Buying at Microsoft Store vs Verizon

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I am due for an upgrade next week, have been waiting to get an icon. Are there any disadvantages to buying at the Microsoft store? Would I still be able to insure the phone through Verizon if purchased at a Microsoft Store? I pre-ordered the phone and have a charging plate waiting for me at the store, which is why I am really asking these questions. Any downside to purchasing at the Microsoft store?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't use Verizon, but I believe you can get a better insurance policy when you buy through the Microsoft store, from what I have read. I could be wrong.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand there is no downside about choosing the Microsoft store if there is one in your area. As stated above some prefer their insurance plan as well and you're more likely to get better customer service in regards to windows phone at a Microsoft store than a Verizon store. Personally I have not had any horrible experiences at the local vzw store but that's my experience which seems to be very different from most.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Your experience is not different from mine. I dread going into VZW stores. Now I am on T-mobile so that's not a problem, but my wife wants to go back to VZW for better coverage at her work. I will do as much as possible online. If there was a MSFT store closer I would use that in a heartbeat.

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased my new Icon from the Microsoft store. I was able to keep all my services exactly the same as I had them before. It was very smooth.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have purchased at the Microsoft Store, and had no problems at all. And as Pallandri said, the insurance is better. You pay for it up front ($99) instead of paying monthly (close to $250, IIRC, over two years), and the deductible is $50 instead of $100. I've used it once. Walked in with my busted-screen 928 after a man-eating snake tried to devour me and my phone saved me, handed them $50, and they handed me a box with a new phone. No waiting on the mail, no refurb. They just handed it to me.

Additionally, I've walked in with other problems with my phone that were not caused by me, and walked out with a new phone in hand. The last time I had to argue the point with the manager, but I was polite, yet firm, and even though I don't think they really had to give me a new phone, I walked out with a new phone. Altogether, I've had five 928s. When I upgrade again, I'm going with the Microsoft Store.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok - I tried. You can't Edge at Microsoft. You also can't buy at Verizon, and go to MS to buy insurance. So I will be getting an Icon tonight at the Verizon store by my house (none of the ones here near work have white).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes