Why does At&t hate Wp8?

bbpohlmann

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a bigger issue with reps, but I think the lack of respect for other platforms comes from the carrier first, then trickles down to the reps. The carrier (tmobile in particular) doesn't have the same displays as the other OS. They refuse to push updates to some WP phones even though the manufacturer released them. So reps tell customers that if they get an Android it'll be updated regularly, but what they aren't saying is that the carrier chooses which phones to update or not update.

I'll take this in two parts. Second part first though.

In regards to the updates, the carriers themselves claim that the need to "insure" that there will be neither technical nor experience issues with their specific networks. This is, of course, bunk!

They do not like the fact that WP users can delete the bloat ware that pretty much every other phone contains. You don't what Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile garbage put on your WP? Delete it. Try that with an Android phone.

Even iPhones come preloaded with IOS goodies that most people would rather do without and, instead, use the more feature packed third party apps.

All this, along with other factors too long to mention, insures that WP will be the new Blackberry when it comes to pushing brands towards customers.

Now the first part. The training may steer sales reps away from WP to other brands, but I stand by my earlier comment. Just like cars, tools, appliances and etc. the reps themselves will allow their bias to direct how they present brands to customers.

I experienced this when I too upgraded to the Lumia 1520. I was met with the usual stonewalling and misdirection in the attempt to steer me to either Android or iOS. The rep I dealt with seemed dismayed that I would chose what he "thought" was a mistake. In the end I had done my research and I knew what I wanted.

I think all us who had similar experiences understand that, like die hard Berry users, we have an uphill battle to contend with. Every month the experience improves and, little by little, developers are seeing the demand from WP users grow. Sooner or later a critical mass will occur that will hopefully put WP on par with all other brands on the market.

bbeaupre

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

Same thing in Montreal, I went to Rogers to buy a Nokia Lumia 1020, they tried to sell me Android or Apple product, they told me that the Windows Phone were not as good as the other brand name.

But, I stood up to them since I really wanted the 1020 and nothing else, I used to have iPhone and Android device and I can say that I really like my Nokia Lumia 1020, one of the best phone I ever own until today!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think a big part two is bonus programs the reps get for certain phones. When I went in last time I was looking at the galaxy s5 and Nokia 920 and the sales rep kept pushing the LG again and again. I had no interest and he was trying tonpkay the body with the insider knowledge. When I got home I was telling a friend about it and he told me of the promotion for reps at that time to sell the LG model was an extra $50. Made more sence.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Good thing in indonesia the shopkepper usually ask what kind of phone first before giving recomendation. When i brought my Lumia 625 the shopkepper who help me even wearing samsung T-Shirt. He doesn't even bother to force me brought his brand. The best thing so far all device I ever brought all unlocked one. Well amost device in my country all unlocked trough :D

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll take this in two parts. Second part first though.

In regards to the updates, the carriers themselves claim that the need to "insure" that there will be neither technical nor experience issues with their specific networks. This is, of course, bunk!

They do not like the fact that WP users can delete the bloat ware that pretty much every other phone contains. You don't what Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile garbage put on your WP? Delete it. Try that with an Android phone.

Even iPhones come preloaded with IOS goodies that most people would rather do without and, instead, use the more feature packed third party apps.

All this, along with other factors too long to mention, insures that WP will be the new Blackberry when it comes to pushing brands towards customers.

Now the first part. The training may steer sales reps away from WP to other brands, but I stand by my earlier comment. Just like cars, tools, appliances and etc. the reps themselves will allow their bias to direct how they present brands to customers.

I experienced this when I too upgraded to the Lumia 1520. I was met with the usual stonewalling and misdirection in the attempt to steer me to either Android or iOS. The rep I dealt with seemed dismayed that I would chose what he "thought" was a mistake. In the end I had done my research and I knew what I wanted.

I think all us who had similar experiences understand that, like die hard Berry users, we have an uphill battle to contend with. Every month the experience improves and, little by little, developers are seeing the demand from WP users grow. Sooner or later a critical mass will occur that will hopefully put WP on par with all other brands on the market.
You know, I never thought about the bloatware... I bet carriers are angry that we can delete it with the push of a button! I forgot to mention that there was one guy in one of the T-Mobile stores that the other reps called "the Windows guy" because apparently he was the only rep that had a WP. When I went in to ask questions, all the reps told me to come back when"the Windows guy" was there, cuz apparently no one knew enough about the OS to answer my basic questions...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am in the happy minority, but the Champaign IL AT&T shop I frequent has not just one but 2 working displays of WPs including the hardly-known ATIV S Neo. The sales clerks are happy to talk WP. They contrast the choices and differences between the OS's well, even if here is a tad bias to Android.

Overall, they want the sale, not a particular OS sale. I had a similar experience in St. Louis, just open minded happy to answer questions on WP sales people.

I am making it a point to hit the Verizon store soon, hopefully to contrast the Icon and the ATIV SE. I hope I have the same report card to hand out.

praveen9663

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm from INDIA & i want to share similar experience, Here it is "Samsung mania" once, i went to showroom,the Rep. demonstrate Samsung,Htc,Micromax Androids to other customer by telling Negatives for Lumia & also he successfully sold "Samsung Galaxy Grand"...Once he comes to me i straight away bought "Lumia 625"...The guy who bought Grand started to shout with Rep,because he saw easy,simple & Fluid operations on my handset but store Rep. refuse take back grand so he out with Grand only....Overall looks like Even Users interested in Lumia(In general WP) the Store Rep. never bothered & they simply selling Android's by highlighting apps....So, Nokia & Microsoft need to take steps for Promoting Product in better way....

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that Microsoft should tell ATT and any other carriers if instances like this is going to continue, they wont take it lightly.

Microsoft has enough money to open stores and kiosk in malls all over the world to sell their own products and can do so without any of ATT bloat preinstalled they can also offer any plans available so they can turn the page against any carrier exclusivity and offer better pricing as well. That way with a properly executed add campaign can draw both old and young to them.

Mac

1. If MS tells them that, the carriers will say 'okay, cool, we'll just stop carrying WPs then". MS has no leverage on them in the consumer market. This is because for most people, a WP handset is not something they want. People want whatever Apple's just put out or whatever Samsung is marketing at that time. No loss to the carriers if they stop carrying WP - in fact a case could be made that they will actually profit from such a move.

2. Again, the carriers have the power here. Most people in the USA at least "buy" their phones from carriers at a subsidised price. Hardly anyone even knows what an "unlocked" phone is.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
FYI, Last time I went back home to see my parents, we went to the Verizon store to get icon's. They had just returned their galaxy note 3's. The guys at the Verizon store talked to us like we were stupid. They told us that they would return the icons the next day. They said over 90% of people who buy windows phones return them. They tried to push android crap to my parents. I had already convinced my dad and mom that wp was cool, so they didn't listen. They were pretty much refusing to sell the Icons so my dad was said "if you're not going to sell us the icon's then we're going to leave". The Verizon store employees (2 of them) just stared at us like idiots, so we just left and went home to buy the phones online through Verizon. And all that was after having to wait our line at the Verizon store for an HOUR. And that whole thing was a few months back. Unlike what the Verizon employees said, my parents did not return the icon's. INFACT, THEY LOVE THE PHONES.

Maybe the sales folk were telling the truth, and trying to prevent your dissatisfaction ?

Doesn't matter if it is phones, cars, planes, or doughnuts... A good salesperson will give their experiences to the customer.

Or maybe its a conspiracy. I'm not sure.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
But when I was in the store, 3 WP devices was sold. One to a old lady who couldn't be talked out of it. She got mad at the sales person and swung her purse at the kid. The manager came in and sent the kid home. She pulled a 1020 out of her pocket to show granny how out worked. Then sold her one right then and there.

man, that's badass!

Michael Brooks5

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Where I live in the UK, I bought a Lumia 620 in Carphone Warehouse and they all seemed to love the fact I was upgrading to a WP. I also recently went into O2 to upgrade my fiance to a lovely Lumia 925 and received very similar feedback for the love of all things WP. There has been nothing but praise from sales reps in the UK when it comes to WP. :)

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I originally approached Carphone Warehouse in the UK when enquiring about a Lumia 920 as well, and they had no quarrels at all. Nor did any shop I asked in fact. =)

Microsoft should just jump ship and move to Europe lol

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As a new windows phone owner. Coming from iPhone I think windows phone OS is so much better than the IOS I was used to using but also it is one of the most unpolished non intuitive OS ever. If windows phone made things simpler and merged something's together. If it refined the small things it could really catch on. Hopefully owning Nokia will make the hardware work even tighter with the software.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The sales rep at at&t also tried to talk me out of getting it too. But that's what happens you have constant dissatisfied customers who keep bringing their phones back.

Last edited:

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I remember when I bought my HTC trophy years ago online. Well, when I went in the store, I saw a promo for halo xxx 360 game. I asked why i didn't get my copy and the woman didn't even know what phone I was talking about, when she finally realized what I was getting at, she says-"uh uh, ain't no game comes wit dat fone"..mind you this was a few years ago, but it hasn't changed much at my Verizon store.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I bought my phone from Verizon online, through a Xfinity/Verizon promotion. I wanted to keep my old number but the sales rep on the phone messed it up and I was given a temporary phone number. Going into the Verizon store to get my old number, I witnessed about five people asking about the Windows Phone. The sales rep said, "Wow, do you know any of those people? Is it just coincidence you walked in and a few others asking about a Windows Phone?"

Unfortunately, all of their WP models were in the back. At this time, the Icon was the phone that just came out for Verizon and of course, the sales rep moved their attention to Android and to the iPhone. I should of asked if that wanted to use my phone as the model. :eek:rly:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the general consensus is that WP get returned a lot so therefore the carriers try to steer customers away from them. It's a preventive procedure.

When I bought my LIcon at Verizon the sales person proceeded to try and sell me a L2250 tablet.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I was in an AT&T store this past Saturday to replace my fianc?'s 920 (she finally broke the screen after Lord knows how many times she dropped my beloved hand-me-down) and while waiting for our turn I overheard a rep telling a customer who was looking at a 1520 "no, it's not upgradeable and is at end of life". I stood up, pulled my phone out of my pocket and said "Excuse me, but I have the 1520 and I just updated to the latest version of the OS and it's not even near end of life, unlike an iPhone which seems to never be able to upgrade the OS without you having to sacrifice something on an older phone. I'm not sure where you're getting your information." The customer took the phone out of my hand, looked it over and told the rep he'd like to see one, thanked me and walked to a table. I sat back down and my fianc? patted me on the leg in a "there, there" kind of way. I was hot about the whole thing. Anyway, we sat for about 15 more minutes waiting and I kept watching the customer speak to the rep and the rep would kind of toss his hands up in the air when asked a question, the customer would then walk over to me and ask simple things like "Will this phone sync with my Outlook?" He did this three times before we were finished and had to leave (full disclosure, we had to leave because the AT&T store in Sanford, FL didn't have any WP phones other than a couple 1520's and we were there for a 925).

We went to the MS store in Orlando and had a nice chat with a rep there who laughed at my story and told me his good friend at the local AT&T store outside the mall was paid extra for pushing iPhone's. Due to MS not being able to help with the Next program he sent us over to that store to do the upgrade and it was a very good experience.

As with anything, the consumer should be armed with information to avoid being sold on something they do not necessarily want or need. Information is power.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You know, it really depends on what store you happen to walk into. One of my local T-Mobile stores was showcasing the 925 shortly after its release and I was considering getting it back then. The rep didn't really try to steer me away from WP except when I expressed slight disappointment that the 925 only had 16GB with no micro SD support. The Verizon store I visited to see the Icon a few weeks ago was pretty good too. I asked a rep about the phone and he took me right to it and didn't start up about the iPhone or Android.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the general consensus is that WP get returned a lot so therefore the carriers try to steer customers away from them. It's a preventive procedure.

When I bought my LIcon at Verizon the sales person proceeded to try and sell me a L2250 tablet.

While that makes sense, it also reflects on the salespeople being pretty poor in the first place, if they're pushing phones without listening to what their customers actually want...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa