How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Unlock first.... Don't turn the phone on with a SIM in it.

May very well be a good advise...something I didn't know when I bought my phones...but, I got two AT&T gophones for backup from Best Buy, turned both of them on with their sims still in, went through the set up process, turned them off, removed the AT&T sims, inserted the T-Mobile sims, turned them on, was asked for the unlock code, wrote the unlock codes I got from AT&T, and phones are now unlocked, and working flawlessly.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
May very well be a good advise...something I didn't know when I bought my phones...but, I got two AT&T gophones for backup from Best Buy, turned both of them on with their sims still in, went through the set up process, turned them off, removed the AT&T sims, inserted the T-Mobile sims, turned them on, was asked for the unlock code, wrote the unlock codes I got from AT&T, and phones are now unlocked, and working flawlessly.

So you had the unlock codes before you turned them on with the GoPhone SIM in? Or they sent you the code after?

Because reports are if you turn it on with a GoPhone or other ATT style SIM and then ask for unlock they want a length of service before supplying the code. Also if the retailer scans the activate barcode on the package and not just the sales barcode. See: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-just-$59-99-microsoft-store.html#post3319203

The sequence matters for getting the code, not applying the unlock. Can you please clarify which side of powering up with a GoPhone SIM you got your code?

Code arrived before power on with GoPhone SIM or code arrived after power on with GoPhone SIM.

TheAshigaru

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I got my unlock code a few days ago thanks to the directions on this thread for my GoPhone Lumia 640. Thanks to OP and everyone else for the directions and tips!

I have a question about completing the unlock though.

According to the directions, I just put in my non AT&T SIM card, turn the phone on, and then enter the unlock code. My question is that my non AT&T SIM card is from MTS in Russia, but I'm currently in America. I will be using the phone in Russia when I go back, but will I have any problems if I go ahead and attempt to unlock my phone outside of MTS' service area (i.e. not in Russia)? Or should I just wait until I am in Russia again to complete the unlock?

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So you had the unlock codes before you turned them on with the GoPhone SIM in? Or they sent you the code after?

Because reports are if you turn it on with a GoPhone or other ATT style SIM and then ask for unlock they want a length of service before supplying the code. Also if the retailer scans the activate barcode on the package and not just the sales barcode. See: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-just-$59-99-microsoft-store.html#post3319203

The sequence matters for getting the code, not applying the unlock. Can you please clarify which side of powering up with a GoPhone SIM you got your code?

Code arrived before power on with GoPhone SIM or code arrived after power on with GoPhone SIM.

I bought the gophones, brought them home, turned both phones on, went through the set up, then realized I didn't have the unlock codes. I contacted AT&T that same day. They sent me the codes 4-5 days later. I then did the unlock steps. However, I don't know what kind of scanning was done at Best Buy. Once these phones are unlocked, they are unlocked everywhere, no matter where this was done.

mtjazz02

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I just submitted my unlock request for my 640 yesterday at 2 PM. Purchased from BestBuy online. I had opened it and turned it on then put to airplane mode, don't believe it was ever connected to the ATT network but will report back once I receive something from ATT. ,

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

Going to try this again with a 640 I just ordered ($30 from Best Buy). This time I will NOT be installing a SIM until after I unlock it. Anyone want to buy a 635 ? ;)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Going to try this again with a 640 I just ordered ($30 from Best Buy). This time I will NOT be installing a SIM until after I unlock it. Anyone want to buy a 635 ? ;)

Yeah... The SIM seems to mess up the process if it is an ATT mvno. Just found that out with my 640.

I spoke at length with the Tech support at ATT and I think the solution is for me to switch my SIM back to my 1520 so that Cricket releases my IMEI from the 640. Not tested yet... I'm still playing with 640 and Insider daily.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

Yeah... The SIM seems to mess up the process if it is an ATT mvno. Just found that out with my 640.

I spoke at length with the Tech support at ATT and I think the solution is for me to switch my SIM back to my 1520 so that Cricket releases my IMEI from the 640. Not tested yet... I'm still playing with 640 and Insider daily.
Well good luck. No amount of keeping the sim in a different phone worked for me.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Got the unlock code for the 640 this morning, woo hoo! (Sad cause for a celebration.. But given how things have gone for me unlocking phones, it's a win. :D)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well good luck. No amount of keeping the sim in a different phone worked for me.

You may proceed with the shadenfreude. I'm stuck with a no go unlock. 6 months in purgatory.

Swapping the SIM over did me no good. I was advised by AT&T tech support to call my carrier (Cricket) and give them my SIM # and have them disassociate it from the IMEI of the GoPhone. I'm afraid of what that will do to my provisioning even though the SIM is now in another phone.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello! i buy 5 last go phone 640... the first try got the messge after a day but in the "here is the CODE:" its empty so nothing... now i try of get a new code but now after the confirmation i receive this "
Hi, Jonathan.

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Because of AT&T guidelines, we aren't able to unlock your device.

For more information about unlocking a device, check out our device unlock support page.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T

This is an automated email. If you reply to this address, we won't get it.

" so... any help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99