Which is better on T-Mobile in SoCal - Icon or 930?

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all - looking to get either Icon or 930 for use on T-Mobile in San Diego. From what I have read, with both devices I should get SMS, MMS, VVM, and HSPA+. With the Icon, I might be able to get LTE but there may be issues with receiving SMS if I can get it and put LTE as my selected speed. Is all that correct? Any special configuration/setup considerations if buying used?

With Lumia 830 coming in at $450, One m8 having a poor camera, and Lumia 735 missing 3G, 4G, and LTE bands on T-Mobile, there don't seem to be any other current gen choices besides the Icon and 930 in the 5" size.

Thanks in advance!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Steven,

Neither of those will get T-MoUS LTE... The Icon has the right LTE frequencies on the radio, but the wrong class. Neither has the valuable 1700 frequency on the H+ radio for use in areas that have not been upgraded to LTE... You'll constantly find yourself much slower for data than any T-Mo branded phone, no matter whether you are in a refarmed area or not.

If you can't wait till spring to see what comes down the pipe, get a 1520.3. Complete frequency match for all data speeds available on T-MoUS. Seamless Data/SMS/MMS/VVM... The only thing you give up is WiFi Calling, but you do that with any non T-MoUS phone you bring.

Don't let the 6" screen throw you off. It's easy to get used to. 1520.3 equals or surpasses 930/Icon in every regard except ppi (which @ 441 {930} vs 367 {1520} you would have to put the phone ridiculously close to your face to distinguish between) or Gorilla Glass 3 for 930 vs GG2 for 1520.

Plus: 1520 gives you Glance and a microSD slot which 930/Icon doesn't have. The battery on the 1520 is astounding. Most users get 2 days easy.

Nokia Lumia 930 vs. Nokia Lumia 1520 - GSMArena.com

B&H Photo usually has the best price around on the Factory Unlocked 1520.3... And no matter where you go, it is almost always less than the 930!!!

Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 32GB Smartphone A00016717 B&H Photo

Make sure it's an RM-938. Some searches bring up the Euro version or the Asian and those are a no go for data speed matching.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My two cents: I purchased the 930 International Version off Amazon (FGS Traders) and I am LOVING this. Was previously using an unlocked 1020 ATT.
No, there is no LTE, but the processor is so damn fast in the 930 that unless I bench measure, it is really hard to tell the difference between HSPA+ and LTE!
SMS, MMS, Browser, Phone, WiFi - Flawless Operation
Since it's not a T-Mobile device, no WiFi calling - HOWEVER..
On my AT&T Lumia 1020, Internet Sharing would not work except resetting the networks with a foreign SIM card - which worked nicely until the 8.1 Cyan firmware update, which killed the workaround and any chance of Internet Sharing.
The 930 Int'l Version - Internet Sharing on T-Mobile works beautifully!!!

I love this, haven't looked back.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss