01-22-2015 03:45 PM
52 123
tools
    Customer service is crap actually. On the phone or in general (IE lack of Cyan) they treat us like crap. But then again Sprint wasn't any better I can't speak for the other two. The service alone is the only thing good about Verizon and AT&T just got a major upgrade in my area. I'm done with Verizon. The only question is do I wait for my contract in may or pay the ETF?

Verizon coverage where I live is the best. Customer Service over the phone has always been the best. As far as WP in general and WP8.1 specifically, well you can see the complaints all over this forum. My local Vzw corporate store is pretty much like every other one, never promoting WP.
    10-07-2014 05:15 PM
    Verizon coverage is best by far! Updates are generally quick minus 8.1 which everybody sees as the end of the world for some reason. As much as they don't support Windows Phone as much as other carriers, it will not affect you beyond the purchase of the phone. (the reps will do everything they can to keep you from buying a windows phone) If your phone is defective or stops working down the line, it is super easy to get a replacement. Call them, tell them what's wrong, run through some troubleshooting, they send you a new one within 3-5 days, you send the old one back within a week or two.
    10-08-2014 12:02 AM
    I am an ATT customer for the past 15 years and I have owned the Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925, Samsung focus, focus 2 and now my Global Lumia 930 and it works flawlessly on ATT. Popped my sim in and just works. You can't do that with Verizon and your choices will be very limited and stuck with what they offer. If you want the icon then stay with ATT and buy the Lumia 930 unlocked from Amazon or Expansys.
    10-08-2014 12:59 AM
    I am an ATT customer for the past 15 years and I have owned the Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925, Samsung focus, focus 2 and now my Global Lumia 930 and it works flawlessly on ATT. Popped my sim in and just works. You can't do that with Verizon and your choices will be very limited and stuck with what they offer. If you want the icon then stay with ATT and buy the Lumia 930 unlocked from Amazon or Expansys.
    You've been able to swap/activate Verizon phones by simply moving the SIM for a couple years now.
    10-08-2014 09:22 AM
    Yep, but instead of needing to switch I was pointing out you could buy a Lumia 930 which works on ATT via GSM tech not Verizon CDMA tech
    10-08-2014 01:32 PM
    My contract with AT&T is almost up, and once my 920 goes, I won't be able to get a phone on AT&T with Qi charging. I'm looking at the Lumia Icon, and it's a very nice phone. My question is, how is the service with Verizon? What's their history with customer care, update releases, anything and everything? Can someone fill me in? Am I making the right decision?
    I was with Sprint for 15 year. Moved to VZW 2 years ago. The service is really good. REALLY good... as in call quality and data. Coming from Sprint there was a HUGE notice between the two for me. I haven't had to deal with customer care a whole lot. I've had two calls in over the 2 years, the first was right after moving over. It was regarding my corporate discount. The other was just the end of Aug trying to get an early upgrade. That call was longer than expected, she seemed to bungle the deal a bit but it ended up being an out of stock issue. No biggie. I have no complains with dealing with CS.

Update releases.... LMAO. You can have a kid and watch them graduate... college... before you will ever see an official update. Just read the Icon/Cyan Update thread that has more pages than I do years on this planet. Apparently they employ snails that do their "extensive testing" of new firmware.

I don't have any experience with ATT, my perception of ATT is that they seem to get the new windows phone devices first. They appear to get the updates sooner. But VZW, the network is really good. I cant complain. I feel like a pay a premium for that. I mean, I could go back to Sprint (NOT) or move over to ATT to save some green, but I don't have a problem paying a "premium" for something if it actually works and works very well.
    10-08-2014 01:48 PM
    My personal experience with Verizon, this is not just one phone either, company plan 100+ phones and data, to sum it up quickly, they suck, if you can get good coverage with AT&T, which I use on my family plan, 4 phones, and data plan, I have better coverage, free visual voicemail, and with no company discount on my AT&T plan, it's still cheaper then it would be on Verizon WITH my company discount.
    10-09-2014 08:24 PM
    If your talking about WP....forget Verizon.
    PAC757 and Bodeanicus like this.
    10-09-2014 08:37 PM
    Thanks for the input folks. I'm pretty sure I'll be good with coverage and service, but how good is Verizon with things like OS and firmware updates? Do they keep those rolling out?
    I'd stay away from Verizon if I were you. They suck when it comes to support and updates for Windows Phone. Today they announced that they won't be releasing the Lumia 735 till next year! Bypassing the holidays is like sabotaging this phone's success! I'm done with them and going to either AT&T or T-Mobile.
    10-16-2014 03:55 PM
    If your talking about WP....forget Verizon.
    you say that , but Att sells 39 smart phones, 3 are apple, 3 are Nokia WP the rest are Android
    Verizon sells 36 smart phones, 5 are apple, 2 Htc WP, 1 Samsung WP, 1 Nokia WP, and the rest are Android,
    Sprint sell one WP
    So I would say that Verizon is displaying more windows phone for sale than any other carrier
    and all of them push there stock of androids.
    I have had good luck with Verizon service since the bag phone days, and customer service has been good to me when I have a problem billing, customer service lady said you have 3gb data plan, but you use less that 250mb a month. told me she is going to drop it down to 250mb and to try that if I need more call them and they will kick it up some. that was 6 month ago , that lady saved me $70 a month. enough for a new windows phone with Verizon..
    10-16-2014 07:36 PM
    I have been with at&t for over ten years. Have friends on t-mobile, Verizon, ECT. In the context of WP Verizon is very slow with updates. There are dozens of posts complaining about the delay and calling for people to get together to pressure Verizon to hurry up. As far as phones selection unfortunately for the foreseeable future Verizon will always be at a disadvantage as no-one else in the world uses cdma so the phone has to be designed specifically for them or add the radio frequencies and equipment to also work on Verizon. At&t will have always have the edge as GSM is pretty much the world standard. This doesn't mean they wont have a version of some cool WP, but it does mean the selection will be fewer and for those that like to buy their own phone. With at&t (also tmobile frequently) they can buy any world phone (as long as the lte frequencies they use are there) while with Verizon that's not possible, it has to be a phone made for Verizon. So in the context of WP i would choose at&t or tmobile.
    10-16-2014 08:00 PM
    Also At&t has been the quickest (of us carriers) with updates.
    10-16-2014 08:01 PM
    Not sure if anyone already pointed this out, but the 830 is going to have Qi charging on AT&T
    10-28-2014 08:10 PM
    My wife and I were with AT&T for 10 years and always thought about switching to Verizon when our contracts were up. We ended up in the mountains in Cali and At&t wad dead up there, data I can understand but no calls at all. That's when we switched to Verizon and got calls at least up there and was able to text for my job. I have the Icon as well, coming from the 928 and love the screen size and speed of it. Only thing is wish they made the charging port up top like the 928 or like the 900 with both charging and headphone jack up top.
    10-28-2014 08:21 PM
    Our family has been on Verizon for approximately 12 years and we are thinking about changing carriers. It just seems like they cost more and they have not updated my Windows Phone, they don't promote Microsoft and Window Phone properly, (they promote other phones) and they don't "include" their customers. In these tough economic times, I don't "need" their bigger coverage areas, if that is even still true.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 10-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    10-28-2014 08:41 PM
    Verizon has the best network but they have a poor device selection and a poor track record in delivering updates.

AT&T's network is a very close 2nd unless you live in the middle of the desert, so I would go with AT&T instead - better devices and better with updates. No point in having the best network if the phone you want isn't on it or if the phone you have on it is woefully out of date due to Verizon dragging their feet.
    10-28-2014 09:19 PM
    I would disagree about the phones on Verizon. Its true that at&t made us jealous for an eternity with the 920 but then Verizon got the superior, although boring 928. Right now the only windows phones I would consider are the retired Icon and the M8, both Verizon. The 1520 is nice but way too big, 1020 outdated and 820 not a real flagship. Verizon may strip the phones of personality but they eventually get some decent hardware. As far as updates other than Amber we have been behind and Verizon gives no updates. I Sta for coverage and because at&t cant match the price on my grandfathered plan.
    10-28-2014 09:53 PM
    They are like any of the other US carriers when it comes to customer service, billing, getting updates pushed out, phone selection, plan changes in the future -- make sure you have a lot of lube.

As for service coverage, though they are generally better -- however, even that is very particular in the particular area you are in, as broad as state/county down to as precise as city/neighborhood/house.

So try looking for some of the crowdsourced coverage maps as well.

One good thing, all of their LTE phones are SIM unlocked, so if you have to travel or anything you can just pop in a new SIM without worrying about an unlock code (also, makes it easier to repurpose your old phones as well).

Only two real reasons we stay with them: old 2004 vintage family plan, I have unlimited data on my line, discounted through work, and; the coverage for us and pretty much anywhere we go is phenomenal.

The old grandfathered unlimited comes in handy sometimes (that was about 2.5 weeks while we were moving):
    verizon-data-graph.jpg
    10-28-2014 11:03 PM
    They have the best coverage, but not good update schedules or support for Windows Phone. If you can get something on there with 8.1, like the HTC One M8, then it's a good bet.
    10-28-2014 11:15 PM
    I've been with Verizon for 10+ years. They've been good, for the most part. However, Verizon has been terrible at updating Windows Phone OS's. They practice, from my personal experience, has been to say for as long as they can that they're "testing", unless the phone gets to be near 2 years old, and then they're say, "That phone is too old and has moved out of support." I had a HTC Trophy, and when everyone else was at Windows Phone 7.5; Verizon would drag their feet for over a year, until they decided the Trophy was too old. "Well, shucks, your phone is too old. We won't upgrade the OS." And you know what, they're doing the same thing with the Lumia 928 and I think the Icon. I know that they said they're working on an upgrade for the 928 and Icon, but they're also saying it won't come out until some time in 2015. I bet my 928 will be "too old". How convenient for them. I can't say if Verizon will get to upgrading the Icon to the Cyan upgrade. You might be lucky. But speaking for myself, two times being treated like this and I'm fed up with Verizon.
    hedrek and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-31-2014 09:43 PM
    They have the best coverage, but not good update schedules or support for Windows Phone. If you can get something on there with 8.1, like the HTC One M8, then it's a good bet.

Outside of iPhones which are a special case, and droid(motorola) and the new motorola phones they are pretty slow to update.
    11-05-2014 08:36 AM
    Outside of iPhones which are a special case, and droid(motorola) and the new motorola phones they are pretty slow to update.
    Oh really? I thought Verizon was just ignoring Windows Phones in particular. I didn't realize that this might be true of other platforms.
    11-06-2014 10:20 AM
    Oh really? I thought Verizon was just ignoring Windows Phones in particular. I didn't realize that this might be true of other platforms.
    They are slow with the other platforms. But WP in particular seems to be pretty high on their list of things to ignore. my G2 was the last to update in comparison to the other carriers. But a month behind the international variant update doesnt even compare when thinking about my Icon.
    11-13-2014 03:17 PM
    Ha, I remember awhile ago when Verizon's Moto G & Moto X were some of the first of their kind to get an Android update. It was going around that "Hell froze over!" or "The Cubs won the World Series!"
    11-13-2014 03:22 PM
    To the OP: Not going to lie and say I've ever used Verizon as a carrier (though I've used them for Internet for the past 10 years now). They may have great coverage, but they're ripoff artists with their ridiculously high prices. Also, you're obviously into Windows Phone since you're here. Verizon isn't all that when it comes to the platform. Look at how the company is dragging its feet in terms of updating its offerings to 8.1/Cyan. Not good.

Also, I WOULDN'T recommend AT&T to you either, even though they have about a billion Windows Phones from which to choose. Another ripoff artist carrier. You're better off getting an unlocked phone and using it on a prepaid network.
    11-13-2014 03:59 PM
52 123