Tmobile cancels corporate discounts for all

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just a $25 discount on a new device and no discount on the monthly bill sounds like a bad deal for customers. Most companies offer more than one carrier on their employee discounts. So a customer would save more money with say 10% off the bill each month if he/she took Verizon/Sprint/AT&T instead of T-Mobile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a $25 discount on a new device and no discount on the monthly bill sounds like a bad deal for customers. Most companies offer more than one carrier on their employee discounts. So a customer would save more money with say 10% off the bill each month if he/she took Verizon/Sprint/AT&T instead of T-Mobile.

Exactly. At my job (top 15 US hospital), t-mobile offers a 10% discount (Sprint is 15%, VZW 18%, AT&T 20%). My bill is cheap so this doesn't bug me as much to lose the discount, but savings are savings as I'd save an extra $10 a month with the discount. It is still a bad deal for consumers because not everyone will do an upgrade, so $25 as a one time deal every upgrade just doesn't cut it.

Seriously, t-mo is you've got good coverage is great if you're bringing your own device. Otherwise...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow. We have Verizon, and the coverage is basically enough to keep us there. But we also get a 20% discount which plays a huge role. Have ran numbers before and considered switching, but hadn't ran since they redid pricing with our discount. Oh well.

Edit: Sprint is just not viable, and AT&T has shoddy coverage in enough places we need, PLUS we have never had a good experience with them.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. At my job (top 15 US hospital), t-mobile offers a 10% discount (Sprint is 15%, VZW 18%, AT&T 20%). My bill is cheap so this doesn't bug me as much to lose the discount, but savings are savings as I'd save an extra $10 a month with the discount. It is still a bad deal for consumers because not everyone will do an upgrade, so $25 as a one time deal every upgrade just doesn't cut it.

Seriously, t-mo is you've got good coverage is great if you're bringing your own device. Otherwise...

The other thing is that the carriers usually offer discounts on new devices when upgrading too. AT&T FAN discounts (the discount on monthly bill) go along with AT&T Premier (discounts on devices when upgrading). I'd imagine Verizon and Sprint offer something similar.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The other thing is that the carriers usually offer discounts on new devices when upgrading too. AT&T FAN discounts (the discount on monthly bill) go along with AT&T Premier (discounts on devices when upgrading). I'd imagine Verizon and Sprint offer something similar.

I'm so jaded with the carriers these days. He biggest reason why I'm still with t-mobile is because I'm in a large metro area and their coverage is good enough to justify the monthly prices. My friend was with t-mo and went to AT&T, and I joke with her whenever she talks about me trying AT&T by saying if I get fired or quit my job I can still afford my bill, but her discounts make a serious difference for her and her husband.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can get a 22% discount with at&t, 19% with sprint, 17% with Verizon and 15% with tmobile.. With at&t discount my plan would be the same as with tmobile including the cost of the device

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This is going to suck for both me and my wife. She gets a 20% discount on monthly bill for both of our lines through her company, no matter which carrier she goes with. The only thing that has kept us on Tmobile has been the unlimited data which is super cheap with her discount. We currently only pay around $135.00 a month for unlimited everything and 2.5GB data share for devices on each phone.

Things have already been tense with Tmobile after they tried to jerk us around on upgrade prices, lack of more WP selection, useless reps in store..... Take away the discount and its just ridiculous to even think about staying with them any longer.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Loosing the monthly corporate discount is not that big of a deal for my wife and I since it wasn't that large (8%) compared to what some people were getting, but it is irritating, and so it made me revisit our options over the weekend. Since we like to buy our phones up front, and neither of us use much data, T-Mobile still works out cheaper than AT&T (or Verizon), even with the discounts offered for my company, but I'm surprised at how much more competitive their current plans are. Actually, at the 10Gb shared data level, AT&T with my corporate discount would be less expensive for us than two 5GB T-Mobile lines. We don't need that much data, but I also found an AT&T MVNO that may be a really good fit for us, and save us maybe $20/month off the base T-Mobile plans. I need to do a bit more research on that.

I think T-Mobile is going to regret not at least grandfathering in those already getting the discounts; it's one thing to stop offering benefits for new customers, but taking something away from existing customers is just going to drive them to look elsewhere.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading up on this the past two days. Government employees and people in the military will still get their discounts, so the discount my mother and I get should be fine. She works for a CUNY school, so we should continue getting ours. Does suck though for everyone who's had discounts, especially those that were grandfathered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6