Why does At&t hate Wp8?

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The main issue continues to be that some store salepeople do not the get same commission on all phones so they will push the ones that gets them $ for every sale. That has more of an impact than what device they actually use on a daily basis. Microsoft needs to ensure that all WP devices pay out the same commission or more for every device sold. Also they need training on the phones. A hard reset is not needed to fix every WP issue. I was told to hard reset my phone on multiple occasions by VZW support. I did not do it but was able to resolve the issues on my own.

The lack of apps comment from salespeople always irritates me. Yes there are 700,000 apps for Apple and Android but they have been around for 6 years. Windows Phone app store is still growing faster with over 120,000 apps after being around for 3 years.

With better training on WP and commission changes that should help change the apparent hate for WP on all US carriers

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, the problem is that the AT&T guy is pretty much right. It's harder to get help when something goes wrong because I don't trust the AT&T people to have been properly trained with WP. When I got my 920, the guy said (half-jokingly, though he was right) I probably knew more than him about it. There really is an app problem still as well, and my sister (who has had an 822 since late-2012) has complained about things like official Snapchat and Pinterest of late.

Yes, the general public is easy to steer elsewhere, but part of that is because the things salespeople mention are factual.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The main issue continues to be that some store salepeople do not the get same commission on all phones so they will push the ones that gets them $ for every sale. That has more of an impact than what device they actually use on a daily basis. Microsoft needs to ensure that all WP devices pay out the same commission or more for every device sold. Also they need training on the phones. A hard reset is not needed to fix every WP issue. I was told to hard reset my phone on multiple occasions by VZW support. I did not do it but was able to resolve the issues on my own.

The lack of apps comment from salespeople always irritates me. Yes there are 700,000 apps for Apple and Android but they have been around for 6 years. Windows Phone app store is still growing faster with over 120,000 apps after being around for 3 years.

With better training on WP and commission changes that should help change the apparent hate for WP on all US carriers
definitely a money issue! Att is commission sales not hourly! That said IOS and android pay out more! It becomes worse when the salesman has other mouths to feed! Then your forced to do what's best for you and your family. Regardless of how much you love WP and selling WP. I love my WP but if IOS and androids are paying the bills........thats probably what ill sell most of.....sorry!

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
FYI, Last time I went back home to see my parents, we went to the Verizon store to get icon's. They had just returned their galaxy note 3's. The guys at the Verizon store talked to us like we were stupid. They told us that they would return the icons the next day. They said over 90% of people who buy windows phones return them. They tried to push android crap to my parents. I had already convinced my dad and mom that wp was cool, so they didn't listen. They were pretty much refusing to sell the Icons so my dad was said "if you're not going to sell us the icon's then we're going to leave". The Verizon store employees (2 of them) just stared at us like idiots, so we just left and went home to buy the phones online through Verizon. And all that was after having to wait our line at the Verizon store for an HOUR. And that whole thing was a few months back. Unlike what the Verizon employees said, my parents did not return the icon's. INFACT, THEY LOVE THE PHONES.

You know they are telling bs with that 90% number. Next time someone say that just tell them this, " Windows phone has around 4-5% marketshare in the U.S, if 90% of people who bought Windows Phone returned them, then this 4-5% is only about 10% of people who bought Windows Phone initially. Now, iphone has about 40% share in the U.S, about 10 times that of Windows Phone market share, are you telling me that there are the same amount of people buying Windows Phone as there are buying iphones everyday? And that the only problem is that people are returning these phones due to some lack of apps?"

Hopefully this make them realize how stupid that claim is, although I'm not sure those sales rep understand basic math...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
1. If MS tells them that, the carriers will say 'okay, cool, we'll just stop carrying WPs then". MS has no leverage on them in the consumer market. This is because for most people, a WP handset is not something they want. People want whatever Apple's just put out or whatever Samsung is marketing at that time. No loss to the carriers if they stop carrying WP - in fact a case could be made that they will actually profit from such a move.

2. Again, the carriers have the power here. Most people in the USA at least "buy" their phones from carriers at a subsidised price. Hardly anyone even knows what an "unlocked" phone is.

Don't generalize...I have been with TMO since 2004 and have not owned a subsidized phone since 2005.....

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I understand my experience is one in the minority, but I actually had a salesperson at ATT in 2010 tell me he would buy the "new" Windows Phone if he had a choice. I had come in to buy an iPhone and walked out with a Samsung Focus. When I bought my 920 in 2012, I encountered no flack but it was on launch date. The following year I went in to check out the 1020 a couple weeks after launch and one of the reps proceeded to take his personal 1020 out of his coat pocket and showed me all of the awesome photos he had taken at his neice's wedding. YMMV.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the sales folk were telling the truth, and trying to prevent your dissatisfaction ?

Doesn't matter if it is phones, cars, planes, or doughnuts... A good salesperson will give their experiences to the customer.

Or maybe its a conspiracy. I'm not sure.

That is one of the stupidest things I've heard this year. They weren't telling the truth and it's not a conspiracy. It's the fact that most of these store workers are mindless drones for apple or android.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
No, the problem is that the AT&T guy is pretty much right. It's harder to get help when something goes wrong because I don't trust the AT&T people to have been properly trained with WP. When I got my 920, the guy said (half-jokingly, though he was right) I probably knew more than him about it. There really is an app problem still as well, and my sister (who has had an 822 since late-2012) has complained about things like official Snapchat and Pinterest of late.

Yes, the general public is easy to steer elsewhere, but part of that is because the things salespeople mention are factual.

Again, that just reeks of laziness and incompetence from the salespeople if they don't know their own product.

nyjets12

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I got a 521 and I'm gonna get 1520 green, where else can you get the 3 stooges & looney tunes app at,. why everyone loves apple with no sd slot I don't know. I got a ipad ( a big iphone) I don't see a major difference. I luv my windows phone even if cortana won't marry me because it's not in the cards yet but siri won't either.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest problem is that sales people do not want to look STUPID. They are going to tryand sell you what they use and what they know so they don't look DUMB trying you sell you something they don't know anything about. With the small market share WP8 has most sales reps do not own one so they don't push them. All four of the WP8 phones me and my wife own I bought from online and only brought them to AT&T to activate them. Until WP8 gets more popular it is a problem I do not see going away. I think 10% will do it, a ways to go. I don't think AT&T is any different from the others.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest problem is that sales people do not want to look STUPID. They are going to tryand sell you what they use and what they know so they don't look DUMB trying you sell you something they don't know anything about. With the small market share WP8 has most sales reps do not own one so they don't push them. All four of the WP8 phones me and my wife own I bought from online and only brought them to AT&T to activate them. Until WP8 gets more popular it is a problem I do not see going away. I think 10% will do it, a ways to go. I don't think AT&T is any different from the others.
Totally agree here in USA WP not getting any better,maybe in italy but not here in us. I wonder what is Ms strategy here in America....cause its not working....insanity!

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
In Charleston, WV when I went to buy my 920 last year in April 2013, no one at the AT&T store knew one single thing about them. I knew more about the 920 having never used one and only being informed from online research, how sad.

Even worse than that our local Best Buy store was even worse, at that time they had a display and only one person had any knowledge of Windows phones and it was acquired during the WP7 period, he advised I say away from any WP's, said it would constantly hang and lockup plus never work properly.

Now its even worse at the Charleston, WV Best Buy they keep Windows Phones and all their Nokia's in the back storeroom they do not even display them.

I was thinking about getting a 1520 a few months ago and after checking online they showed them in stock so I went to the store going to check one out and the salesman said they did not have any windows phones or Nokia's in stock and I told him the website show the 1520 plus the 1020 in stock so he checked his inventory they had Nokia phones and other window phones in stock that they just do not display them anymore, what a crock.

So that's why I purchased the 920 online last year and really have had not had any problems accept for the sometimes spastic unexplainable sudden battery drain, other than that I would recommend WP 8 to anyone I have had zero lockups, and everything works fast and smooth.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's so true that most reps don't know WP at all. I'll never forget how I was the one who answered a customer's questions at an AT&T store back in November 2012 when I was there checking out the 920 and 820. He was asking the rep helping him about this and that and she simply couldn't answer... So I did. He ended up deciding to buy an 820 and then even came back to me to ask another question about the phone. I felt good about myself, but at the same time, I couldn't help thinking how sad it was that a rep couldn't answer his questions.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
In Charleston, WV when I went to buy my 920 last year in April 2013, no one at the AT&T store knew one single thing about them. I knew more about the 920 having never used one and only being informed from online research, how sad.

Even worse than that our local Best Buy store was even worse, at that time they had a display and only one person had any knowledge of Windows phones and it was acquired during the WP7 period, he advised I say away from any WP's, said it would constantly hang and lockup plus never work properly.

Now its even worse at the Charleston, WV Best Buy they keep Windows Phones and all their Nokia's in the back storeroom they do not even display them.

I was thinking about getting a 1520 a few months ago and after checking online they showed them in stock so I went to the store going to check one out and the salesman said they did not have any windows phones or Nokia's in stock and I told him the website show the 1520 plus the 1020 in stock so he checked his inventory they had Nokia phones and other window phones in stock that they just do not display them anymore, what a crock.

So that's why I purchased the 920 online last year and really have had not had any problems accept for the sometimes spastic unexplainable sudden battery drain, other than that I would recommend WP 8 to anyone I have had zero lockups, and everything works fast and smooth.

The Best Buys in northern WV (Morgantown) are just as bad. Our local AT&T at least has a pretty good WP display and the good clerks (as in, the ones who know what they talking about, as in, some would get questions about iPhones wrong too) were always super nice about WP.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
He was asking the rep helping him about this and that and she simply couldn't answer... So I did. He ended up deciding to buy an 820 and then even came back to me to ask another question about the phone. I felt good about myself, but at the same time, I couldn't help thinking how sad it was that a rep couldn't answer his questions.

Yeah...i would have told the rep, either you give me half of your commission check or im telling your manager that I had to sell the phone for you...but then again, the way most carriers act nowadays, the manager probably wouldn't care because its a WP. Now, if they failed to mention that the newer I phones have faster charging, they'll probably get fired! LOL! Seriously though, I've heard this for years, 1st with BlackBerry, then WP...when are these companies going to give us commission? We've always sold their phones to customers who normally wouldn't have bought one otherwise. (For the record, it doesn't have to be a commission check...it could be a phone case, charging pad, or even a phone! )

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Its the Sam with sales everywhere. Go into a camera shop looking for a nice slr and they will always push you towards a Nikon even if you are there for a canon. They will give you advice on how its better or "personal" horror stories about canon. In reality they get higher commissions off Nikon and Nikon feeds them with bonus programs and free software for the shop to use to run the store. Never trust a salesman they are out for the commosion. If they are rude they are a poor salesmen. If they seem genuine they are just more skilled and realize I builds trust with who they are trying to sell.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Everybody hates the WP.
Why try to sell what peeple don't want?

I have had a very bad consumer experience with AT&T so I will immediately dismiss them on all levels.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Its the Sam with sales everywhere. Go into a camera shop looking for a nice slr and they will always push you towards a Nikon even if you are there for a canon. They will give you advice on how its better or "personal" horror stories about canon. In reality they get higher commissions off Nikon and Nikon feeds them with bonus programs and free software for the shop to use to run the store. Never trust a salesman they are out for the commosion. If they are rude they are a poor salesmen. If they seem genuine they are just more skilled and realize I builds trust with who they are trying to sell.
The funny thing is, I use to be HUGE on canon. I still like and use my DSLR, but odds are if i'm taking a photo, it's with my Windows Phone.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Peeple
That's the way I spell it out of boredom with the english text dialogue.

AT&T can be very uncaring to customers...
As with any corporate entity.
Sorry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05