A quick feedback for those interested in this extreme value plan on T-Mobile.

I initially had a prepaid SIM card on T-Mobile network with an unlocked GSM phone.
    I then switched over to AT&T for a couple of months This was a poor decision.
    I kept the same phone number when I switched to AT&T.

Last month, I found out about the value plan from Walmart and T-Mo.
    I ordered a T-Mo prepaid SIM card for $10 on Amazon. The SIM card has to be purchased online or from Walmart (incl. physical locations). However, some people faced activation problems with SIM cards purchased from Walmart online because the SIM card had not been properly scanned. So I elected to buy it from T-Mobile via Amazon. As a side note, I couldn't find a way to order a "naked" SIM card from T-Mo website...

Received the SIM card, put it into my factory unlocked international Lumia 520. I used this phone IMEI to complete the activation process on the T-Mobile website (same activation as for any prepaid plan). The SIM card is a regular one as well.

Ordering your SIM card online and activating online gives you the opportunity to select the $30 plan with 5GB of LTE data, unlimited text and 100min voice with $0.10/min after that which is I believe the cheapest you can get with prepaid plans. Plus, I was able to keep my initial phone number. There's an option for it during the activation process. Website confirmed eligibility right away and it took 24 hours to complete.

With the plan in place, I got a used Lumia 925 locked on the T-Mobile network from CL. Inserted the SIM card in the 925 and was good to go!

Everything works fine of course.

You'll only need to spend $10 to figure out whether or not your phone IMEI will qualify as a new activation. Otherwise, activating the SIM card with a random cheap unlocked or T-Mo prepaid phone should work and allow to put the activated SIM card back into your favorite phone!

Wish this plan will stay for long on T-Mobile.
    Guytronic and mark233 like this.
    08-06-2014 02:21 AM
    I used to be on this plan. I believe I first activated it around September 2012 or so. It was perfect for me since I talk very little. However, T-Mobile service is too weak where I live and I had to drop it. I wish AT&T would have a similar plan; I'd be all over it!
    08-06-2014 03:01 AM
    Side note: If you go to a T-Mobile store they sometimes will just give you the SIM for free. Then go online to sign up, but... depending on who is behind the counter if you ask nicely they might do it for you (this how I did it).
    08-06-2014 10:59 AM
    I did hear of people going to a T-Mobile store, getting the SIM card there and having a friendly rep set up the $30 plan for them. This is not guaranteed to happen though, depends on the rep.
    I figured I was okay paying $10 rather than making a trip to a T-Mobile store and wait in line for no guaranteed result.

As for coverage, I am getting 20Mbps down, 2Mbps up with Speedtest.net app here in Honolulu. Totally fine with me.
    Last edited by Clad14; 08-07-2014 at 12:39 AM.
    08-06-2014 04:38 PM
    Clad,

You are correct that it is completely rep dependent. I was lucky that I walked in to their bigger, full feature, store and it was empty of customers. The 3 reps were just sitting around bored.
    08-07-2014 11:00 AM