Thinking of switching to Verizon, what's your honest opinion?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has the best network but they have a poor device selection and a poor track record in delivering updates.

AT&T's network is a very close 2nd unless you live in the middle of the desert, so I would go with AT&T instead - better devices and better with updates. No point in having the best network if the phone you want isn't on it or if the phone you have on it is woefully out of date due to Verizon dragging their feet.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I would disagree about the phones on Verizon. Its true that at&t made us jealous for an eternity with the 920 but then Verizon got the superior, although boring 928. Right now the only windows phones I would consider are the retired Icon and the M8, both Verizon. The 1520 is nice but way too big, 1020 outdated and 820 not a real flagship. Verizon may strip the phones of personality but they eventually get some decent hardware. As far as updates other than Amber we have been behind and Verizon gives no updates. I Sta for coverage and because at&t cant match the price on my grandfathered plan.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
They are like any of the other US carriers when it comes to customer service, billing, getting updates pushed out, phone selection, plan changes in the future -- make sure you have a lot of lube.

As for service coverage, though they are generally better -- however, even that is very particular in the particular area you are in, as broad as state/county down to as precise as city/neighborhood/house.

So try looking for some of the crowdsourced coverage maps as well.

One good thing, all of their LTE phones are SIM unlocked, so if you have to travel or anything you can just pop in a new SIM without worrying about an unlock code (also, makes it easier to repurpose your old phones as well).

Only two real reasons we stay with them: old 2004 vintage family plan, I have unlimited data on my line, discounted through work, and; the coverage for us and pretty much anywhere we go is phenomenal.

The old grandfathered unlimited comes in handy sometimes (that was about 2.5 weeks while we were moving):
verizon data graph.JPG

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
They have the best coverage, but not good update schedules or support for Windows Phone. If you can get something on there with 8.1, like the HTC One M8, then it's a good bet.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for 10+ years. They've been good, for the most part. However, Verizon has been terrible at updating Windows Phone OS's. They practice, from my personal experience, has been to say for as long as they can that they're "testing", unless the phone gets to be near 2 years old, and then they're say, "That phone is too old and has moved out of support." I had a HTC Trophy, and when everyone else was at Windows Phone 7.5; Verizon would drag their feet for over a year, until they decided the Trophy was too old. "Well, shucks, your phone is too old. We won't upgrade the OS." And you know what, they're doing the same thing with the Lumia 928 and I think the Icon. I know that they said they're working on an upgrade for the 928 and Icon, but they're also saying it won't come out until some time in 2015. I bet my 928 will be "too old". How convenient for them. I can't say if Verizon will get to upgrading the Icon to the Cyan upgrade. You might be lucky. But speaking for myself, two times being treated like this and I'm fed up with Verizon.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
They have the best coverage, but not good update schedules or support for Windows Phone. If you can get something on there with 8.1, like the HTC One M8, then it's a good bet.

Outside of iPhones which are a special case, and droid(motorola) and the new motorola phones they are pretty slow to update.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Outside of iPhones which are a special case, and droid(motorola) and the new motorola phones they are pretty slow to update.

Oh really? I thought Verizon was just ignoring Windows Phones in particular. I didn't realize that this might be true of other platforms.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh really? I thought Verizon was just ignoring Windows Phones in particular. I didn't realize that this might be true of other platforms.

They are slow with the other platforms. But WP in particular seems to be pretty high on their list of things to ignore. my G2 was the last to update in comparison to the other carriers. But a month behind the international variant update doesnt even compare when thinking about my Icon.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Ha, I remember awhile ago when Verizon's Moto G & Moto X were some of the first of their kind to get an Android update. It was going around that "Hell froze over!" or "The Cubs won the World Series!"

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: Not going to lie and say I've ever used Verizon as a carrier (though I've used them for Internet for the past 10 years now). They may have great coverage, but they're ripoff artists with their ridiculously high prices. Also, you're obviously into Windows Phone since you're here. Verizon isn't all that when it comes to the platform. Look at how the company is dragging its feet in terms of updating its offerings to 8.1/Cyan. Not good.

Also, I WOULDN'T recommend AT&T to you either, even though they have about a billion Windows Phones from which to choose. Another ripoff artist carrier. You're better off getting an unlocked phone and using it on a prepaid network.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: Not going to lie and say I've ever used Verizon as a carrier (though I've used them for Internet for the past 10 years now). They may have great coverage, but they're ripoff artists with their ridiculously high prices. Also, you're obviously into Windows Phone since you're here. Verizon isn't all that when it comes to the platform. Look at how the company is dragging its feet in terms of updating its offerings to 8.1/Cyan. Not good.

Also, I WOULDN'T recommend AT&T to you either, even though they have about a billion Windows Phones from which to choose. Another ripoff artist carrier. You're better off getting an unlocked phone and using it on a prepaid network.

Really? That's interesting. I thinking of switching to AT&T when my contract runs out because they seem to be better at updating Windows Phones (and I would assume other phones like iPhone and Android) than at least Verizon. Although I have heard that AT&T has a poor record, as far as customer service goes. For what it's worth, I haven't had to use Verizon's customer service often (in fact seldom is closer to the mark), but they have been good. I hate to admit it, but that's been my experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss