Phantom data usage poll--AT&T

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Carrier
Usage (even if its not much 1-2 gigs)

I have it and im on AT&T, data was turned off for 24 hours yet still should I used 1 gig during that time. AT&T is of no help and claims its my phone, impossible as this is my 2nd 1520 and the issue remains.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: Phantom data usage poll--AT&T

I haven't had any issues with data on AT&T for the past 8 years (used Nokia Symbian, BlackBerry, Nokia Windows Phone during this time).

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I complained to at&t about phantom data usage for MONTHS after I got my Lumia 920. We would bump up to, and sometimes go over our 200mb data limit. I got fed up with it and finally switched to t-mobile. 2 months later, with no change in usage habits, and we are back to the 60-100mb we were using prior to our phone 'upgrade'

Complain to at&t....but it won't do you any good!

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I complained to at&t about phantom data usage for MONTHS after I got my Lumia 920. We would bump up to, and sometimes go over our 200mb data limit. I got fed up with it and finally switched to t-mobile. 2 months layer, with no change in usage habits, and we are back to the 60-100mb we were using prior to our phone 'upgrade'

Complain to at&t....but it won't do you any good!

trust me I know lol. Just trying to figure out if its an att thing exclusively. Been trying to get as much information as possible and doing experiments and documenting every. May get an attorney involved as I see it as a scam, sorry but there is no way in hell I can use 6 gigs in 5 days, 2 of witch were on WiFi

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Att has been sued once over this crap back in 2011, and a few searches brings up may complaints cross platform all att users. May data usage has tripled in 6months without any change in usage patterns.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
probably but WP has no way to show data usage on an app built in like android does.

Again, complained multiple times about this. there is also a post on at&t's support forum that i participated in. It's some shady business. I'd stay at home ALL weekend, and it would show one of our phones used 20MB at 2am...when the phone was connected to wifi all day, and sitting on a desk untouched. As a side note...with t-mobile, I use data, and it shows up on their website WITHIN MINUTES...not HOURS! so much easier to keep track of data usage...not that I really have to worry about it now...i've got 1GB high speed then it gets throttled!

unfortunately, I switched and THEN flashed my Lumia 920 to the dev rom to get data sense. But there was a month in between where i kept everything the same. My suggestion would be to see if you can find a dev rom for your phone (not sure which device you have) and install that so you can get data sense and monitor it yourself. See if your phone reports something different than AT&T does!! I was and still am convinced that at&t was adding extra data to my usage. that is the main reason i even started looking at t-mobile...and then saving $20/month on 3 lines was nice! :) (3 lines unltd talk/txt/data(1gb lte) for $92)

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have spoken to att so many times, my next step is corporate. Everyone I have talked to at att says they update data every 12-24 hours yet I can get overage alerts every hour, not only that but I got one saying I used 12 gigs then in 30 minutes one saying I used 11 only to go on the website and see I've used 10, I have sent them those emails and my screen shots all for them to say its my phone, then when I tell them its happened on 4 different phones they have no answer.
Even better up till 3 months ago my data wouldn't show crazy use till near the end of the cycle now its doing it randomly starting at the beginning and im not taking Mb here n there im talking gigs at a time to the point its saying I've used 2 gigs in the span of 3 hours, now how can it even show that if the system upgrades every 12-24 hours?? I have over 200 screen shots of the my att app showing this yet att says im using that much, 17 gigs in 15 days???? That's 330 hours 200 of those hours are on WiFi!!!!

I woke up today saying it used a gig over night on WiFi!!!!!!

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I noticed the same thing a few years ago on my AT&T iPhone. It would upload data all night while I was sawing wood, very strange. I looked into it at the time but didn't really get anywhere. I bookmarked this discussion on Apple's boards and it has since ballooned to 140 pages. Take a look if you're bored:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2450738?start=0&tstart=0

I haven't looked to see if my 1520 does the same, but I'm assuming it does.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have spoken to att so many times, my next step is corporate. Everyone I have talked to at att says they update data every 12-24 hours yet I can get overage alerts every hour, not only that but I got one saying I used 12 gigs then in 30 minutes one saying I used 11 only to go on the website and see I've used 10, I have sent them those emails and my screen shots all for them to say its my phone, then when I tell them its happened on 4 different phones they have no answer.
Even better up till 3 months ago my data wouldn't show crazy use till near the end of the cycle now its doing it randomly starting at the beginning and im not taking Mb here n there im talking gigs at a time to the point its saying I've used 2 gigs in the span of 3 hours, now how can it even show that if the system upgrades every 12-24 hours?? I have over 200 screen shots of the my att app showing this yet att says im using that much, 17 gigs in 15 days???? That's 330 hours 200 of those hours are on WiFi!!!!

I woke up today saying it used a gig over night on WiFi!!!!!!

I'm curious... What if you turn off your data AND Wi-Fi overnight? If you do that, you can check to see if there was any data consumed during that time. This just sounds really fishy and insane. I just got an AT&T branded unlocked HTC One and actually had a tiny bit of paranoia over this happening to me with it, although I'm running it on T-Mobile.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Been there done that, showed just shy of 500mb for the 8 hours it was off. Adding what I've seen the tests I've done, swapped Sims to my HTC and to my g2, everything I have read and researched leads me to believe its some kind of scam only affecting a small part of customers as to not raise suspension, and is tied to the line (SIM) as my next test im running right now is to kill service to my problem line and run 3 hours of Netflix on my other SIM and see what happens. As of right now im 99.9% convinced its a scam as I have cut my usage way down as far as music and video goes lower than what I was using 6 months ago when I would only use 5-6 gigs of data yet it shows im using more than ever combined with the emails I have showing different data usage (one showing 2 gig overage the next showing 3 gig overage and the next showing 1 gig overage) I believe there automated systems set up to scam had a glitch.

What is even more odd is the my att app updated and now no longer works.

Paranoia? No facts emails and screen shots dont lie. And the fact these fools tried to slip my deductible in my bill 3 months in a row. Att are some shady people. I do see myself getting an attorney involved real soon.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Really makes you wonder why AT&T crippled Data Sense, huh? That's just bad, but sadly, it doesn't surprise me.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
What's messed up is if they didn't get greedy I'd never had caught on, I've always wondered why my data usage was higher then my friends when I did less than them but is was only by a gig or two sometimes 3, but when I moved from a 5gig plan to the 10 gig and my first bill I got hit with 6gigs overage made me start digging deeper.

Just got done streaming 3 hours of HD video on my other SIM, waiting on the system to update and that will tell me if it goes by account or by SIM, next will be running 3hr HD on my friends line.

Its totally bull**** when my girlfriend can stream Netflix for her kid on the trips to Miami (4 1/2 hours one way) and never come close to using her 5gig cap, I fire up Netflix and there goes a gig just opening the Fing app.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
What's messed up is if they didn't get greedy I'd never had caught on, I've always wondered why my data usage was higher then my friends when I did less than them but is was only by a gig or two sometimes 3, but when I moved from a 5gig plan to the 10 gig and my first bill I got hit with 6gigs overage made me start digging deeper.

Just got done streaming 3 hours of HD video on my other SIM, waiting on the system to update and that will tell me if it goes by account or by SIM, next will be running 3hr HD on my friends line.

Its totally bull**** when my girlfriend can stream Netflix for her kid on the trips to Miami (4 1/2 hours one way) and never come close to using her 5gig cap, I fire up Netflix and there goes a gig just opening the Fing app.
per netflix website, check out streaming usage numbers. I think the miami story is off a little.....https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
So netflix is lying when they say 1 gb for standard def streaming and 3gb for HD streaming? From my experience 1 gb per hour on my ipad for espn is right on the money.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been battling this for a while, Netflix may not be lying but I believe the data reporting by carriers is inconsistent at best. Like I said my girlfriend never goes over her 5 gig cap, friends at work who stream a hell of a lot more video (Netflix YouTube) use a hell of a lot less than me. 5-7 gigs to my 17gigs. The fact that I've always for almost a year only used 5-7 gigs a month to going to 10-12 in the last 5 months to my last 2 bills of over 17 gigs a month WITHOUT changing my usage habits (actually using less last month then I have in years tells me there's some shady crap going on, the fact I can turn my phone off at night yet use 500mb it totally crap. The fact that 1 hour of HD video will hit my one line for 2+ gigs yet the same video on my other line will show less than a gig used no matter what phone, (all my phones are 1080p ips) the only difference is I swap my SIM card. Add to that att can send me an email saying im 3 gigs over only to get an email hours later saying im only 1 gig over. Att moves me to a 20 gig plan and within 13 days I've used 16 gigs???? That would be 32gigs in 30 days 15 gigs more that the month before.

How do I add pictures on the mobile sight?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6