Verizon Visual Voicemail SCAM

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at bringing 20 lines over to Verizon and was planning to get the Lumia Icon. The quotes from Verizon were acceptable and we were ready to sign the deal. Then I asked about Visual Voice mail and found out Verizon charges 3 dollars a month. That would be an extra $720 per year that wasn't on the quotes. After looking into this further, it appears they take away the Visual Voicemail app that's built into Windows Phone and then charge users $3 per month to get it back. Imagine if Dell removed some feature of Windows and then charged money to get it back. I also found out that iphone users don't get charged for this. Seems unfair, bad business practice, and awful policy. We should report this on the better business bureau. Why are Windows users treated unfair?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just checked here, and there is no exception made for iPhone users. Everyone pays $2.99/month.

I believe it has always been that way. AT&T has always offered Visual Voicemail free for all users. I've had it with AT&T when I used BlackBerry and now with Windows Phone, and I've never had to pay for it.

prowade

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have also heard that the VoiceMail app that they give you for that 2.99/month is actually a crappy substitute for the built in version.

KeithL777

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually there is no charge for iphone users, i think its something Apple demanded. I have a lumia icon and my wife has iphone 5s, on her line there is no charge for visual voicemail

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just checked here, and there is no exception made for iPhone users. Everyone pays $2.99/month.

I believe it has always been that way. AT&T has always offered Visual Voicemail free for all users. I've had it with AT&T when I used BlackBerry and now with Windows Phone, and I've never had to pay for it.

I'm on ATT and have VV free of charge, also. I think they figured that if I have to call in to listen, I'll be using the same bandwidth as if they pushed it to my phone and meanwhile, they don't have to provide storage. Win-Win. Rare.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually there is no charge for iphone users, i think its something Apple demanded. I have a lumia icon and my wife has iphone 5s, on her line there is no charge for visual voicemail

Exactly, it's such a scam. I'm outraged.

Last edited:

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Found out that Verizon makes basic visual voicemail free to android users. They then offer an advanced version for $2.99 which converts VM to text. Apple has their own voicemail servers and doesn't use the carriers at all so that could be why it's always been free for them. The Visual Voicemail Verizon provides to WP is basic yet they charge $2.99 so it looks like Verizon treats Windows Phone users as 2nd class citizens.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I remembered when I had an iPhone a couple of years ago and noticed visual vm was there for free and as it was nice and all I still wonder what is wrong with using the voicemail that you call?

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Sort of off topic. I noticed in Wp8.1 there is a sort of visual voicemail built in. It is not a TMobile app. Is this standard on 8.1?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Sort of off topic. I noticed in Wp8.1 there is a sort of visual voicemail built in. It is not a TMobile app. Is this standard on 8.1?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Visual voicemail is built into wp8 and 8.1 phone. I've used it on t-mobile and att for free. Verizon disables it then charges you 2.99 to get it back yet they give it to Android and iPhone users free. That's why Verizon is scamming WP users in my opinion.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Visual voicemail is built into wp8 and 8.1 phone. I've used it on t-mobile and att for free. Verizon disables it then charges you 2.99 to get it back yet they give it to Android and iPhone users free. That's why Verizon is scamming WP users in my opinion.

Is it built directly into the phone app? Or as a separate app?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is the worst. They are down right criminal. But that being said, who leaves voicemail anymore? Even in business, if people can't reach me, they text or email.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

That's not correct, visual voicemail is free on iPhone and works fine when I put my SIM in my 5s compared to Icon

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Is it built directly into the phone app? Or as a separate app?

It's built into the phone app. You swipe over to voicemail from the call history screen. Verizon removes that feature and makes it a separate app which looks the same but doesn't function unless you pay.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
total BS. I am using Youmail now, I wish Verizon weren't such asses.

I wish everyone who had issues with Verizon would have the guts to just drop them and go elsewhere. I'm perfectly happy after leaving Verizon, it's been 2 years now and I'm glad I left! If enough people leave, perhaps they might change the way they do business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo