Thinking of switching to Verizon, what's your honest opinion?

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Currently att is offering double the data compared to Verizon... Some plans are $100 cheaper

But that only applies to lines with 15GB(doubled to 30) of data or more though. plus line access charges. not saying double data is bad but its still plenty expensive and the discount doesn't kick in unless you are are paying a pretty hefty sum to start.

$130 per month just for data plus your charge for each phone using that bucket. actually looking at those plans the carriers are all jumping on this shift and att and verizon are equal in terms of pricing.

Last edited:

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
ATT have the world phone advantage....
And yet, they haven't brought out a flagship successor to the 920 in 2 years?
I don't count the 1020 because its the same as the 920 with a better camera.
The 830 was just released and is basically the same phone as well.. just a different processor.
And I don't want a phablet, so the 1520 doesn't count either.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
AT&T replaced the 920 with the 925. So you're wrong right there. I also suspect you could get a 930 and it would work. So while its not an official AT&T replacement, its still an option.

ATT have the world phone advantage....
And yet, they haven't brought out a flagship successor to the 920 in 2 years?
I don't count the 1020 because its the same as the 920 with a better camera.
The 830 was just released and is basically the same phone as well.. just a different processor.
And I don't want a phablet, so the 1520 doesn't count either.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon coverage where I live is the best. Customer Service over the phone has always been the best. As far as WP in general and WP8.1 specifically, well you can see the complaints all over this forum. My local Vzw corporate store is pretty much like every other one, never promoting WP.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Customer service is crap actually. On the phone or in general (IE lack of Cyan) they treat us like crap. But then again Sprint wasn't any better I can't speak for the other two. The service alone is the only thing good about Verizon and AT&T just got a major upgrade in my area. I'm done with Verizon. The only question is do I wait for my contract in may or pay the ETF?

Verizon coverage where I live is the best. Customer Service over the phone has always been the best. As far as WP in general and WP8.1 specifically, well you can see the complaints all over this forum. My local Vzw corporate store is pretty much like every other one, never promoting WP.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon coverage is best by far! Updates are generally quick minus 8.1 which everybody sees as the end of the world for some reason. As much as they don't support Windows Phone as much as other carriers, it will not affect you beyond the purchase of the phone. (the reps will do everything they can to keep you from buying a windows phone) If your phone is defective or stops working down the line, it is super easy to get a replacement. Call them, tell them what's wrong, run through some troubleshooting, they send you a new one within 3-5 days, you send the old one back within a week or two.

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am an ATT customer for the past 15 years and I have owned the Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925, Samsung focus, focus 2 and now my Global Lumia 930 and it works flawlessly on ATT. Popped my sim in and just works. You can't do that with Verizon and your choices will be very limited and stuck with what they offer. If you want the icon then stay with ATT and buy the Lumia 930 unlocked from Amazon or Expansys.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I am an ATT customer for the past 15 years and I have owned the Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925, Samsung focus, focus 2 and now my Global Lumia 930 and it works flawlessly on ATT. Popped my sim in and just works. You can't do that with Verizon and your choices will be very limited and stuck with what they offer. If you want the icon then stay with ATT and buy the Lumia 930 unlocked from Amazon or Expansys.

You've been able to swap/activate Verizon phones by simply moving the SIM for a couple years now.

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep, but instead of needing to switch I was pointing out you could buy a Lumia 930 which works on ATT via GSM tech not Verizon CDMA tech

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My contract with AT&T is almost up, and once my 920 goes, I won't be able to get a phone on AT&T with Qi charging. I'm looking at the Lumia Icon, and it's a very nice phone. My question is, how is the service with Verizon? What's their history with customer care, update releases, anything and everything? Can someone fill me in? Am I making the right decision?

I was with Sprint for 15 year. Moved to VZW 2 years ago. The service is really good. REALLY good... as in call quality and data. Coming from Sprint there was a HUGE notice between the two for me. I haven't had to deal with customer care a whole lot. I've had two calls in over the 2 years, the first was right after moving over. It was regarding my corporate discount. The other was just the end of Aug trying to get an early upgrade. That call was longer than expected, she seemed to bungle the deal a bit but it ended up being an out of stock issue. No biggie. I have no complains with dealing with CS.

Update releases.... LMAO. You can have a kid and watch them graduate... college... before you will ever see an official update. Just read the Icon/Cyan Update thread that has more pages than I do years on this planet. Apparently they employ snails that do their "extensive testing" of new firmware.

I don't have any experience with ATT, my perception of ATT is that they seem to get the new windows phone devices first. They appear to get the updates sooner. But VZW, the network is really good. I cant complain. I feel like a pay a premium for that. I mean, I could go back to Sprint (NOT) or move over to ATT to save some green, but I don't have a problem paying a "premium" for something if it actually works and works very well.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My personal experience with Verizon, this is not just one phone either, company plan 100+ phones and data, to sum it up quickly, they suck, if you can get good coverage with AT&T, which I use on my family plan, 4 phones, and data plan, I have better coverage, free visual voicemail, and with no company discount on my AT&T plan, it's still cheaper then it would be on Verizon WITH my company discount.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks. I'm pretty sure I'll be good with coverage and service, but how good is Verizon with things like OS and firmware updates? Do they keep those rolling out?

I'd stay away from Verizon if I were you. They suck when it comes to support and updates for Windows Phone. Today they announced that they won't be releasing the Lumia 735 till next year! Bypassing the holidays is like sabotaging this phone's success! I'm done with them and going to either AT&T or T-Mobile.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If your talking about WP....forget Verizon.

you say that , but Att sells 39 smart phones, 3 are apple, 3 are Nokia WP the rest are Android
Verizon sells 36 smart phones, 5 are apple, 2 Htc WP, 1 Samsung WP, 1 Nokia WP, and the rest are Android,
Sprint sell one WP
So I would say that Verizon is displaying more windows phone for sale than any other carrier
and all of them push there stock of androids.
I have had good luck with Verizon service since the bag phone days, and customer service has been good to me when I have a problem billing, customer service lady said you have 3gb data plan, but you use less that 250mb a month. told me she is going to drop it down to 250mb and to try that if I need more call them and they will kick it up some. that was 6 month ago , that lady saved me $70 a month. enough for a new windows phone with Verizon..

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been with at&t for over ten years. Have friends on t-mobile, Verizon, ECT. In the context of WP Verizon is very slow with updates. There are dozens of posts complaining about the delay and calling for people to get together to pressure Verizon to hurry up. As far as phones selection unfortunately for the foreseeable future Verizon will always be at a disadvantage as no-one else in the world uses cdma so the phone has to be designed specifically for them or add the radio frequencies and equipment to also work on Verizon. At&t will have always have the edge as GSM is pretty much the world standard. This doesn't mean they wont have a version of some cool WP, but it does mean the selection will be fewer and for those that like to buy their own phone. With at&t (also tmobile frequently) they can buy any world phone (as long as the lte frequencies they use are there) while with Verizon that's not possible, it has to be a phone made for Verizon. So in the context of WP i would choose at&t or tmobile.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I were with AT&T for 10 years and always thought about switching to Verizon when our contracts were up. We ended up in the mountains in Cali and At&t wad dead up there, data I can understand but no calls at all. That's when we switched to Verizon and got calls at least up there and was able to text for my job. I have the Icon as well, coming from the 928 and love the screen size and speed of it. Only thing is wish they made the charging port up top like the 928 or like the 900 with both charging and headphone jack up top.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Our family has been on Verizon for approximately 12 years and we are thinking about changing carriers. It just seems like they cost more and they have not updated my Windows Phone, they don't promote Microsoft and Window Phone properly, (they promote other phones) and they don't "include" their customers. In these tough economic times, I don't "need" their bigger coverage areas, if that is even still true.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre