Anyone know how to request an unlock code from AT&T when you buy a phone online?

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So I bought an AT&T branded 1020. I figured, ok, I'll just buy an unlock code only for $20 and I'm good.

All the unlock sites I've tried (4 sites and climbing) have said they couldn't get the code. Either it's not in their database or AT&T just returns a "code not found" message.

So I'm stuck going through AT&T for a code now. I'm trying to apply via non-AT&T member, however.... I can't do so because I bought it online so I just have evidence I sent a paypal amount for it to someone for a phone. Not a real receipt...

Any ideas how I can request an unlock code from AT&T?

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
yes, but I doubt they will accept a paypal receipt for my money sent as valid proof though. I'm not an AT&T customer, hence I'm trying to get an unlock code

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The barrier to unlocking ATT phones got lowered drastically. Just make sure the phone is from ATT, not on a contract, and not blacklisted. You don't even need to be a former customer anymore.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The barrier to unlocking ATT phones got lowered drastically. Just make sure the phone is from ATT, not on a contract, and not blacklisted. You don't even need to be a former customer anymore.
That's correct. The link I provided has instructions for folks who are not AT&T customers.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

When did this happen? I tried to unlock my 920 a few weeks ago and was denied.

I am a former AT&T customer.
I bought my 920 off of ebay, and have never had it active thru them.
Sense the phone didn't match any of the phones I had thru AT&T I was denied.

Maybe non AT&T customers might have better luck.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
When did this happen? I tried to unlock my 920 a few weeks ago and was denied.

I am a former AT&T customer.
I bought my 920 off of ebay, and have never had it active thru them.
Sense the phone didn't match any of the phones I had thru AT&T I was denied.

Maybe non AT&T customers might have better luck.

2nd week if Dec I think. I unlocked my 920 not too long after I found out. Try the link Laura posted from a PC and give it about three days to process.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I tried it thru their website, but it was before you did.
They asked for my AT&T number and sense it didn't match the Imei of the phone I was trying to unlock, it automatically denied me.

Of course it didn't match because I've never had this phone thru AT&T.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm still stuck with the factor that my only proof I bought the phone is a PayPal receipt though...

If you do it thru the website and your not an AT&T customer, the only thing they will ask you for is imei number, first and last name, and your email address.

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
After you submit that information they send you an e-mail as they ask you for proof of purchase which you must send to their e-mail.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Aye, I've gone to https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ceunlock%2F%23%2Funlockrequest&token=9TCUFawg and selected non-AT&T. After I submit the information, I get an e-mail asking for the proof. :(

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ceunlock%2F%23%2Funlockrequest&token=9TCUFawg

If you're being asked to submit proof of purchase then you probably didn't click the right options.

IMPORTANT: The phone you're attempting to unlock MUST be AT&T branded and locked to their network. It will not work on international or other carrier branded phones.

1. Follow the link I posted.
2. Scroll down and check the "I agree" box, and click Continue.
3. You'll be taken to a page with 4 bubbles sitting on top of a bunch of fields. Select "Non AT&T Mobility Customer".
4. It will give you 5 fields, 4 of which can be filled:

IMEI (?)

Brand/Model (this will be blank until you put in your IMEI number after which it auto fills the space with the phones make and model. Type #*06*# to pull up your IMEI)

First Name

Last Name

Email Address

5. Fill out the Captcha correctly and click Submit.

You'll be given a confirmation email, followed by an unlock code 2-3 days after, if your phone isn't blacklisted or reported stolen.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 920 off of ebay also. It was a used phone.
So its been activated on AT&T in the past by someone else.

Dont know if this makes a difference, but the 1020 you bought on ebay is it used or brand new.
Im just wondering if they require a receipt for new phones.

mskoch123

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone know how to request an unlock code from AT&T when you buy a phone online?

Just tried the form as a non-ATT customer but got an error the IMEI is not in their records. Went to ATT suport forum and put in a ticket. Within minutes got a reply that they checked the IMEI and have submitted the unlock request and I will get result on Jan 5. Keeping my fingers crossed. Mine was a 520 purchased from Amazon.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
For the fun of it, im sure it will be denied or kicked out sense I am a former AT&T customer.

I just tried it as a non AT&T customer.

This is the response I got.

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device. Please retain your Request Number for future reference. In order to process your unlock request, we must receive a faxed copy of your original full price purchase receipt reflecting purchase from AT&T or an AT&T Authorized Retailer. You can verify your purchase was made from an AT&T Authorized Retailer by typing the store zip code, located on your receipt, in the Search box at this link

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone know how to request an unlock code from AT&T when you buy a phone online?

Just after I got the first email I got a second email. I wont copy it because it has my request number in it, but it is a link to confirm my unlock request.
I confirmed it thru the link.
I will post the results in this thread when i hear back from them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss