Help on finding an AT&T-compatible "cellular repeater" or "smart signal booster"?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Help on finding an AT&T-compatible "cellular repeater" or "smart signal booster"?

Hello! I own an AT&T 1520 and am moving to a quasi remote area - I say quasi because it's a place with nothing but rich people who own horses and a lot of land and a cool central town, but because of the remoteness of the area, NOBODY - yes I checked and I do mean NOBODY - can provides internet access to the place I'm moving into.

Therefore, as someone who uses the internet a lot for everything from my phone to pc/xbox 360 gaming to work on my laptop to simple browsing, etc., my only option is to change my current phone plan with AT&T to one of their Mobile Share plans, which will allow my pc/xbox to access internet through my phone (a Lumia 1520), either wirelessly or by plugging the phone directly into the devices.

All of that is fine. EXCEPT.

I visited the house I'm moving into one day last week, and while my phone got reception out there, it averaged about 2-4 bars of 4g reception, whereas in my current apartment/area I can get 3-5 bars of LTE.

Now, I still have to test how well my laptop and xbox perform on the 2-4 bar 4G level of reception (let alone on LTE), but I came across some article that recommended getting one or both of these things called "smart signal boosters" and/or "cellular repeaters." I know nothing about them, but if one or both can help me boost my signal to LTE-level quality, I'm VERY interested in purchasing.

That said, I again don't know anything about those items, and I want to purchase the right items the first time.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about signal boosters and/or cellular repeaters that will work with AT&T? Which of the two is best for my situation? And can anyone recommend any models/brands/etc.? Or perhaps a site dedicated to these kinds of items with reviews and ratings, etc.?

Let me know if you need any more details about my situation in order for you to give me the best advice. Thanks in advance to ANY and ALL help!

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help on finding an AT&T-compatible "cellular repeater" or "smart signal booster"?

I was going to suggest a microcell to get access, but it'd require internet. and, seeing
as no one provides that - a total shame imho - a microcell is out.
have you looked into satellite to provide access to internet, or is
that not an option?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Help on finding an AT&T-compatible "cellular repeater" or "smart signal booster"?

I was going to suggest a microcell to get access, but it'd require internet. and, seeing
as no one provides that - a total shame imho - a microcell is out.
have you looked into satellite to provide access to internet, or is
that not an option?

I called internet companies, phone companies, satellite companies - everyone. My only option is a mobile share plan.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

UPDATE: While I couldn't find a lot of reviews/info online about signal boosters except for Amazon reviews, what little I found combined with the amazon reviews have led me to choose the booster I link to below as the best one for me. I will buy it sometime in the middle of next month, and will report back on how it holds up. But for now, in case anyone comes by needing one as well, here's what I found to be the best one out there.

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics - 460101 DT 4G - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Small Home or Office: Cell Phones & Accessories

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

UPDATE: While I couldn't find a lot of reviews/info online about signal boosters except for Amazon reviews, what little I found combined with the amazon reviews have led me to choose the booster I link to below as the best one for me. I will buy it sometime in the middle of next month, and will report back on how it holds up. But for now, in case anyone comes by needing one as well, here's what I found to be the best one out there.

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics - 460101 DT 4G - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Small Home or Office: Cell Phones & Accessories

Just as an update in case anyone in the future comes to the forum with a similar issue, I purchased the above booster (used but in "Like New" condition, for about 50 bucks off) and just set it up today. So far, at least in my room (where for me it really only matters since my office and gaming stuff is in here) I have gone from an average of 1-3 bars with an occaisional 4th bar to now averaging 4-5 (full) bars with the occaisional 3rd bar. All still 4G, which is a tad disappointing since I was hoping I'd get boosted to LTE, but after testing it out on a few of my pc games it is totally sufficient and my games play great - with perhaps the occaisional crazy lag that lasts all of 5-10 seconds and hasn't happened all that frequently.

Overall, I would say, at least so far after a few hours of use, I'm satisfied with my purchase. If anyone has any questions, post them below.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb