US: What carriers block what when tethering?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I have AT&T and sad to say that I am unable to use Cisco AnyConnect via tethering, the ports are blocked. AT&T blocks these same ports on their U-Verse service as well, but not their DSL service oddly enough. My company had to change to Brighthouse from U-Verse because AT&T wouldn't even admit let alone open the ports for us. Same issue when I called them about my cell account, they said they cannot make port exceptions.

I'm out of contract and needing a wireless carrier in the US that does NOT block anything.

Thanks,

Alex

Col Panic

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Are you the IT guy ?

In response to a recently announced vulnerability attributed to computers running certain Microsoft Operating Systems, SBC Internet Services has blocked TCP ports 135, 139, 445 and 1025 for all basic dynamic subscribers nation wide. (These ports are no longer being blocked for static subscribers.) These ports are known to be used by worms and viruses to spread to other computers through the Internet. Blocking these ports may affect your ability to use:

* Microsoft Outlook to access a Microsoft Exchange server over the Internet
* File sharing over the Internet
* Print sharing over the Internet

This action should not affect the vast majority of our members, and does not affect using Microsoft Outlook or other email programs over a local area network.

The block is scheduled to begin on Thursday, April 29, 2004. Beginning at that time, you may notice that you are unable to continue the above activities over the Internet. Other uses of your Internet Access service will not be affected.

Last edited:

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm the IT manager yeah.

Thanks for the info but we don't use SBC and because we are a business we have static IPs so that doesn't affect us anyway.

Alex

Col Panic

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If you change port to 444 or 60444 it will work while tethering. If asked just tell everyone its a security thing

Last edited:

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
If you change port to 444 it will work while tethering. If asked just tell everyone its a security thing

Unfortunately I do not see any option in the Cisco AnyConnect client to do this. Perhaps I can make a forwarding rule in the laptops software firewall to forwar the port it is trying to use to 444 but then I presume I would need to configure our gateway at the location we are remoting into to use this port as well correct?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
So what is the back story? did it used to work and the port just got blocked or is it new

I'm not sure what sort of back story you wish or how detailed and I fail to see what difference it makes anyway. I included the facts in my first post.

AT&T blocks the ports Cisco AnyConnect requires via handset tethering and will not admit to it or unblock them. They also block it on their U-Verse business land-line internet service. It has been this way for the 3 years since I discovered they do. Now I'm out of contract and wish to change to a wireless carrier who isn't a bloody NAZI like AT&T, hence my original post. I have already changed land-line internet provider and am very happy now in that regard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb