Hi,

I've been with T-Mobile for going on two years and think its a great carrier. I mean 5 lines with unlimited talk, text and data (2.5GB per line high speed) for $22 (plus tax) each?!?

Anyway. I started with a Lumia 521 and replaced it with a 925 and now have a new 1520.3 ready to replace the 925. The 521 and 925 were T-Mobile branded and locked. The 1520, of course is unlocked from the factory.

When I switched from the 521 to the 925, I just moved the SIM and was done. I can't do that with the 1520 because it uses a nano-SIM.

I assumed T-Mobile would see when the model of phone changed and made any adjustments necessary.

But now I am wondering if they do, and if they don't what are the pluses and minuses of informing them via customer service? To be honest, I don't know if carriers even do anything different between different phones.

I also am looking for advice about acquiring the nano-SIM. Is that something T-Mobile would provide for free under certain circumstances that I might qualify for? A T-Mobile rep once told me its dangerous to get a SIM from a 3rd party but I read later in these forums that T-Mobile doesn't even sell just SIMs but only SIMs with activation included. I don't THINK I should be charged for activation if I'm an existing customer.

Any input will be appreciated.
    08-06-2014 10:18 AM
    I'd drop into the local T-Mo store with the 1520 when it comes in...

They should be able to provide a nano-SIM and program it for you. Also an adapter if you need to swap back to a micro-SIM slotted phone in a pinch. I would believe the SIM is free under your contract.

There is nothing special they do network side (so far as I know) for a new phone. Just the SIM to authorize service should do it.

Since it is an unlocked phone, a rep at the T-Mo store should be able to help get APN and MMS setup.

​All around worth the trip to a Magenta Box.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    08-06-2014 11:17 AM
    Since it is an unlocked phone, a rep at the T-Mo store should be able to help get APN and MMS setup.
    All done along with a new SIM.

I still need to get an adapter for my backup 925. The store didn't have one and they say they never stock any adapters except for the older ones.
    Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 08-07-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-07-2014 02:18 PM