T-Mobile's WiFi Calling and Texting - Uncarrier 7.0 and 1520

joebirney

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Folks
hope all of you are enjoying your 1520. I have one that is working on T-Mobile but my coverage is not very good in the house. I got their "cell-fi" in home wifi-cell setup through T-Mobile to at least be able to send and receive text. But calls are still choppy and I can barely hear every other word even when I am close to the "cell-fi" hardware T-Mobile set me. My family has two Galaxy S5 and they were great and can take advantage of Wifi calling.

With T-mobile's announcement of allowing Wifi calling/texting is there any chance we can enable wifi calling/texting on our 1520's? I really like my 1520 but the home coverage issue is driving me up a wall as no matter what I do I just can not get a decent signal inside the house...and don't want to have to give up the 1520.....

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You really got TMobile's "wife" is calling or texting ...? :)
Jokes apart, you are totally on TMobile's mercy if you get wifi calling on 1520. IMO I will better get next carrier if I have to use a signal booster at my home. At a time I was in hunt of wifi calling, but I realized its waste of money on the carrier who can not even provide a good signal at my home (in mid of a nice town) and instead that uses my wifi to claim that they are best in the world.

joebirney

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input as it looks like I will hope and pray T-Mobile allows Wifi calling/texting on the 1520. Other wise I may have to sell mine :-(

vs6xfx

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Wifi calling on TMO require the phone support this feature, unfortunately, 1520 or 1520.3 do not have this feature unless that particular handset is branded to TMO. Signal Booster from TMO is a different product, it consisting to two elements, this actually boost up the reception signal from and window unit, then retransmit inside your home with the transmitting unit. I had their earlier model R1 and is waiting for upgrade to the newer model of R2.

This R1 work great on any phone support the TMO bands.
Sent from my RM-938_lta_lta_905 using Tapatalk

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good. I can only conclude that it hasn't been released yet. I have always had problems texting on my Lumia phones when Wi-Fi Calling is active. Simply put, it does not work - I cannot send or receive text messages when I am at home and my Wi-Fi calling is active (my Wi-fi network is a Verios FIOS network). I tried again last Saturday. My son did not receive a message that I sent to him, and I only received a message that he sent me (immediately) after I turned Wi-Fi calling off. My pohne is a Lumia 635 running the latest developer's preview - this never worked with my Lumia 521 either. Don't know if the problem is with T-Mobile or Microsoft, but they should get their act together.

joebirney

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Folks
thanks for the feedback. That sucks that the high end phones dont have these features. Since my wife/son's Samsung Galaxy S5 had it i figured it was a software feature that the 1520 could support. I was able to better optimize the position of the Cell Fi system they sent me. And it works better. I still have a few dead spots in the house (its not that big of a house). Still a major bummer :-(

Thanks again!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have always been curious why they couldn't implement this as an app so people bringing their own phone to T-Mobile could use it. Seems like that would be a goal for an un-carrier. I mean, I can speculate why they had to change the firmware but would like to know from the horse's mouth, Obviously if the firmware has to be modified, they can't reasonably make it available for every WP ever built.

Based on the shortage (non existence?) of practical VoIP apps, I take T-Mobiles inability to do this with an app points to a characteristic of Windows phone OS that even a deep pocket player like T-Mobile couldn't overcome. Hopefully they (and other carriers) might influence MS to "adjust" that trait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs