At&t why u so evil?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Alright so I bought a used AT&T 1520 on Ebay and ordered an activation code to unlock it (I checked the IMEI to make sure it wasn't blacklisted, it wasn't blacklisted.)

Today however I received a response saying AT&T is refusing to give out the activation code because something about a policy... I'll quote what they wrote to the company in which I ordered the code from.

The Unlocking Company said:
Hello,

Thanks for your order.

Your IMEI was processed; however, AT&T has blocked our request to unlock it. AT&T has stringent policies where in certain situations they will not allow us to unlock an IMEI.

We will refund you via Paypal, it will take 1-2 days to show up on your statement.

Polices are always changing, so please check back with us in a months time. At this time, there is no premium option to unlock your phone.

Why wouldn't they allow me to unlock a phone? Wasn't there some law in the States that prevents this sort of thing? So now I got a 1520 that serves me as a media device only instead of an actual phone.... This sucks....

Anyone can shed some light into this, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how it works in US, but in Ireland in order to get an NAC you have to meet few conditions, one of which is to spend a minimum amount of money on this carrier, so you probably got rejected for this reason.

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
a current AT&T customer
a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network
The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...viceunlock%2Fclient%2Fen_US%2F&token=YtISOOTr

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I guess, I'm just to used to buying Canadian variants of phones and since they can't block anyone from unlocking the device, I got used to it. But since there's no such thing as a Canadian variant of the 1520 I had to import it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
AT&T is VERY annoying when it comes to unlocking.... could be anything from the phone's original owner is on a contract to aliens hacking the system from mars preventing you from getting the code...

I have had unlock requests denied due to using up 5 within a 12 month period.... when I only used 2.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well yesterday night I received another reply from the folks who were supposed to unlock my device, and it's confusing...

The Unlocking Company said:
Nokia is delayed. Up to 3 days. If we don't find out this week I will refund you.

Sent from my iPhone

This is pretty weird since earlier they said AT&T doesn't want to give out the code, while Nokia takes more time to process.... If I see a refund on my Paypal account this week it's probably because I didn't get it :p

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is probably the worst of the major wireless companies, and this is only one example to support that. Instead of dealing with that B.S., if it were me, I would sell the phone back on eBay and never buy anything AT&T branded again (I say this as someone who owns an AT&T HTC One M7; also bought on eBay, but at the time I got it, I'd been hoping it was a T-Mobile version).Utterly disgusting that you would have to go through this when you attempted to use a 3rd party unlocking company to get your phone unlocked.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I learned my lesson here to never touch any AT&T variant of any phone. I'll see if the one who sold me the 1520 can help me with their silly little Device Unlock form at AT&T since it requires the account number of it. Also I can't really sell it back since I bought it with a broken front glass screen, apparently it's a challenge to replace it, so I say CHALLENGE ACCEPTED lol. I'll probably record my front screen repair to help others that have cracked glass as well.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Alright I wanted to update this situation for anyone who's interested but apparently the owner of the phone before me wasn't in good standing with AT&T, he has unpaid bills with them plus the early termination fee apparently (the previous owner's mother is the one who's contacting me since he's in military school.) So AT&T won't unlock it until they fix their fees, or I wait a few weeks before the activation code is available to unlock.... Such a bad situation to be in :/

EDIT:

So I called AT&T myself and this is what they said.

According to them I somehow should contact Nokia to unlock the device which I believe it's a complete bull. But what the heck, so I called Nokia Support, and well I was right. Nokia said that only the provider can unlock the devices and they knew that they're the only ones who can.

So basically I've been lied too by AT&T. HUZZA, good thing I don't live in the States for this kind of BS....

Last edited:

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Been denied three times to unlocky 820. Was with them 8 years and phone was bought from them. Finally quit and went to consumer cellular who can use ATT phones. Still will not unlock it, but it does not matter now.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I think after I fix the front glass screen (because I am a self-proclaimed professional repairmen :p) I'll sell it off, it's not worth the hassle to deal with a foreign company that just refuses to give out a straight answer.... It's sad because I do love the 1520, hopefully there will be something like it with W10 coming out in 2015.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo