Never Knew, I can't buy an ATT phone without an account?

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This may just be my rage or annoyance, mixed with a bit of ignorance talking, but why the <selective assortment of expletives> in <more..> is Microsoft still doing this device exclusivity thing.

I walk into this AT&T near by, declined any help, looked at the 830 next to the 635 next to the 1520. Nice looking displays, but I let the judge in me come out. None of these phones can connect to wi-fi, though the LTE was working (I think) and the 1520 was plain broken. Both the 635 and 830 had app update issues (a fault of MS or AT&T), I checked the Samsung devices next to them and all fine.

I go back over and play with some stuff on the 830, but can't for the life of me figure out why it can't connect, or has such an ugly default bg.

Let me say this, we as users may like the Black theme, generally. But the average consumer responds better to the white.

In any event, I try to use the camera and notice they basically put the security device over it. Same for the 635 and 1520. Same for the secondary displays in the black, Sales rep accedently pops off the cover, hands me the bare phone and says, "check it out, it should be fine as long as the alarm stays in". So here I am looking at a newly released device holding it's cover in my hand as I try to take a pic.

I leave.

Something more irks me outside and I walk in thinking, you know what, if I get the fitbit, I'll buy this. So I go in, ask the rep how much is the device and he shows me 450$. I say, fine, I'll take it. But you need an account, he says. I say fine, (obviously a little jerky as I'm a bit annoyed), can I purchase just the device, full price, by itself. The response is no, you need an account with us.

I've still got to pay people to shop from them? MS announced this device as available end of Sept. It doesn't show up in the US until two months after announcement, and it's locked to a carrier who won't sell it without some kind of plan. Seriously? This is what I'm trying to support?

To their credit, the displays were on and minus the one broken 1520, they were all functional. Maybe my tone was a bit rough, but come on, they seem they could care less about a sale on this thing anyway. Every other customer in there (5) were there about iPhones. Not even a Samsung/LG was in the house. That has little to no baring on this, I know. But I'm just annoyed.

Did, in my rage, miss that there was some 0$ plan where I just buy the phone? I pretty much stormed out after.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The 830/Fitbit deal is there to entice customers into signing a 2 year contract, that's the end goal for them. If they sold you the phone without the contract, they wouldn't be getting what they wanted, hence why they told you no.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you want an unlocked no plan phone go to Amazon or any of the other places online that sell them. Why would you expect that you can walk into an AT&T store without having an AT&T account and expect to simply walk out with a phone? AT&T stores, like any carrier store, are selling tracked inventory on their network. You can buy without a new contract but not without an account. Go to AT&T's website and choose no contract and see what you are given as a prompt. You get two choices: new customer which leads to setting up an account and existing customer which offers the choices of upgrade and add a line.

Why also would you think they will proactively offer service if you decline help upon walking into the store? You can look to your heart's content but they will not pay much (if any) attention. Paying attention to the anonymous is not how their sales system is set up. Same deal in a VZW store. Last but not least, it seems by your own description as well like you carried an attitude from start to finish. That will get you absolutely nowhere. I am sorry but from my perspective I am hearing a lot of misplaced whining when it seems to be mostly on you from start to finish....

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll start off by saying I've cooled off and no longer am so bitter about the experience, that said here's my take:

Visa Declined
I understand the point of the promotion, as I'd hope most would also, my stance is merely on the stagnancy of the practice of carrier exclusivity (though I've been reminded by stephen there that it's been on Amazon, doh!).

However, the issue of not being able to purchase the device sans deal makes the point of the included fitbit moot. I may have been interested in it, but I was telling the rep I was willing to purchase the devise without it, which he responded by saying any device you purchase must be to an account. that is the major part of this I took, and still take, issue with (hence the title of the topic. But yes, I see your point and understand in either case, exclusivity is supposed to, some how for WP, sell lines.

stephen_az thanks for the Amazon reminder, I've since now decided to post pone my moment of thrifty spending. But to clarify, the point still stands that there is no way for me to purchase this device or any other, from AT&T, without an account (exception to GoPhone, correct me if I have this wrong). So I did end up looking online shortly after the post and got as far as the total due now for said new account as 449, but the lowest monthly, no contract was 45$. I don't know if that means I can purchase and immediately cancel, or if it means that I have to pay that to open the account and then when I close I lose that 45$ (but still have the period of service). I'll go in to find out.

As for the walk in, if I may clarify; I was already there and was offered no help, the rep walked in from outside and came to me, I said none yet, I want to look around. I then left. I returned 30 mins later and went directly to him, as he stated, "you've returned!" and I said yep, I'm interested in that lumia 830.
And yep as I said, in the end I did have quite an attitude, but take heart I have not blamed the rep for any mis-doings in this whole thing, I say this note as I'm sensing defense for him. The guy was calm and "helpful" albeit he handed me the backless 830 to handle after I pointed out the one on the main floor was set up awkwardly (then without any attitude).

That part I did not appreciate.

You can't hand a customer something like that and walk away without care. Yes, there were a few other customers (3 procuring iPhones) so I did have bitterness forming after being led to a corner with a device falling a part. I'm sorry, that part there's no excuse for and it's not a fault of the rep, but one of the store setup; if that was also him earlier in the day then so it is. That being said, re-read my post and note, it's not start to finish, it's midway to end. Doesn't make it a whole lot better, but there are why's to it. Not simply whining and moaning.
Most don't simply go around grimmacing with jagged attitudes... at least I home not.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand your frustration poken1151, been there done that with AT&T.

I quit trying to buy my handhelds there outright even though I have an account and have not renewed in a year or so. I've been going to the Microsoft store to purchase the phones and just picked up 2 on release day with the free fitbits, and no hassle about having to need any account.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you want an unlocked no plan phone go to Amazon or any of the other places online that sell them. Why would you expect that you can walk into an AT&T store without having an AT&T account and expect to simply walk out with a phone? AT&T stores, like any carrier store, are selling tracked inventory on their network. You can buy without a new contract but not without an account. Go to AT&T's website and choose no contract and see what you are given as a prompt. You get two choices: new customer which leads to setting up an account and existing customer which offers the choices of upgrade and add a line. ....

Is this an American thing? In New Zealand a carrier will sell you a phone outright at the off contract price without any problem.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I always pay full price for my phones and I've never been told no by AT&T. As far as the 830 goes, I walked in told them what I wanted, swiped my card and walked out with the 830 / Fitbit deal. $480 something after tax.

Not a single no word from the rep, no attempt to get me to add it via next payments, nothing.

I have not did a contract phone for the past 4+ years and I've never been told no..

I always go to corporate stores though and don't deal with the 3rd party affiliates.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Is this an American thing? In New Zealand a carrier will sell you a phone outright at the off contract price without any problem.

In the US, the carriers rule the world. Since we have two types of radio carriers, CDMA & GSM, they usually have exclusive rights to a particular phone mode. That gives them the total control of what phones are sold and how. Don't ask me to rationalize this process; only to say that their main interest is getting that 2 year contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon