Anyone know how to request an unlock code from AT&T when you buy a phone online?

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
lol, yeah. Seriously, how many folks keep their receipts after the return period? I'm wondering if I should just take this to the microsoft store and ask them what my options are at this point. Maybe they'll let me upgrade it to a 1520 for a fee?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
lol, yeah. Seriously, how many folks keep their receipts after the return period? I'm wondering if I should just take this to the microsoft store and ask them what my options are at this point. Maybe they'll let me upgrade it to a 1520 for a fee?

Unfortunately Microsoft nor any of the OEM can do anything about it. The carriers that lock them are the only ones who can unlock them since the carriers are the ones who programmed the lock and the ROM for it. I've tried with an AT&T 1520 but sadly there's no way besides the AT&T route and even then the previous owner apparently has over 1000$ debt with AT&T so they cannot unlock it, until the debt is paid or wait 6 months. (Which is why 3rd party unlocking companies can't provide the code.)

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
ugh.... so does that mean the 1020 I bought is stolen/has unpaid bills? :(

Well usually when you purchase a used phone always ask the seller for a IMEI that way you can check for yourself if it's blacklisted. However for the unpaid bills it's a bit harder since they should of written financially blocked you could ask the seller for a refund if it's really blocked financially.

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
yeah, i checked online and it said it wasn't stolen, but yeah, the bill factor is harder to figure out. I think I'll just put it up on eBay or such and state it's carrier locked right now.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Quick question on this....I have a Lumia 635 from Go Phone but have been using it on WiFi only. Eventually I may want to use it on my T-Mobile account. If I request an unlock code now, do I have to do that immediately, or will that code still work a few months from now?

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Quick question on this....I have a Lumia 635 from Go Phone but have been using it on WiFi only. Eventually I may want to use it on my T-Mobile account. If I request an unlock code now, do I have to do that immediately, or will that code still work a few months from now?

Request it now and store the code in a safe place. The code can be activated whenever

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So what happened. Did they deny you?
Or didn't you get a second email after the one asking for proof of purchase.

I got denied. A paypal invoice isn't valid since it's not from one of their distributed locations >_<. I'm trying a site that costs $50 for the unlock code. Hopefully it goes through >_<. If not... ebay time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Request it now and store the code in a safe place. The code can be activated whenever

Even better, get the code now... Power down the 635, insert your T-Mo SIM and when you power up it will ask for the code. Put the code in and unlock your 635.

It is an irreversible process. You can even flash the phone with LSRT and it is still unlocked. Not just for T-Mo either. It will take any SIM for the life of the phone.

No need to squirrel away the code and risk loosing it or forgetting where it is... Once unlocked, always unlocked.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Not exactly always unlocked, OEMs can relock the phone if you send your phone for warranty services. Besides that, yeah it's always unlocked.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Even better, get the code now... Power down the 635, insert your T-Mo SIM and when you power up it will ask for the code. Put the code in and unlock your 635.

It is an irreversible process. You can even flash the phone with LSRT and it is still unlocked. Not just for T-Mo either. It will take any SIM for the life of the phone.

No need to squirrel away the code and risk loosing it or forgetting where it is... Once unlocked, always unlocked.

I have never swapped a sim into another phone, so this is all new to me - can the sim for the iPhone 6+ fit in a Lumia 635? Also, will that mess up anything on my t-mo account or iPhone? Trust me, I want to get rid of the 6+ ASAP but I'm stuck with it until July so I don't want to mess anything up on it.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I have never swapped a sim into another phone, so this is all new to me - can the sim for the iPhone 6+ fit in a Lumia 635? Also, will that mess up anything on my t-mo account or iPhone? Trust me, I want to get rid of the 6+ ASAP but I'm stuck with it until July so I don't want to mess anything up on it.

Well basically this is how a SIM card works. They're three form factors (sizes): SIM, Micro-SIM and Nano-SIM. The one iPhone uses is a nano-SIM (the smallest one).

Usually the newest phones (2014 phones) will have a nano-SIM but it is important to read the specs of the phone on the manufacturer's site (in case of the Lumia 635 it's a Micro-SIM) , if not you could either buy a Micro-SIM card at your telecom store, or a Micro-SIM adapter for your nano-SIM usually you'll find these adapters at big box electronic stores like Best Buy.

So yeah unfortunately the SIM card on the iPhone will not work on a 635 unless you either switch the SIM or get an adapter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99