New $45 AT&T Go Plan at Walmart

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
"And if you happen to be wanting to buy your smartphone from Wal-Mart, GoPhone shoppers there will have the option of a $45 monthly 1GB plan."

AT&T GoPhone adding more data to smartphone plans | Windows Phone Central

This went into effect on April 25th so it is live. Has anyone tried to bring your own device and activate it using this plan? I'd love to move my AT&T Red 920 to that plan but am unsure as to how to do it. The article implies you have to buy a phone from Walmart, I am curious as to if I can simply buy a sim from Walmart and activate my 920 using that plan.

Has anyone tried to get on this plan using a "bring your own device"? If so how did you do it??

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think that is geared to you buying a phone, but I see no reason you can't just buy the cheapest phone there and swap sim card later.....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that is geared to you buying a phone, but I see no reason you can't just buy the cheapest phone there and swap sim card later.....

I'm pretty sure a person could do it this way, although I can't be 100% certain without trying. With an AT&T Lumia 920 it should work to just pop in a GoPhone SIM card & set the APN settings.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If you can get your 920 unlocked, just go Straight Talk from WalMart. AT&T sim, $45/mo for 2.5 gigs data. Been using it for 4 years on 3 different windows phones.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you can get your 920 unlocked, just go Straight Talk from WalMart. AT&T sim, $45/mo for 2.5 gigs data. Been using it for 4 years on 3 different windows phones.

As long as you use a Straight Talk SIM using AT&T service, you don't even need to unlock the 920. It'll work fine even if it's locked to AT&T.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've thought about Straight Talk before, but after my experiences with Net 10 I'd prefer to stay away from MVNO's. I considered the idea of buying a cheap 520 at Walmart if that is the only way to get their special plan, however of course I'd prefer to just spend $10 on a sim card IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

I'd like to hear from someone who went through the process and successfully got on that $45 1 Gig plan and how they did it. Is it only for phone purchases at Walmart where the clerk activates the phone? Can you buy a phone or sim there and activate it online at home and get the plan? So I'm really curious as to how it works.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've just noticed that AT&T has a new data tier up from their 300mb where I am now, to 1 gig for just another $5.00. That would put my bill at $50.00 for a gig as opposed to the $45.00 for the same with the Go Plan. That's probably close enough for me to not have to deal with moving to the Go Plan. Still wouldn't mind hearing about the process if someone does it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
AIO/Cricket is an AT&T subsidiary, not an MVNO, and offers $50 with 2.5 gigs and knocks off $5 for using auto-pay ($45). I've been with AIO since their beginning and it's great. Pop in the SIM on any locked AT&T phone and that's it. No messing around with APNs or any of that nonsense.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
AIO/Cricket is an AT&T subsidiary, not an MVNO, and offers $50 with 2.5 gigs and knocks off $5 for using auto-pay ($45). I've been with AIO since their beginning and it's great. Pop in the SIM on any locked AT&T phone and that's it. No messing around with APNs or any of that nonsense.

Yea, they were talking about Straight Talk before when I brought up MVNO's. That's not necessarily a bad idea, but at this point I actually don't need 2.5 gigs at all and I've heard suggestions that speed is capped at a lower rate on AIO. In the short term increasing my bill by $5 is perfect as I don't even use 300mb most of the time. Right now I've got six days left and I've only used 65gb. However that can easily change...

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Second this idea AIO/cricket had been great for me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea, they were talking about Straight Talk before when I brought up MVNO's. That's not necessarily a bad idea, but at this point I actually don't need 2.5 gigs at all and I've heard suggestions that speed is capped at a lower rate on AIO. In the short term increasing my bill by $5 is perfect as I don't even use 300mb most of the time. Right now I've got six days left and I've only used 65gb. However that can easily change...

The throttling is irrelevant in major metro areas due to the congestion. Here in Miami you're lucky to get 2 mbps, and that's at 2AM on a Tuesday. BTW, are you sure about that 65GB number?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh yea, my brain and I am sometimes not on speaking terms and it plays games with me. So after deep consideration my big toe has decided it must be 65mg. Thanks big toe!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea, my brain and I am sometimes not on speaking terms and it plays games with me. So after deep consideration my big toe has decided it must be 65mg. Thanks big toe!!

Before your big toe got involved at least you were on data-related terms. Now you're into medicine. It seems you're bent on tapping that "g" key.

I hope you realize I'm just bustin' your nuts. :grin:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

If you have three phones, you might want to check out Mobile Share. We have three phones and get unlimited talk, text and 10 GB of shared data for $145/mo. You can tether for free as well.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Before your big toe got involved at least you were on data-related terms. Now you're into medicine. It seems you're bent on tapping that "g" key.

I hope you realize I'm just bustin' your nuts. :grin:

Key or spot, I'm confused much of the time. But I'm a guy, and luckily on better terms in such cases and so don't need to send in the big toe.

Well, back to the task at hand. Now that you mention it, I ran Network speed test with my wi-fi off. I'm ten or so miles outside a mid-sized town, but in a rural area. I get LTE here, midrange bars. Reading the results shows 23.05mbps down, 1.27mbps up. That sounds speedy to me, but as you can tell I don't do much downloading over data, just primarily over wi-fi. In the super short term switching to anything other than that $5.00 more a month plan from AT&T is hypothetical given I haven't paid off my 920 on the Next plan yet. Mostly I was looking around for if I got a job either here, or in another city I might want to bump up my data usage.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If you have three phones, you might want to check out Mobile Share. We have three phones and get unlimited talk, text and 10 GB of shared data for $145/mo. You can tether for free as well.

I have a feeling she's a serial monogamist and not into threesomes, thank you very much...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon