SMS doesn't work when Wi-Fi calling enabled

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Sine we're using the dev release of 8.1, questions are better answered on their forum. I took the liberty of posting your question on their forum. I hope you don't mind and this was their reply:

Thread Title T-Mobile Lumia 925 SMS doesn't work when Wi-Fi calling enabled since 8.1 update
Started by: GigiBN

Reply:
WiFi calling and the SMS center number are things that are part of the mobile operator firmware, so those are things that are most likely to be addressed by Tmobile when they release the consumer update down the road. Some carrier-specific features like that might not be available on the developer preview since its the pre-release to manufacturer OS.
Regards,
Kevin J S

The Microsoft Developer Network

I hope this answer is helpful!

flacoman91_mndd

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I was able to fix mine by doing a hard reset and not restoring from a backup.
SMS wifi calling works fine on my lumia 925 now. I was trying to troubleshoot an issue with OneDrive, and this was a pleasant surprise that was fixed in that process.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's been like this on my Lumia 521 since way before 8.1, unfortunately. If I boot the phone and start WiFi Calling, SMS works for a little while and then it stops and just tells me there was an error when sending.

It wasn't always like that, the first few months it worked great, but sometime this fall this bug was introduced, so I had to stop using WiFi Calling. :(

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I changed the DNS server to Google 8 8 8 8 8 8 4 4) when my wifi calling was unstable. No longer getting the error but the lack of SMS appears to be a T-Mobile issue

elknimrod

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
This fix has worked for many people with the same issue, including me on my Lumia Icon on TMobile; turn off your Data connection and SMS will send. Try it and let us know.

Ed

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried and it doesn't work for me. The SMS Center number is still blank and there lies the rub. T-Mobile will not allow me to unlock the SIM card to edit the number so I'm stuck like this until they develop firmware for the final release

elknimrod

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't have SMS center number either, but mine is editable by finger selecting it. If you can edit it enter +12063130004. which is TMobiles center number.
I get to mine by going to Settings, swipe to the right, Messaging, select SMS center number.

edit: I just looked at the SMS center number again and found that with Data connection off it is visible, with Data connection on it is not. Hmmm...

Good Luck,

Ed

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My SMS center is greyed out. Off hand do you think it may be the SIM card itself? Strange how some have this issue and others do not

elknimrod

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
You can try the sim card in another phone, or go to a TMobile store and have it tested. The other thing that may help is Nokia Access Point app. Once you install it erase everything in the sim settings and APN etc. restart the phonw and the Access Point app will take all the settings from the sim card, that also worked for me. Then see if the SMS center number is editable.

Good Luck,

Ed

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I did try it in an android and my old HTC Windows phone. Starting to think that it's an issue with the SIM. I'll go to a store for more help. Thank you so much for all of your help 😊

GigiBN

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I did a little more research and I see that it is a T-Mobile firmware issue as Microsoft told me. I checked out T-Mobile's support website and see that the issue appears to be with the Lumia 925 and more specifically after the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade. I still may visit the store just to be on the safe side. I'm getting a replacement phone for a completely different issue and may not upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 just so I can keep that feature. Thanks again for your help.

elknimrod

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't upgrade either at this point, just wait for the official full release.

I did a little more experimenting and found that turning off Cortana helped too. SMS only needs a cell signal, but she won't send an SMS unless she has a data connection. Another bug.

Good Luck,

Ed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa