How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
**Updated** Please refer to this article for further details on unlocking:

http://www.windowscentral.com/it-wi...mericas-top-carriers-heres-what-you-need-know

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ceunlock%2F%23%2Funlockrequest&token=iMFuWAaZ

Disclaimer: This has only been attempted by me using my personal Nokia Lumia 920. I got this phone off Craigslist.

IMPORTANT: The phone you're attempting to unlock MUST be AT&T branded and locked to their network. It will not work on international or other carrier branded phones.

1. Follow the link I posted.
2. Scroll down and check the "I agree" box, and click Continue.
3. You'll be taken to a page with 4 bubbles sitting on top of a bunch of fields. Select "Non AT&T Mobility Customer".
4. It will give you 5 fields, 4 of which can be filled:

IMEI (?)

Brand/Model (this will be blank until you put in your IMEI number after which it auto fills the space with the phones make and model. Type #*06*# to pull up your IMEI)

First Name

Last Name

Email Address

5. Fill out the Captcha correctly and click Submit.

You'll be given a confirmation email, followed by an unlock code 2-3 days after, if your phone isn't blacklisted or reported stolen. You should NOT need to submit proof of purchase.

Last edited:

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

Its not quite that easy. Once you fill the request out, you might get this email.

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device. Please retain your Request Number for future reference. In order to process your unlock request, we must receive a faxed copy of your original full price purchase receipt reflecting purchase from AT&T or an AT&T Authorized Retailer. You can verify your purchase was made from an AT&T Authorized Retailer by typing the store zip code, located on your receipt, in the Search box at this link:

That's the email I got. Minutes after I got another email asking me to confirm my unlock request. I did.

I did get a code to unlock my phone.
I didn't send a receipt.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Got my sis' Lumia 635 unlocked :p
Non mobility customer, I did save the receipt for it though. 40$ for a new unlocked phone. Awesome

PS When going through the unlock page. Click the "Non mobility..." option, and just fill in the IMEI and put a name for it. Then go through the emails and follow the procedures.
(Dont forget to confirm the request in one of the two emails)

Last edited:

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I got my unlock code within the next day. When i submitted my request I immediately got an email asking for a copy of the purchase receipt. I attached my invoice from the Microsoft Store and that sufficed.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ceunlock%2F%23%2Funlockrequest&token=TQpWLQyT

Disclaimer: This has only been attempted by me using my personal Nokia Lumia 920. I got this phone off Craigslist.

IMPORTANT: The phone you're attempting to unlock MUST be AT&T branded and locked to their network. It will not work on international or other carrier branded phones.

1. Follow the link I posted.
2. Scroll down and check the "I agree" box, and click Continue.
3. You'll be taken to a page with 4 bubbles sitting on top of a bunch of fields. Select "Non AT&T Mobility Customer".
4. It will give you 5 fields, 4 of which can be filled:

IMEI (?)

Brand/Model (this will be blank until you put in your IMEI number after which it auto fills the space with the phones make and model. Type #*06*# to pull up your IMEI)

First Name

Last Name

Email Address

5. Fill out the Captcha correctly and click Submit.

You'll be given a confirmation email, followed by an unlock code 2-3 days after, if your phone isn't blacklisted or reported stolen.

Just tried this. I got an email saying I had to provide proof of purchase from ATT store. I bought online from 3rd party (not ATT) Do I just wait for them to send unlock code? Also cost?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Never mind... they just sent the second email and I confirmed the request. We'll see what happens from here. Fingers crossed :)

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Just tried this. I got an email saying I had to provide proof of purchase from ATT store. I bought online from 3rd party (not ATT) Do I just wait for them to send unlock code? Also cost?

AT&T Authorized Retailer is basically a tech store that AT&T has allowed to sell phones with AT&T branding and options for plans. Doesn't have to be a literal AT&T store, just any official kind of place that sells their devices. Best Buy, Staples, Tiger Direct, Microsoft(.com), Office Depot, Target.... etc etc etc etc etc You get the point :p

As for websites like craigslist, I guess have the guy/gal you're buying the phone from write up a sort of proof of purchase on a piece of paper and throw a sig on it. May be good enough of a receipt to count too.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Any idea on how to get your phone unlocked if you bought it from a friend who bought it from ATT on Next? I went through the OP's steps and got an email declining to unlock until its paid off. Any ideas? Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any idea on how to get your phone unlocked if you bought it from a friend who bought it from ATT on Next? I went through the OP's steps and got an email declining to unlock until its paid off. Any ideas? Thanks!

ATT said he had to pay off the phone first. I understand why they have that stipulation, just wondering if there was another way/ company/ option to unlock the phone?

Again... It all seems to be back on your friend who got paid by you for the phone, yet did not pay it off at AT&T. You could try an unlock service, but that might fail for the reason you stated twice. The phone needs to be paid off. There is no hack, if that is what you are seeking.

I've gotten phones unlocked while money is still owed. It also goes to account standing as a criteria. I hate to say it, but perhaps your friend is not in good standing with AT&T. Perhaps you could get a refund from him and return the phone?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not much of a friend of he sold you a phone he knew wasn't paid off. Choose better friends. And get your money back. Done. Next dirtbag friend question?

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
This problem is just like mine except I bought my 920 on eBay and the seller doesn't seem to want to answer any of my requests for them to take it off their account ):
Knew it was too good to be true when I won it at such a low cost...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Basically you are stuck until your "friend" is eligible again for an upgrade, meaning that he's fulfilled the contract that your phone is still tied to. Hopefully he has continued paying his bill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo