AT&T unfriends Qi charging: What do I do?

jackypaper

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I love the wireless charging aspect of my adored Lumia 920. Eventually I'll update to whatever hardware is current when I'm eligible in November, but if AT&T is nerfing Qi charging on their Lumias, then what options do I have? (a) Stick with my current phone. (b) Switch carriers.

This sucks. PMA wireless charging is lame in comparison. I don't want to put some silly sleeve on my phone just so it can charge. PMA is the Betamax of these wireless wars.

I guess my last hope lies with Apple (ironic, yes): If the next iPhone uses Qi, it will force AT&T to adapt. But knowing Apple, they'll cook up their own proprietary wireless charging, only exacerbating the problem.

Alas!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is going to sell what it wants and they have invested in a technology that hope to get a ROI for. aka PMA. Switching carriers is your option especially if your other choices have a network you can use.

You have to use a sleeve? You mean on phones like the Lumia 920?

infinitelurker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way, I currently have the 920 and don't like what AT&T is doing to the Nokia devices like the 1520.

Here is what I did. I ordered the Lumia 1520.3 variant that includes the full 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging. Does it cost a lot? Yes. However, I can (hopefully) alter my plan at AT&T to stop paying the extra subsidy fees which spread that phone cost across your monthly payments but keep you beholden to the carrier. If I can't lower my cost, I can hop to T-Mobile and use the same phone. I thought about waiting and hoping that the next Windows Phone flagship model on AT&T will be awesome, but I'm sure AT&T will nuke it again. If not, I can always upgrade to it and be stuck with them again for the contract period.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way, I currently have the 920 and don't like what AT&T is doing to the Nokia devices like the 1520.

Here is what I did. I ordered the Lumia 1520.3 variant that includes the full 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging. Does it cost a lot? Yes. However, I can (hopefully) alter my plan at AT&T to stop paying the extra subsidy fees which spread that phone cost across your monthly payments but keep you beholden to the carrier. If I can't lower my cost, I can hop to T-Mobile and use the same phone. I thought about waiting and hoping that the next Windows Phone flagship model on AT&T will be awesome, but I'm sure AT&T will nuke it again. If not, I can always upgrade to it and be stuck with them again for the contract period.

If you do leave AT&T, look at their cheaper alternative, Cricket. Same coverage, cheap service (only $35/month for me with 500MB of 4g)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This sucks. PMA wireless charging is lame in comparison. I don't want to put some silly sleeve on my phone just so it can charge. PMA is the Betamax of these wireless wars.

Do you have any actual proof to back this statement up? There is nothing in the PMA specifications that requires a "silly sleeve." I think you should check your facts before making bombastic false statements.

I guess my last hope lies with Apple (ironic, yes): If the next iPhone uses Qi, it will force AT&T to adapt.

There are two things I would like to know. The first is why you think Qi is any better or worse than PMA and what on earth makes you think Apple of all people has ever even considered using Qi.

I have asked the first question several times on this forum over the course of months and no one has been able to accurately tell me the difference between Qi and PMA nor have they been able to tell me objectively which one is better from a tech point of view.

If I can't lower my cost, I can hop to T-Mobile and use the same phone. I thought about waiting and hoping that the next Windows Phone flagship model on AT&T will be awesome, but I'm sure AT&T will nuke it again.

This is based on what? at&t removed one feature in one phone which came out in a transitional period. What makes you think they will still be in a transitional period a year from now? Qi and PMA are still very rare in flagship phones. Anything could happen in a year.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Qi is rare in flagship phones? Lol ok.

Its actually used in products, where I feel PMA has only put out a couple cases.

Nexus 4/5? Qi.
Samsung Galaxy addons? (e.g. S4 back cover) Qi.
Nokia's lineup? Qi.
LG Spectrum 2? Qi.
HTC 8X? Droid DNA? Qi.

PMA?
Duracell Powermat accessories

Neither of those are exhaustive

I could be wrong, but I dont think I've heard of a phone with PMA baked in yet.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried one of these universal Qi receivers for their phone?
Amazon.com: DigiYes? Widespread Ultra Slim Micro USB Wireless Charging Receiver Module compatible with most phone with micro USB interface(Narrow side upwards, wide side downwards): Cell Phones & Accessories

I would love to be able to add this to my wife's 925, under her Incipio Feather case. I have a Nokia Charging shell on mine, and would also add one to hers, but she doesn't care for the finish or color of them.

I thought someone asked earlier about that and using it on their 8X. Might want to look for that thread, don't know if they did it though.

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any actual proof to back this statement up? There is nothing in the PMA specifications that requires a "silly sleeve." I think you should check your facts before making bombastic false statements.

There are two things I would like to know. The first is why you think Qi is any better or worse than PMA and what on earth makes you think Apple of all people has ever even considered using Qi.

I have asked the first question several times on this forum over the course of months and no one has been able to accurately tell me the difference between Qi and PMA nor have they been able to tell me objectively which one is better from a tech point of view.

This is based on what? at&t removed one feature in one phone which came out in a transitional period. What makes you think they will still be in a transitional period a year from now? Qi and PMA are still very rare in flagship phones. Anything could happen in a year.

what feature did they remove in the 1520?

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh ok..wow that sucks. Noy going to miss the Qi since I have yet to. Get into it but why half the on board RAM?
Sent from my lumia 520 using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok..wow that sucks. Noy going to miss the Qi since I have yet to. Get into it but why half the on board RAM?
Sent from my lumia 520 using Tapatalk

they halved the onboard storage memory not the RAM. (32 -> 16 GB)
(picture saying "why? for the glory of Satan of course!" might go here)

But actually, I don't think we know for sure. Probably some concession extracted from Nokia to carry it. But why? I guess moneys a safe bet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb