Windows Phones on AT&T

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T stores often get hammered on for poor Windows Phone support, however, I had occasion to visit my local AT&T store (La Habra, CA) over the weekend. I was surprised what I found.

First off, let me state that I am an iPhone user. I really tried to make Windows Phone work for me, but lack of VPN support and a few other key apps I need for my job killed it for me. Obviously I still follow Windows Phone and my trusty Lumia 820 sits on my desk at home so that I can get my Windows Phone fix when needed. I was visiting the AT&T store to upgrade my GF's 4s to a 5s.

Anyway, as soon as I walked in the door, the first display table thingy - like 6' inside the door - was evenly split between Windows Phones and LG phones, with the Windows Phones closest to the door. Sitting right there, running full color and sound demos, was a Lumia 635, a Lumia 830, and a Lumia 1520. Of course the table thingy was covered with the perks and benefits of Windows Phone.

Walking around the store waiting for a rep I found two other decent displays for Windows Phone; one with the HTC (for the One M8 or whatever it is) and one with the GoPhones (the 635 was represented again). I actually heard one person asking a rep about the 1520, and while I couldn't hear the details she gave out without looking like some sort of creep, she seemed to be answering honestly without any bias (I know I heard, "That phone runs the Windows Phone operating system, which is very good, but some apps might not be available for it. On the other hand, if you run Windows on your desktop or tablet, it integrates very well.")

When I was talking to the rep helping me, upgrading my GF's iPhone, I had to pull out my iPhone because an email came in (I'm somewhat on-call, so I need to keep an eye on them). He asked me if we were an Apple family, and I told him we were an iPhone family that runs Windows everywhere else. He asked me if I'd tried a Windows Phone; I told him I had, and that if it weren't for VPN and some key apps that aren't available on WP I'd still be using my Lumia 820. He told me, "Yeah, if Microsoft can get that stuff straightened out, they'd do a lot better. Windows Phones are really nice."

Anyway. I just thought I'd share the news that not all AT&T stores are anti Windows Phone.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was looking for phones over the weekend and was very surprised to hear the rep I was talking to say, "Get anything other than an iPhone."

Seriously, I couldn't believe it.

I also noticed the displays for WP were fairly prominent, and the deal AT&T is running on the Lumia 830 with a free Fitbit Flex was enough to get me to stick with WP for another year.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
very nice. my go to corp. att store reps carry all manner of phones. some WP, some iOS and one or two BB.
I have never been swayed from getting something other than what i'm looking for. in this case WP. when i
got my 1520, the rep was using a 1020, and was more than happy with it. and, my usual rep at that store
knows that i am a WP user and has NOTHING but good things to say about the OS. he's well versed on ALL
the OSes and knows the benefits and drawbacks of each.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I went to an AT&T store the other day and it was the first time the reps didn't either complain about WP or try to convince me that it sucks, and I'm pretty sure that's just because they were busy and hardly talked to me since they knew I wasn't getting a phone that day. They had two on display (M8 and 830) and they were at the back corner of the store with androids on either side.
I guess it depends where you are :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster