Maybe throw me an inducement instead of charging me for it.

cm5871

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Sprint Activation fee= $36
Verizon Activation fee= $30
AT&T Activation fee= $36
T-Mobile Activation fee (only if you activate on a classic plan)= $36

All carriers have them here in the US. It's nothing new. not defending AT&T but that's the way all of them do it.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
What really galls me is that even when you pay a full non-subsidized price, you still end up with a subsidy lock and a future of **** kissing just for the privilege of being able to use your own device.

mattcheau

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
a simple request to have the activation fee waived is granted more often than not. but they're more than happy to charge it if you're willing to pay it.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ya ...it might taken a few attempts but its easy to get activation fees waived

The better approach is to tell the sales rep up front that you won't buy unless its waived on the spot
...gota use what leverage you have

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't have a problem trying that, except:

1) It says it's available on the web only
2) The local ATT stores have in the past flat out refused to sell me a phone off-contract.

Which is the second reason why I switched carriers

mattcheau

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
are you even planning to activate the device on AT&T? why are you talking about the off-contract price and an activation fee in the same thread? since you seem to be a little confused (likely from not ever having any cellular contract of your own), the activation fee is charged to your first bill -- meaning it isn't charged until you actually activate the device regardless of where it's purchased from.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I said I was going round pay for as many months of service it would take for me to be eligible for an unlock code. From what I've read, that'd be two months.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Off contract means no two year commitment, but you still have to buy month to month service (meaning activation) to be eligible for the unlock.

mattcheau

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
thanks. i've received unlock codes and waived activation fees from AT&T before. you'll see how helpful my comment was if and when you actually buy a device. /thread

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

But now, the 32GB model is available, so it's calling to me again. So, I think maybe I can buy one off-contract, then buy 2 months of service just to get eligible for the unlock code. Ok, there's a bit of a price premium, but I'd still rather have an RM-940 than RM-937. Yeah, I'd really like an RM-938, but, you know...

So, I hit AT$T's web site. Black only; web only. $640 or so off-contract. Yeah, ok, that's pretty much the ballpark I was expecting.

$70/month for all of 1GB data. Pretty much why I defected to T-Mo. Ok, fine. $640 plus another $140 plus mystery fees to get the phone and eligibility for an unlock code. Stiff, but still in the realm of what I'd be willing to pay.

Say what? This is how you try to get my business? Charge me extortionate rates for monthly service that I really don't want, all so I can unlock a device that I already own free and clear, and then you add on another $36 just tax the transaction, and I'm supposed to be happy with that?

I can afford the $36, but it's a total turn-off. I know this is pretty common for the industry, but hey, you want my custom? Maybe throw me an inducement instead of charging me for it.

If you cannot get out of paying that $36, that is your issue. Wait a few weeks and get an unlocked one on SWAPPA and use a prepaid SIM.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
thanks. i've received unlock codes and waived activation fees from AT&T before. you'll see how helpful my comment was if and when you actually buy a device. /thread

They don't wave the activation fees anymore, that's a thing of the past. All these numbers are known before you buy. Yes they are outrageous, but if ya don't like them, buy something\somewhere else.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Sprint Activation fee= $36
Verizon Activation fee= $30
AT&T Activation fee= $36
T-Mobile Activation fee (only if you activate on a classic plan)= $36

All carriers have them here in the US. It's nothing new. not defending AT&T but that's the way all of them do it.

This really should put an end to the baseless slander... but we know it won't. at&t sucks for a host of reasons but the activation fee isn't one of them.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Try AT&T. I hear they are much cheaper than AT$T

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Get the phone using AT&T Next (which is retail price divided into payments), no activation fee. Then just pay the phone off since you're allowed to accelerate the payments. That way, you've paid what you expect, avoided the activation fee and the phone is yours to do with as you want. Then, instead of paying $70 for 1GB of data ($45 data + $25 line charge), get 4GB for $95 ($70 data + $25 line charge) or even better, get 10GB for $125.

You won't win the price war, but if you're willing to spend $700 on the phone, then upping your rate plan will get you more data-bang-for-the-buck.

mattcheau

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
They don't wave the activation fees anymore, that's a thing of the past. All these numbers are known before you buy. Yes they are outrageous, but if ya don't like them, buy something\somewhere else.
they waived the activation fee for the device i'm posting this from not two months ago.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb