Switching phones on T-Mobile best practices

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've been with T-Mobile for going on two years and think its a great carrier. I mean 5 lines with unlimited talk, text and data (2.5GB per line high speed) for $22 (plus tax) each?!?

Anyway. I started with a Lumia 521 and replaced it with a 925 and now have a new 1520.3 ready to replace the 925. The 521 and 925 were T-Mobile branded and locked. The 1520, of course is unlocked from the factory.

When I switched from the 521 to the 925, I just moved the SIM and was done. I can't do that with the 1520 because it uses a nano-SIM.

I assumed T-Mobile would see when the model of phone changed and made any adjustments necessary.

But now I am wondering if they do, and if they don't what are the pluses and minuses of informing them via customer service? To be honest, I don't know if carriers even do anything different between different phones.

I also am looking for advice about acquiring the nano-SIM. Is that something T-Mobile would provide for free under certain circumstances that I might qualify for? A T-Mobile rep once told me its dangerous to get a SIM from a 3rd party but I read later in these forums that T-Mobile doesn't even sell just SIMs but only SIMs with activation included. I don't THINK I should be charged for activation if I'm an existing customer.

Any input will be appreciated.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd drop into the local T-Mo store with the 1520 when it comes in...

They should be able to provide a nano-SIM and program it for you. Also an adapter if you need to swap back to a micro-SIM slotted phone in a pinch. I would believe the SIM is free under your contract.

There is nothing special they do network side (so far as I know) for a new phone. Just the SIM to authorize service should do it.

Since it is an unlocked phone, a rep at the T-Mo store should be able to help get APN and MMS setup.

​All around worth the trip to a Magenta Box.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Since it is an unlocked phone, a rep at the T-Mo store should be able to help get APN and MMS setup.
All done along with a new SIM.

I still need to get an adapter for my backup 925. The store didn't have one and they say they never stock any adapters except for the older ones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss